Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Working at far south / east as the OP I am surprised that they have not investigated Hyde Park -- assuming you can find a affordable apartment with decent parking it would make for a much easier commute and the amenities are going to be far superior to Bridgeport. Though I enjoy Sox games there are lots of negatives to dealing with the crowds if you are not into that scene and not a whole lot of positives...
Yeah, I mentioned Hyde Park as an option, but cost difference would be a factor. Also, the commute is not "much easier," despite the closer distance, due to distance from the expressway. Side streets during rush hour are pretty slow, and the reverse commute on the Skyway / Dan Ryan is a breeze, as long as you stay south of the junction with the Stevenson. You'd be putting more miles on your car going to Bridgeport, but commuting time to HP and BP is similar, in my experience. (I've driven both during rush hour many times.) Another factor to consider is ease of getting to Downtown and the North Side via public transportation on evenings and weekends, if that's where the OP's friends and activities are. It's easier via Orange Line (Bridgeport) and Pink Line (Pilsen) than it is via bus from Hyde Park. Those are the reasons I would imagine friends suggested Bridgeport, but I certainly wouldn't rule out HP if I were the OP, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:06 PM

51 posts, read 114,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Another factor to consider is ease of getting to Downtown and the North Side via public transportation on evenings and weekends, if that's where the OP's friends and activities are. It's easier via Orange Line (Bridgeport) and Pink Line (Pilsen) than it is via bus from Hyde Park.

Bingo. I haven't ruled out HP entirely, but I have only 1 friend down there and we NEVER see him. He just seems so far away!

Most of my friends are North and West. It would be nice to be able to get to them in a decently short amount of time. Also, I don't want to be That person that moved entirely based on their job.

Bridgeport and Pilsen seem like a nice middle ground. I'm excited to look!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
I second (third? fourth? whatever the count is) Bridgeport based on what the OP is looking for. I live in Pilsen and work in the same direction as the OP, and the last few miles of the Dan Ryan (between Pilsen and Bridgeport) is the only place I regularly run into stalled traffic. Sometimes it's even faster to exit at Bridgeport or Chinatown and go up Halsted to Pilsen. Living in Bridgeport vs. Pilsen would consistently shave several minutes off of my commute, so I can only imagine what it would save vs. Avondale. The OP basically commutes the entire length of the city, which has got to be brutal during rush hour.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:19 PM

51 posts, read 114,485 times
It's a solid hour Mon-Thursday. On Friday, it's not that uncommon to sit for 2 hours. More in any kind of precipitation! It takes me longer to get from the Loop to Avondale than from the Indiana line to the Loop.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
It's a solid hour Mon-Thursday. On Friday, it's not that uncommon to sit for 2 hours. More in any kind of precipitation! It takes me longer to get from the Loop to Avondale than from the Indiana line to the Loop.
I don't doubt it. Not only is there usually more traffic on the North Side anyway, you're also going with the direction mainstream commuter traffic up there, while you're going with the reverse commute traffic south of the Loop.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Much easier, because there is never really anything to slow down traffic on Stony Island -- in addition to much slower traffic when there is Sox game you are also dealing with the traffic on Dan Ryan.

Though the google estimate is similar I know from experience it is far faster to travel from Hyde Park.

5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637 to S Commercial Ave & E 97th St, Chicago, IL 60617 - Google Maps

vs

Schaller's Pump to S Commercial Ave & E 97th St, Chicago, IL 60617 - Google Maps

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Much easier, because there is never really anything to slow down traffic on Stony Island -- in addition to much slower traffic when there is Sox game you are also dealing with the traffic on Dan Ryan.
Gee, thanks, Chet, for attempting to tell us all about our commutes that we do every day. Moderator cut: personal attackWhen we want to know about commutes in DuPage County, we'll ask. When people want to know about commutes in the city, they probably want to hear from the people who make those commutes. You clearly do not know "from experience," because your information, as usual, is completely wrong.

Reverse commute traffic on the Dan Ryan south of 55 is almost non-existent. I drive it every day, as does the OP, and at least one other poster in this thread. We have this one covered. Go away. Thanks.

Edit: By the way, did you notice that you searched directions using the CLOSEST POINT of Hyde Park, but well into the center of Bridgeport, and still the times are the same, even when it's not rush hour? At least try to cite something that backs your point instead of the other person's next time. Jesus H. Christ you're a moron.

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The PM westbound (northerly) commute is hardly a "reverse commute" from the far southeast side -- the volume of traffic that travels up the Dan Ryan, especially trucks and other commercial vehicles, rarely travels at the limit and has shown consistently deterioration in speeds -- I-90/94 Dan Ryan Expressway - Express -- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning

When I lived in Hyde Park and and worked further south there were far less amenities in the neighborhood than there are today. Oddly in some ways the changes that have happened in Bridgeport have increased its appeal as much improvements that the UofC have engineered for Hyde Park -- though there are now more investors with ties to Chinatown that have expanded into Bridgeport those investments do not seem as geared toward what would be considered "professional class" residential consumers.

Hyde Park is far more connected to the lakefront than a neighborhood like Pilsen or Bridgeport and it is making an effort to convince northside friends to explore the greater south side.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
Hi, all! I've come looking for some moving advice. (Again!) I am a CPS teacher working down by the Skyway/East Side. The commute isn't the worst if I leave at a good time, however it can get pretty bad, especially on Fridays. Every time I'm sitting on the Dan Ryan I dream of getting off before Roosevelt and not sitting in traffic.

Someone suggested Bridgeport as a potential next move for me. I am currently in Avondale and LOVE it, but I have been everywhere including Ukrainian Village and Lakeview. I'm looking for a 1BR with an office or 2BR. ($900-1100/mo) I like that Avondale has some bars and restaurants to visit, but it's not too crowded or flashy like Lakeview was. It feels like a real neighborhood and I appreciate that. (My dog and I are pretty quiet and boring!) Will I get that same vibe in Bridgeport?

Also, I am open to other south side suggestions for a busy professional. I am admittedly a commuter and not as familiar with these neighborhoods as much as the north and west sides.

Thanks!
Hi,

I live in Avondale and I head down to Bridgeport from time to time, mostly to visit the nature preserve at 27th and Halsted (great skyline view from the top of that hill, BTW). If you are comfortable in one, chances are you will like the other. When the weather is warm, Bridgeport has a lot of kids playing sports out in the street, people grilling on the sidewalk or just sitting around shooting the ****, just like Avondale. The main difference I can see is that Avondale is very Mexican/South American, whereas Bridgeport seems very racially mixed. Also Bridgeport is a bit prettier in terms of architecture and having less litter.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
I made that drive (Skyway to Dan Ryan northbound) at rush hour this evening for the first time ever. Not surprisingly, my experience was identical to that reported by the posters who drive it daily. Traffic clear and moving at high speed all the way to the Bridgeport exits and past them, then gridlock as you hit the 55 interchange just before the Pilsen (18th/Cermak) exit. Just thought I'd add yet another data point, not that the OP needs it since she drives it daily. Bridgeport looks like the perfect spot to live for that commute, IMO. Pilsen wouldn't be too much worse since you'd only have a mile or so of Gridlock, though. I'm sure on Sox game nights it's a little worse as you hit Bridgeport, or at least it would be if people went to Sox games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago