Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,981 times

Advertisements

I am debating whether or not to move from CA to Chicago. I know the winters are cold, well very cold, but what are the people like? I want to live in downtown and get a 1 bedroom..what would be some good areas?
How is the nightlife? Any advice/suggestions/opinions would be very helpful

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,679,381 times
It's a whole different experience than California. There's nothing in that state that compares (and by that I mean, California doesn't have anything like, without it being better or worse) to Chicago. It's just a case of two drastically different worlds.

Whether or not it's worth it, well, only you can say that. Come here for two weeks in December and see if you can see yourself fitting in.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,981 times
I am single & looking for a change and to experience something different. Chicago always caught my interest. I dabbled with NY, but it is just too far and housing is a nightmare.
The weather most certainly catches my attention and thoughts. I am a person who strives in the cold, but most awesome cities have cold weather.
How is the nightlife? Is the city big enough to not get sick of the scene and see the same people?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,679,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn7 View Post
I am single & looking for a change and to experience something different. Chicago always caught my interest. I dabbled with NY, but it is just too far and housing is a nightmare.
The weather most certainly catches my attention and thoughts. I am a person who strives in the cold, but most awesome cities have cold weather.
How is the nightlife? Is the city big enough to not get sick of the scene and see the same people?
Our metro area has some 9 million people

Chicago nightlife is pretty much what you'd find in NYC or California: clubs most people don't find very interesting (I was never a club-oriented person), tons and tons of bars, etc. Chicago was the inventor and innovator of house and factory, not club. The off-the-hook type nights are harder to find these days, now that the true music scene can't find abandoned factories and jam like they used to. Those, those were the days

I'm told that the south and west sides still have a thriving music scene with awesome nightlife, but I'm a little old for that now. I also don't feel like risking my life just to dance

Old 10-31-2007, 07:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,263,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn7 View Post
There is a ton of going on. You can visit Metromix to check out some of what is going on in the area.
I would also recommend visiting. Go visit some neighborhoods and see what you like!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 PM

325 posts, read 1,475,691 times
As a born-n-bread Chicagoan who has lived in California for the past eight years, I say GO FOR IT! I was lucky enough to spend my single twenties in Chicago and I liked the "scene" much better than San Francisco's once I moved there. There's no better place to be young and/or single than in Chicago, IMO. I'm sure New York is great, but the cost of living is so difficult; Chicago's is much more manageable.

The weather will stink a lot of the time, but the life more than makes up for it. It's a big city that has neighborhoods, an excellent employment center, culture, music, theatre, physical activities all at your doorstep and with a price tag that most people can swing.

There are a ton of good neighborhoods in which to live. First question would be: where would you be working? Downtown or in the 'burbs? First California thing to give up if living/working in the city: your car. Absolutely not needed as people in Chicago actually take public transportation and it goes where you need it to go. Cabs take up the slack. Second question would be, what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? More yuppie? Sporty? Funky? Artsy?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM

281 posts, read 930,232 times
I moved out here from SF 15 years ago and don't have a single regret. I love it here. Yeah, the winters are rough, but the summers are glorious! Locals complain about how expensive everything is, but damn near everything costs half to two-thirds of what it costs in California (except for fresh vegetables and seafood). Rent and housing prices are an incredible bargain. Nice big studio apartments in fun neighborhoods for $600, beautiful big suburban homes for less than $200,000, car insurance for less than $300 a YEAR! The CTA goes everywhere, you can live quite well without a car at all. Great restaurants everywhere, bars, nightclubs, music, theater, etc. etc. etc. And it's HUGE! Lots of people, most of them friendly, helpful and polite. When I moved here, I told people I had just moved from California, and they were happy to have me! Announce that in Portland or Seattle and duck for cover. Plenty of good jobs, whatever your field is. To answer your question, YES! It is definitely worth it. Come on over, you won't be sorry.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,808,166 times
Oh yes, there is tons to do in Chicago!

Outdoor and indoor symphonies and plays, showcases of classic and new films, pubs, clubs, bars, and tons of house parties. If it's nightlife your looking for, Chicagoans party very hard! I found partying in Chicago to be harder than New York or California, it's just a completely different culture than the two of them.

What's also good about Chicago is is that there are tons of neighborhoods that contain all of these, so everything is spread out and new.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,360,233 times
car insurance for $300 a year!? where? who?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,263,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I moved out here from SF 15 years ago and don't have a single regret. I love it here. Yeah, the winters are rough, but the summers are glorious! Locals complain about how expensive everything is, but damn near everything costs half to two-thirds of what it costs in California (except for fresh vegetables and seafood). Rent and housing prices are an incredible bargain. Nice big studio apartments in fun neighborhoods for $600, beautiful big suburban homes for less than $200,000, car insurance for less than $300 a YEAR! The CTA goes everywhere, you can live quite well without a car at all. Great restaurants everywhere, bars, nightclubs, music, theater, etc. etc. etc. And it's HUGE! Lots of people, most of them friendly, helpful and polite. When I moved here, I told people I had just moved from California, and they were happy to have me! Announce that in Portland or Seattle and duck for cover. Plenty of good jobs, whatever your field is. To answer your question, YES! It is definitely worth it. Come on over, you won't be sorry.
I think that some of this is overstated. For instance, you could find a studio for $600, but big ones in nice neighborhoods? Suburban homes for less than 200000 (that are nice?). Car insurance for $300??? These aren't the norm. I still love Chicago, but that's not the norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: