Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM

144 posts, read 271,147 times

Advertisements

McKinley Park is going to be the next big Hipster neighborhood. I think there's some already moving in (real Hipsters, not Wicker/Ukrainian Village Yupsters).

Lindy's Chilli is the best aspect of the neighborhood right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I know hipsters who live there now. But they're Polish and Mexican-Irish, are from the neighborhood and are unaware they're hipsters. Now you can't get more hip than that.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
McKinley Park: Sleepy, residential, family-oriented. Extremely few dining or nightlife options. A few big stores (like Target, Dominick's, and Jewel-Osco) and strip malls. Really nice big park by city standards. In another recent thread I said it felt suburban to me because of all these things. Nobody appeared to agree with me, but I stand by it.

I don't think I've ever seen a single "hipster" there. I guess a few could be trickling over from Pilsen or Bridgeport by now (I haven't really spent time there in almost a year), but it's difficult for me to imagine. It has none of the things hipsters would want, except cheap housing and an El line.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 05-14-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
It really depends on your situation. If it's 100 percent driven by cost and you just need a place to crash, or you want to be left alone while you work on the great American novel, by all means. On the other hand I can't think of a single reason anyone not from the area would want to live right there.

Although, it does have a pretty distinct vibe IMO; you know you are in a "real" Chicago neighborhood. So if that is your bag, go for it.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
McKinley Park: Sleepy, residential, family-oriented. Extremely few dining or nightlife options. A few big stores (like Target, Dominick's, and Jewel-Osco) and strip malls. Really nice park. In another recent thread I said it felt suburban to me because of all these things. Nobody appeared to agree with me, but I stand by it.

I don't think I've ever seen a single "hipster" there. I guess a few could be trickling over from Pilsen or Bridgeport by now (I haven't really spent time there in almost a year), but it's difficult for me to imagine. It has none of the things hipsters would want, except cheap housing and an El line.
There are a few. I've read their blogs. LOL. But it's certainly not a "hipster" vibe.

Though I suppose gangbangers might be considered hipsters. I actually had a friend who I had this discussion with. She got dumped by a dirty hipster and I said she has to lower her bar to thugs, and we decided that thugs might be the new hipsters.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It really depends on your situation. If it's 100 percent driven by cost and you just need a place to crash, or you want to be left alone while you work on the great American novel, by all means. On the other hand I can't think of a single reason anyone not from the area would want to live right there.
And that basically sums up the entire City-Data Chicago board, doesn't it? Thousands of people from small midwestern towns all trying to cram into the same few northside neighborhoods, then complaining because they can't find a place they can afford and have to slum it with the immigrants way up in Old Irving Park.

Meanwhile the people FROM Chicago have no problems paying their rent, because they're not trying to impress anyone with their address.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Meanwhile the people FROM Chicago have no problems paying their rent, because they're not trying to impress anyone with their address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago