Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM

77 posts, read 152,424 times

Advertisements

Chicago Encyclopedia is a good place to find history on the neighborhoods as well as current demographic information. The Chicago Cultural Center website used to have great neighborhood guides, but I think they took them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
You can't discover greater Chicago without a car. Forget about the internet and second hand accounts from locals, nothing substitutes for realtime here. Pick a nice sunny morning and just cruise thru the streets, both residential and commercial. Observe, observe, observe. Where you feel comfortable, park and stroll. Busy corners are usually a good choice because active, bustling commerce brings out the best in people and their neighborhoods. If you have any interest at all in architecture, you should not be disappointed with your experience. The neighborhoods, their parks, old churchs, houses etc. reek of character and history. Sadly they are disappearing and degenerating at a pretty fast clip now.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM

240 posts, read 464,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
Chicago Encyclopedia is a good place to find history on the neighborhoods as well as current demographic information. The Chicago Cultural Center website used to have great neighborhood guides, but I think they took them down.
And I'm absolutely LIVID about this. ExploreChicago.com used to be an amazing website and an incredible way to explore the neighborhoods. Now, it sums up about a 1/2 dozen of the neighborhoods in like 2 paragraphs. What a disappointment.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM

61 posts, read 105,889 times
Someone told me to look for trees in the neighborhood, if no trees, then don't go there. What's that all about?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
You can't discover greater Chicago without a car.
Ha, says the guy from Schaumburg. She said Chicago, not "greater Chicago." Most neighborhoods of the city can certainly be explored with out a car.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firststop View Post
Someone told me to look for trees in the neighborhood, if no trees, then don't go there. What's that all about?
That person likes shade?

I can't think of any Chicago neighborhood that doesn't have trees. The difference is that some residential areas have nice big old-growth trees, while more dense areas (like downtown and near downtown) and commercial corridors tend to have smaller trees (except in parks), because there's really no place for big trees to go. My guess is that the person who made this recommendation likes areas that are a little less dense and a little more residential/suburban feeling.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Ha, says the guy from Schaumburg. She said Chicago, not "greater Chicago." Most neighborhoods of the city can certainly be explored with out a car.
Much easier with enhanced mobility, been doing it since 1974. Why would the word Chicago not include the whole city?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Much easier with enhanced mobility, been doing it since 1974. Why would the word Chicago not include the whole city?
The word Chicago obviously includes the whole city. The city can generally be explored without a car.

You said "You can't explore Greater Chicago without a car." Greater Chicago tends to mean well beyond the city, and into the suburbs, which is where your profile indicates that you live and where people are more likely to need a car.

These are two completely different things.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 05-19-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM

410 posts, read 492,175 times
Get a map of the neighborhoods and walk. That's what I did; if not then just drive through them - get familiar with the borders, layout and street names. It'll help make you appreciate even the most undesirable parts of the city.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Take a public bus to the area, or a taxi. Then walk. Then on to the next area, and repeat steps. Over and over. Start with daytime visits. If you don't like it during the day, no need to re-visit at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago