Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM

51 posts, read 114,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I've come looking for some moving advice. (Again!) I am a CPS teacher working down by the Skyway/East Side. The commute isn't the worst if I leave at a good time, however it can get pretty bad, especially on Fridays. Every time I'm sitting on the Dan Ryan I dream of getting off before Roosevelt and not sitting in traffic.

Someone suggested Bridgeport as a potential next move for me. I am currently in Avondale and LOVE it, but I have been everywhere including Ukrainian Village and Lakeview. I'm looking for a 1BR with an office or 2BR. ($900-1100/mo) I like that Avondale has some bars and restaurants to visit, but it's not too crowded or flashy like Lakeview was. It feels like a real neighborhood and I appreciate that. (My dog and I are pretty quiet and boring!) Will I get that same vibe in Bridgeport?

Also, I am open to other south side suggestions for a busy professional. I am admittedly a commuter and not as familiar with these neighborhoods as much as the north and west sides.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,926,509 times
I used to make that commute. It really does make a difference if you live south of the downtown traffic. Hyde Park, Bridgeport, and Pilsen are all good for that. Hyde Park has the commuting advantage of being further south, while the other two have the advantage of being close to the expressway. Bridgeport would be a little better than Pilsen, commute-wise, because you can exit before you hit the interchange with 55, which can be messy some evenings. I do in fact think Bridgeport has the kind of vibe you're describing, too, and it fits your price range, so I can see why other people recommended it based on what you're looking for. I'd recommend living in the eastern halft of the neighborhood, which has more bars/restaurants to walk to (though still not a ton) and is closer to the expressway for your commute, but I wouldn't rule out the rest of the neighborhood, either, necessarily.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Maybe stop by those neighborhoods on your way home from work and drive around them if you haven't. Besides letting you see what's there, that would give you an idea of what your commute would be like, too.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,796,801 times
Bridgeport is a "regular guy" neighborhood and has much in common with Avondale. Very "diverse": Irish, Italians, Poles, Mexicans, Lithuanians, Chinese among others. von Ribbentrop had kinsmen in the neighborhood. A mix of social classes with some people there having a surprising amount of dough. As for it's not having lots of taverns and restaurants, well it has enough of them. Besides, Bridgenport is the kind of neighborhood where you only frequent one or two taverns anyway, Sheehan's and Schaller's say. Some very good bakeries in the neighborhood and not far from Huck Finn, perhaps the best diner in Chicago.

My wife says the women who hang around the Curves on Wallace are a hoot.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Bridgenport is the kind of neighborhood where you only frequent one or two taverns anyway, Sheehan's and Schaller's say.
I'm a fan of Maria's and Bernice's.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM

51 posts, read 114,682 times
Quote:
Bridgeport is a "regular guy" neighborhood and has much in common with Avondale.
Oh, I will so miss Avondale. I am fine with "just enough." I go to Small Bar a lot in Avondale. That's pretty much it. I work and then my friends and I hang out for a drink...maybe catch a movie on the weekend. I'm not an 18 year old college student partying it up in Lakeview anymore. That being said, I think the "suburban" feel is a little too quiet. It would make the most sense for me to move to Hegewisch, but I just can't justify it. Snore!

I have been to Pilsen more than Bridgeport and find that area very interesting. I will have to check out both places.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,796,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I'm a fan of Maria's and Bernice's.
I've never been in Maria's but from what I hear at Tommy's it's not my kind of joint.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I've never been in Maria's but from what I hear at Tommy's it's not my kind of joint.
It's a little on the young and hip side. If nothing else it's good for carry-out to one of the several good BYOB places around. Pleasant House Bakery next door is awesome.

Bernice's has a little more of a mixture between the younger artsy crowd (spillover across the river from east Pilsen, maybe?) and an older local crowd, at least the couple of times I've been there. There was a pretty good jazz band playing there one of the two times I went. Super friendly laid-back place.

You're probably correct about Sheehan's, since the only thing I found when doing a google search for it was this:

Joe Sheehan's 35th Street Tap - Bridgeport - Chicago, IL

Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,509,923 times
Good information @4.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Working at far south / east as the OP I am surprised that they have not investigated Hyde Park -- assuming you can find a affordable apartment with decent parking it would make for a much easier commute and the amenities are going to be far superior to Bridgeport. Though I enjoy Sox games there are lots of negatives to dealing with the crowds if you are not into that scene and not a whole lot of positives...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago