Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 PM

68 posts, read 568,508 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Just wondering if anybody knew about the crime & public schools of some of these chicago neighborhoods:
-uptown
-edgewater
-rogers park
-west ridge
-north park
----or just any of the north side neighborhoods. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,745 times
Default South Side is best

all those neighborhoods are in the North Side of the city, at night they have a decent amount of crime, plus a lot of clubs,

Do you own a car..........Well sell it fast............
There is little or no free parking, and a lot of people pay second carpayments, to park in a garage, threee blocks from where you live.........

Everything is more expensive on the north side, and I mean expensive, your coming from central illinois, even the south side is expensive to you.....but cheaper than the North Side, The north side is Chicago 's Manhattan, you pay a grand a month, for a box with one dividing wall in it...........thirty floors up...............are u going to depaul, or Northwestern........then u have to live there otherwise u will be in traffic or bus forever

I do not recommend the north side of chicago, unless your Jennifer Anniston and can afford it, or Chaka Kahn, she will rob you in the lobby, all those folk up there, just seem so wannabee celebrity or snobby types, "they can afford it if they live there"

Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
MarquettePark - you clearly don't know the northside of Chicago if you think it is all Lincoln Park. Peddling in such stereotypes is just as unfair as me pedding in south-side stereotypes. I'm from the south-burbs and have friends that I grew up knowing on the south-side of the city (hell, I've been going to the south-side irish parade with my parents since I was a child) so I know what it is like down there and know the good and the bad, however, I currently live on the north-side of the city, and have for 10 or so years and I can assure you that what you have written isn't true (otherwise there is no way in hell that I could afford to live here on my academic salary where my rent is nowhere nearing $1000 and I live in a two-flat with a garage, that if I had a car, would be useful, and I know my neighbors). There are plenty of laid-back nice neighborhoods that are not full of 'celebrity snobby types'. Even been to Jefferson Park, Albany Park, Logan Square, Norwood Park, Cragin, Edison Park, etc if not, then go there and tell the cops (one of whom I know personally), recent immigrants, and middle class families that they are 'wannabee celebrity types" I'm sure they'll find that very amusing .... Also, in most of those neighborhoods, having a car isn't a problem at all.

I didn't reply earlier because I do not have kids so I don't know about the public schools, but aside from the school issue there are plenty of northside neighborhoods that would be just fine for families, and yes, they may be a bit expensive (but not nearly as expensive as the neighborhoods that the above poster seems to have associated with the entire north-side of the city, which is just as unfair as associating Englewood with the entire south-side of the city), but then again so are the suburbs, and so is most housing these days.

Last edited by j33; 08-13-2006 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,745 times
Point Taken...............

without knowing all the facts, from the poster, it was my intention to make the person fear and think about his or her new move..............

I am aware of the stereotypes between the two sides of the city, I wish to keep them going, to avoid the occupation, of outsiders............I personally dont want the olympics here, I dont want tourists here,

We have no terrorists, no natural disasters, little crime, 20% of the earth's fresh water supply Mayor Daley, Lewis Farakahn, and Jessie Jr. Forgive me if I dont want to share this city, (my savior) with the rest of the world.

The new stereotype being spread around is "women in chicago dont have abortions they eat their young.........." I like it,

Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
What is wrong with outsiders? I am not a nativist and have no desire to go the direction of Detroit or any of the other rust-belt cities. That people want to move here is great. Bring 'em on!

World class cities don't become that way by shutting people out.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,485 times
Thumbs up My Two Cents about Chicago Neighborhoods

Sigh..I just took the time to type out a lengthy reply, only to have it disappear when I tried to do a spell-check!

Anyway, basically I'd say if anyone is looking to find info on any neighborhood (and I think that would be in any area of the country) just put in the zip code in the Google search and up comes, just below the map options, a site where one can go to see oodles of demographics on that zip code, including ethnic make-up (as of the last census, I believe), weather, school listings, etc.

And thanks, j33, for speaking up about how it REALLY is on the north side (where I lived all my life, until 2003..I really miss "home"..LOL). We owned a small house in Northcenter. Within our family we had a mixture of Cuban, Mexican, WASP, and Palestinian. Next door, were Greeks, Mexicans and a Jewish man on one side; on the other side the couple still had their Irish brogue. You can't get more interesting than that! Thank goodness for no "shutting people out!" How boring life would be!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:58 PM

28 posts, read 180,078 times
Holy cow!

Grew up in Bridgeport - moved to Lakeview. Never looked back!

crazylikekelly - I would consider all of those neighborhoods as 'up and coming.'
Although Uptown has had that title for years and aside from a new Borders - doesnt appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Rogers Park has its good side and bad side. It's also close to Evanston - which is good I guess.

Edgewater is very popular with those leading 'alternative lifestyles'.

Checkout Lakeview. Also - Lincoln Park - if you are in your 20's and night life is important to you.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 35,949 times
I'm from the North Side - Ashland and Foster intersection. Where I live is a great place. (I grew up in Calumet City and Cicero, and haven't looked back since.)

If you're going for a good place to live, nice and cheap, on the North Side, there are some GREAT places. Stay clear of anything near DePaul and Wrigley. You won't be able to park your car, sleep at night, or pay your rent.

Generally, stick to Andersonville, the northern end of Rodger's Park, and Norwood Park. Norwood is a great place to live, and when I make the money (I'm a waitress, so blah.) I plan on moving there. The far north side is the cheapest, but you still have access to all of the good public trans. and the lifestyle.

As schools go, again, I recommend the Norwood Park area, although the grade schools near me look nice, I can't say personally what they're like.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM

86 posts, read 698,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylilkelly View Post
Hi,
Just wondering if anybody knew about the crime & public schools of some of these chicago neighborhoods:
-uptown
-edgewater
-rogers park
-west ridge
-north park
----or just any of the north side neighborhoods. Thanks
Of the one's listed, West Ridge and North park are the nicest. Rogers Park is a mixed bag: some areas are ok and others rundown, specially near the Howard St. train station area...a dump West Rogers Park is nice, espcially west of California Ave. and north of Pratt.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 49,025 times
Uptown is slowly creeping out of the utter hole it was in for about twenty or thirty years, but the downside there is that it's currently a mix of old-time crap and crackhouses and yuppie establishments. Very little in-between.

Roger's Park reeeeeally depends on where you're talking, as noted. I had a friend who lived in two different places up there, six blocks apart, and it was just night and day in terms of crime rate &etc.

Edgewater's pretty nice; I have a few friends living in Andersonville, so I go up there a lot.

Other north-side neighborhoods I know: thumbs up to Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Wrigleyville, North Center, St. Ben's, Roscoe Village, Southport, Boystown, all that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago