Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM

837 posts, read 963,357 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine would like to stop by Chicago on her small road trip with her mother. She'd like to stay a night with me and I live in Lincoln Square right by the brown line. I'm wondering if there are any nice hotels closer to the water or anywhere nearer to here by public transportation than the Loop. I'm trying to avoid putting her up there and then making the 30-40 minute train ride with my friend for one night, then taking her back in the morning. I know the Metra is faster, but I'd like her to see the wonderful views of the city you get coming in from the brown line if we end up traveling to the Loop.

Also, since they'll be parking the car overnight, I assume it's risky to leave it on residential streets without any permits posted on the car. I don't have a car here in the city so I'm unfamiliar with the parking regulations, besides needing to move for street cleaning. The benefit of having her mother book a room downtown at the Palmer House is that parking will be covered (but expensive, I know) and she'll have Millennium Park to explore in the evening. The Palmer House lobby is also fun to lounge around for a bit with tea or a cocktail.

If there are any nice hotels to stay at along the water this far north, I'd love to consider her staying there and exploring what the neighborhoods have to offer rather than typical downtown tourist traps. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,968,047 times
I have done some research on this...there are no hotels on the water that I am aware, and there are precious few hotels outside of the loop and near north. There is the best western hawthorne terrace in Lakeview and I stayed there...there are a couple of boutique hotels in Lakeview or Lincoln Park, I think there is a Days Inn too somewhere on Diiversey or Fullerton. I could maybe find some links later but have to run now. There are very few hotels on the north side of Chicago once you leave the touristy areas. Some are flophouses so you have to be careful. I think there is also a Heart of chicago old style motel on Ridge somewhere up north.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,968,047 times
Here is one I was thinking of but its in Lincoln Park. There is never a good situation with parking in Chicago. Most hotels charge around fifty dollars or so for parking, maybe cheaper some places but not many good solutions to that. There may be some hotels in Evanston.

Hotels in Lincoln Park Chicago |The Willows Hotel

Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM

837 posts, read 963,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Here is one I was thinking of but its in Lincoln Park. There is never a good situation with parking in Chicago. Most hotels charge around fifty dollars or so for parking, maybe cheaper some places but not many good solutions to that. There may be some hotels in Evanston.

Hotels in Lincoln Park Chicago |The Willows Hotel
Thank you so much for at least confirming my suspicions, haha. I'll check out those you listed but maybe it's best she stay downtown. The train ride back and forth isn't the worst thing in the world!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,458,745 times
Motel row on Lincoln Avenue is just a little north of you. It's not near the water and it's not close to downtown but I'm sure it's cheap. Short ride on Lincoln Ave bus to the brown line.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,746,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Motel row on Lincoln Avenue is just a little north of you. It's not near the water and it's not close to downtown but I'm sure it's cheap. Short ride on Lincoln Ave bus to the brown line.
And it's definitely sketchy.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 PM

230 posts, read 386,961 times
Check out airbnb.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,861,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
And it's definitely sketchy.
A good place to pick up a prostitute and bed bug bites. Many of the neighbors have been fighting to get some of the more problematic motels demolished, and one seems to go every year or so. I always found them interesting in mid-century kitsch sort of way, and wished that some innovative boutique hotel operator could find a way to preserve them... But the demand for hotels on the old US41 route really dwindled after the expressways were built.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,861,625 times
It's not quite Lincoln Square, but I've heard some positive reviews of the Heart O' Chicago Motel near Petersen and Ridge. It's an old-school motel place that looks a bit sketchy at first glance, but I know people who have stayed there and say it is clean and trouble-free.'

http://www.yelp.com/biz/heart-o-chicago-motel-chicago

*edit* Sorry, you asked for "nicer" hotels... This is definitely budget.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,746,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's not quite Lincoln Square, but I've heard some positive reviews of the Heart O' Chicago Motel near Petersen and Ridge. It's an old-school motel place that looks a bit sketchy at first glance, but I know people who have stayed there and say it is clean and trouble-free.'

Heart O' Chicago Motel - Edgewater - Chicago, IL

*edit* Sorry, you asked for "nicer" hotels... This is definitely budget.
Of all the travel motels up in that area, this is one that looks ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago