Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM

40 posts, read 85,905 times

Advertisements

I am going to relocate to Chicago this summer. The last time I was there, I drove north through the Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas up to Belmont and liked the neighborhoods. However, the apartments that are currently available are a little more than I'd like to spend. I was thinking about looking a little further north to find some cheaper rents, but read on another forum not to go too far north or safety can become an issue. So how far north can a young female go and still feel safe commuting late at night? At what point going north does it become safe again? I also prefer trains over buses, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2013 View Post
I am going to relocate to Chicago this summer. The last time I was there, I drove north through the Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas up to Belmont and liked the neighborhoods. However, the apartments that are currently available are a little more than I'd like to spend. I was thinking about looking a little further north to find some cheaper rents, but read on another forum not to go too far north or safety can become an issue. So how far north can a young female go and still feel safe commuting late at night? At what point going north does it become safe again? I also prefer trains over buses, if possible.
1) What is your monthly budget? Nobody can help you unless they know what you can comfortably pay.

2) Safety becoming an issue north? In a few small areas yes and there's a few shady areas in some far north areas, but on the whole? It's still very safe on average

Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM

I was hoping to spend no more than $1200 for a one bedroom. I am getting quotes of around $1600 in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, and under $1,000 from Edgewater and further north. The commute downtown starts getting a little long there though. For example, google maps had Rogers Park as a 50+ minute commute. I've seen previous threads here that Edgewater and Uptown might not be safe, but maybe that was very specific areas.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to spend no more than $1200 for a one bedroom. I am getting quotes of around $1600 in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, and under $1,000 from Edgewater and further north. The commute downtown starts getting a little long there though. For example, google maps had Rogers Park as a 50+ minute commute. I've seen previous threads here that Edgewater and Uptown might not be safe, but maybe that was very specific areas.
$1600/month for Lincoln Park? I don't 'even pay that much in the Gold Coast, which is more expensive on average than Lincoln Park. What kind of places are you looking for??

I'm guessing either the vacancy rate is even lower right now and all the normal priced places are taken in that area or your standards are too high. I would look in the neighborhoods of either North Center, Ravenswood, or Lincoln Square. They are all very safe, and even safer than Lincoln Park/Lakeview and they are on the Brown Line. It's a 10 minute ride from Ravenswood/Lincoln Square down to Belmont.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM

92 posts, read 160,940 times
You should look in Ravenswood off of the Brown Line around Montrose or Irving Park. It's a safe neighborhood and you should find something for under $1200 for a one bedroom.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM

My girlfriend's old place was near here. The area is quiet, but there is stuff on the main streets (especially Montrose).

Chicago Apartments | 4540 N WOLCOTT AVE #1E | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 1946 W WILSON AVE | Domu Chicago

Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM

I have two separate agents sending me listings. One sent me very expensive listings in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. The other sent me listings for older, less expensive buildings in Edgewater and Rogers Park. I haven't made any specific requests for higher end amenities. The only thing that I have requested is that the landlord be willing to allow me to keep my dogs. The dogs are really limiting my options.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I have two separate agents sending me listings. One sent me very expensive listings in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. The other sent me listings for older, less expensive buildings in Edgewater and Rogers Park. I haven't made any specific requests for higher end amenities. The only thing that I have requested is that the landlord be willing to allow me to keep my dogs. The dogs are really limiting my options.
Are these agents working for people such as ...Chicago Apartment Finders? If so, that's your first minor problem. These aren't agents who scour every listing for you. Think of it as a real estate company where people list their apartments through that company. So basically, the agent is only looking for listings which his company actually has.

Here are some listings for Lakeview (and one in Lincoln Park..I actually know that building) that allow dogs that are within your budget I found on domu:

Chicago Apartments | 3823 N FREMONT AVE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 511 W MELROSE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 635 N BARRY AVE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 550 W ARLINGTON AVE | Domu Chicago --> Lincoln Park
Chicago Apartments | 711 W BROMPTON | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 1444 W BYRON ST | Domu Chicago

Ravenswood:
Chicago Apartments | 4614 N PAULINA AVE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 4851 N DAMEN AVE | Domu Chicago

Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
I like the Ravenswood suggestion.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks. This is all really helpful. I will check those neighborhoods and listings. The agents do work for specific companies, so I know their listings are limited. That is why I have two of them. The dogs are large and on the resctricted breeds list for every landlord I have contacted directly. That is why I was hoping an agent might know which landlords would allow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago