Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 9,297 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

I'll be relocating soon with work to the Chicago area. I currently live in a highrise loft in downtown Atlanta and would like to find something similar. Of the areas I'm most interested the loop areas seem to stick out the most. Although gold coast and the lake shore areas seem nice as well.

To be more precise in my question, where ever I do move I would like to have convenient highway access. I have two cars and a bike and won't be needing the transit. I'll be driving to various areas in the region and feel I need to clarify that. I used to ride Marta often here in Atlanta.

There are some really nice highrise buildings along the river at the south loop and the presidential towers also seem a good deal. I really want underground parking garage as well.

In a few weeks I'll be flying up to look at some places and was hoping to get some feedback from folks in the area.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Be prepared to spend at least $200/month/car for indoor parking in a downtown high rise apartment. Parking the motorcycle won't be free either. Insurance for the vehicles won't be inexpensive either.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 08-05-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Be prepared to spend at least $200/month/car for indoor parking in a downtown high rise.
Definitely. I've seen this with several places.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
It is difficult to give any advice without knowing your budget.

To me, it seems like you can find what you want in the west loop, south loop, river north or gold coat easily enough. Whether or not any of that is feasible depends entirely on your budget.

I think $200/month for parking is a lower estimate in those neighborhoods. You should be prepared to spend $600/month just for your vehicles. Chicago is not like Atlanta when it comes to driving. You don't need one car, let alone two for daily living. Now, if your job requires you to drive a lot, then keeping one car makes sense.

If you are really tied to having two cars, I think you should consider living in the suburbs or in a much less dense area of Chicago. Again, it depends on how much you're willing to spend each month simply to park your cars.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
It is difficult to give any advice without knowing your budget.

To me, it seems like you can find what you want in the west loop, south loop, river north or gold coat easily enough. Whether or not any of that is feasible depends entirely on your budget.

I think $200/month for parking is a lower estimate in those neighborhoods. You should be prepared to spend $600/month just for your vehicles. Chicago is not like Atlanta when it comes to driving. You don't need one car, let alone two for daily living. Now, if your job requires you to drive a lot, then keeping one car makes sense.

If you are really tied to having two cars, I think you should consider living in the suburbs or in a much less dense area of Chicago. Again, it depends on how much you're willing to spend each month simply to park your cars.
I'll likely sell the one car so that shouldn't be an issue. Yes the job i have has me traveling often and I must be mobile. As far as budget I'd like to stay below 1700 for rent. I don't expect I'll be there in any excess of 2 years so purchasing is not something I want to do. As to size I'd like a 1 bedroom or a convertible/loft type place.

I don't necessarily have to be in the most prime area although I'd like to have a neighborhood I'd be ok to walk to pubs etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM

240 posts, read 464,891 times
I love in the West Loop and like it a lot. Randolph Street has some of the city's best nightlife and although you don't get immediate access to the Lake, you're right by the major highways and will have an easier time getting around than you would the Loop or Near North Side. Also, a one-bed for $1700/mo is do-able.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psgibbons75 View Post
I'll likely sell the one car so that shouldn't be an issue. Yes the job i have has me traveling often and I must be mobile. As far as budget I'd like to stay below 1700 for rent. I don't expect I'll be there in any excess of 2 years so purchasing is not something I want to do. As to size I'd like a 1 bedroom or a convertible/loft type place.

I don't necessarily have to be in the most prime area although I'd like to have a neighborhood I'd be ok to walk to pubs etc.
Is $1700 before or after parking? I would stay away from the Loop and Lakeshore East to be honest with you. The Loop is the central business district, and outside of State Street, there's not much of anything going on because a lot of the area is either office space or some theaters (musicals, sometimes concerts). Lakeshore East has the personality of the suburbs and not much of anything going on either. Even if you lived there, walking to pubs would be further than you think. South Loop is better than those two but I still don't think it's to great standards yet.

Since you said you don't need to be in the thick of things but do want to be able to walk to pubs/bars and stuff, then I'd recommend either staying in Streeterville, closer to Michigan Avenue and an in between street like Ohio, Grand, Erie, Huron, etc. Or in an area close to River North like Huron and State or Huron and Clark type of thing.

I live in Gold Coast and it's pretty good if you want something quiet-ish but still has things around you might want. Rent for a 1 bedroom at my place is a little over $1300/month. Parking would be $180-$215 or something if I had a car (don't need one). I have food places near me,some bars, a grocery store, and close to bus stops and a train stop. There's stuff to do, but it's still quiet for the most part. If you do want Gold Coast, then I suggest you stay at least 1 street/block away from Division street.

For all of this, I'm assuming the $1700/month figure is not including parking. West Loop is another option and is an area, although still not as good as a River North/Gold Coast IMO.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Excellent advice so far! Are the city views good in the streeterville and gold coast areas? I definitely want the into em experience of the views. I love where I live now and really enjoy the night lights.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Parking for Gold Coast and Streeterville will be about $300 a month. Generally speaking $1700 will get you a one bedroom in a decent building, not including parking. If you look at older buildings in the area you can possibly find a *few* decent places with one bedrooms for below $1500, but they are few and far between.

The best thing to do by far is just walk around the area and find a building you want. It's just like anywhere else--you can have whatever you want as long as you have enough money. The real estate in the Gold Coast/downtown runs all the way from a kind of junky old place on Division for less than $1K a month to $1.5 million studios on Michigan Ave.

Generally speaking unless you are a millionaire you will be bargain hunting. The buildings you walk by and go "Wow, I would *love* to live there!" you will not be able to afford.

But, that being said, there will still be a wide variety of buildings to choose from. Just come here for a weekend and dedicate a couple days to hoofing it around the area.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM

413 posts, read 832,744 times
I think you need to adjust your expectations. You seem to be imagining a loft with great light, huge windows,and tall ceilings. Not gonna happen downtown for $1700 with parking. At best you are gonna get a mediocre 1BR. It will not be anything to write home about. And it seems you want to live downtown because that is where they have a lot of these cool type places.

Also generally the best reason to live downtown is that you can walk to work. In your case that does not matter. I think you will find some of the other neighborhoods have great nightlife and a better feel. Plus downtown is still really easy to get too. $1700 still isn't going to get you a swanky loft but it will be closer. If I were you I would look at wicker park, bucktown and ukrainian village. Cheaper, better nightlife IMO, some cool houses, closer to expressway, more parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago