Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

58 posts, read 147,237 times

Advertisements

Hey I know I've posted a few times about possibly moving to Chicago, but as I am finishing up my internship it's becoming more of a reality. I've looked around online at various apartments, but there's so many! I was thinking about visiting (again) and taking a bus tour of the neighborhoods. Are the tours a good way to get a feel for the different neighborhoods? Is there a apartment listing booklet that can be mailed to me with apartment listings in the various neighborhoods?? (Washington, DC has the Apartment Showcase).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
Hey I know I've posted a few times about possibly moving to Chicago, but as I am finishing up my internship it's becoming more of a reality. I've looked around online at various apartments, but there's so many! I was thinking about visiting (again) and taking a bus tour of the neighborhoods. Are the tours a good way to get a feel for the different neighborhoods? Is there a apartment listing booklet that can be mailed to me with apartment listings in the various neighborhoods?? (Washington, DC has the Apartment Showcase).
The best way to get the "feel" of the neighborhoods is to walk through them late at night. Make a list of those where you get a brick in the head or get shot at and those where people are friendly and say "hi" and pretty girls smile at you and then you know which are good and which are bad.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
There's really no bus tours outside of the downtown area. If you really want to get a feel then go to a particular neighborhood on the train and then walk around. This is how to do it... you will NEVER get a feel for a neighborhood by most bus feels period even if one existed.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Check out guides to nightlife, restaurants, etc. and look for the things that interest you. The Reader and Time Out Chicago are good places to start. Map out the places that look interesting and you'll likely narrow your search to a few neighborhoods that have a concentration of things that interest you. At that point compare them to each other based on housing prices, grocery options, transportation, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
TaKe the L to Logan square and check it out by walking around. Have lunch and walk a few streets. Go to Reno, Lula cafe or Dunleys on the square. Walk the boulevard. If its sunday do the farmers market.
another day take the L to Wicker Park and do the same. Eat at big star or maybe Belly shack.
Another day take the L to Southport and do the same.
Another day take the L to Edgewater or Andersonville and do the same.
Take the 36 bus and get off at whatever strikes your fancy and do the same.
Take the bus to Ukrainian Village and do the same
Get down to Hyde Park via L or bus and do the same. Eat at Valois.

There are other places you can go besides the above but they are the most popular. Then you will have a good idea of what is there and get a feel for the places.

If you do this for a few areas you will have a feel for the areas.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Taking the bus and El at different times of day or night will give you a different mix of people, and crowded or uncrowded. For example, the bus in the morning down Lake Shore Drive around 7:30 a.m. will be full of quiet people going to work. but 10:00 a.m. on that same bus, you will get the shoppers, the people with kids, and more strollers, and the atmosphere might be considered more "lively".. also if you want to really tour, make sure you go non-rush hour if you want to get a seat and enjoy the view. Unless you start toward the beginning of the route, then you can get a seat and never have to stand even when there is standing room only a few miles ahead. then when you take the bus or el at night, you would think its deserted, but theres lots of people going to and fro - out to dinner, from dinner, downtown to and from the movies and theatre district, and various students going home from college downtown. I have noticed these things as I have traveled the buses and trains various times per day and evening. You might get a few interesting characters on your way too depending on time of day.. they are just sleeping coz they are homeless and wont bother you.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
Its gonna take time like any city and neighborhood.

Personally I feel that I dont get the real hang of a city unless ive lived there for at least a year, and thats of going out a lot and exploring.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 PM

837 posts, read 960,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Its gonna take time like any city and neighborhood.

Personally I feel that I dont get the real hang of a city unless ive lived there for at least a year, and thats of going out a lot and exploring.
I agree. I fell in love with my neighborhood when I moved to it from downtown (after getting sick of living in the Loop) and now three years later I feel like I'm finally realizing the energy and social scene here and have decided to move into a quieter 'hood.

I think anyone coming into the city should narrow down their search to about 3 neighborhoods based on safety, pricing, commute, and the ratio of bars/nightclubs to college students in the area. Once they do some research online and gather a list of questions, they can visit the city and take a look themselves or ask one of the apartment finder agencies that will drive you around a little to get a quick feel for your final choice.

There's no way to tell if you'll make the right choice for you until you've spent months testing the area and people out. If you're a picky person when it comes to your living environment, sign a short-term lease for 6 months and you can have the option to move neighborhoods then.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM

240 posts, read 464,798 times
As silly as it sounds, start with Wikipedia. Learn a little bit of the history and culture of each neighborhood and see which ones you feel are worth exploring (you'll find the opportunities endless).

From there, I'd go to Wikitravel.org. The Chicago entry is one of the very best articles they have, as there are separate pages dedicated to the individual neighborhoods and what there is to see/do/eat/drink/etc.

Thirdly, if you'd curious, just ask on this forum. Never ceases to amaze me how many people in the Chicago forum are as versed in the inner workings of the city. Although I guess if you're on a forum dedicated to the urban experience, you're probably going to have something of an interest in cities, especially your own.

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 AM

527 posts, read 600,333 times
If you think it might be a dangerous neighborhood, of course, you can always drive through it at night instead of walking. I think it's also important to walk around the neighborhood on a nice sunny weekend day, too. Most neighborhoods, except the most extreme dangerous and/or lively ones, are going to pretty much look the same at night time.

And yes, internet/google research can be helpful. That's probably how most of us found this site, actually. You just have to take everything (positive and negative) with a grain of salt, since neighborhoods change and people's biases come into play.

Last edited by Bucktownbabe; 05-18-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago