Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM

29,860 posts, read 24,986,356 times

Advertisements

According the news, Chicago is now #1

Chicago Is Top City for Bedbugs - ABC News

When did this start happening? This kind of freaks me out living in an apartment. There's not much I can do if the neighbors start getting them, or if the building becomes infested. And they are a major PITA to get rid of from what I've heard.

Thought this was a 1st world country... We've got enough blood suckers in Washington and Cook country as it is, but now they are making their way to our houses, apartments and bedrooms...

I've been looking to get into a different 1 br apartment, but now I'm kind of freaking out. How do I know if the building has any issues with these things? How pervasive of a problem is this? It sounds like bed bug populations are exploding around the country, and it doesn't matter what you do because nothing can prevent them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,987,634 times
Here's one site where you can check bed bug reports:

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM

7,174 posts, read 4,762,538 times
Extermination companies (some of them) have dogs that are trained to sniff them out if they're present. If I ever buy another property, I'm gonna hire one of them after I check out the reputation of the trained "sniffer."

Suppose you could do that with an apartment, if the landlord permits.

best,
toodie

Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Here's one site where you can check bed bug reports:

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America
Actually, I checked this out, and much to my horror, my current apartment complex has a report

The kicker is, so do many of the other near by apartment complexes. I think folks are in for a surprise as these occurrences continue to escalate. Very scary stuff, at least for me, not being a bug person and all...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,509,192 times
We live in a very international city, with more than 25 million people passing through yearly. The bugs enjoy travel as much as we humans do. Chicago is paying more attention to the problem than many other cities, therefore we rank high on the list. That's my take. There's a pending ordinance in the City Council to establish some order and reporting about this. In that proposal andlords and HOAs will be required to take action at landlord/HOA expense or face fines. Tenants/condo owners who fail to report or fail to cooperate with eradication also face fines.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
We live in a very international city, with more than 25 million people passing through yearly. The bugs enjoy travel as much as we humans do. Chicago is paying more attention to the problem than many other cities, therefore we rank high on the list. That's my take. There's a pending ordinance in the City Council to establish some order and reporting about this. In that proposal andlords and HOAs will be required to take action at landlord/HOA expense or face fines. Tenants/condo owners who fail to report or fail to cooperate with eradication also face fines.
I would expect the costs to get passed down to the consumer one way or another. Rent ain't cheap around here, and such an action would almost certainly make matters worse. And being that Chicago is so heavily traversed, I would expect this problem to continue as is or escalate going forward. Basically, you would have to find a way to prevent the bugs from making it out of the airport or off the train because reinfestation on some level is inevitable. Punishing the landlord, and ultimately the tenant isn't the answer. All it takes is one night in the wrong hotel room and you can bring the problem right into your own home. Folks check under the beds and all, but how many are capable of looking behind the solid headboard or even in the walls?

The problem with cities like Chicago is taxation and fines are the favored solution for every problem. Sorry, I think it will take something far more proactive than a new source of revenue. How does it solve the problem? So the landlord is forced to pay for something they largely have no control over. How do you think they are going to offset the added expense, especially if this problem continues to escalate? Raise the rent! For all the taxes we pay, don't you think it's fair to expect Chicago to have a hand in solving the problem, since they are in the best position to stop the problem at the source?

My question would be, how does Chicago plan to fix Chicago's problem? Are they going to treat the seats on the bus? Great place for the critters to hide. Is the city going to issue a fine against the city when something like this is found and not dealt with? This isn't a problem created my landlords anymore than the typical tenant. How about treating luggage upon arrival at the Ohare or Midway airports for starters?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,509,192 times
Quote:
My question would be, how does Chicago plan to fix Chicago's problem?
It's not "Chicago's problem." (not Chicago's alone) It's a national/worldwide problem. I think the officials in Chicago are being more open/transparent about it than many other cities. Like so many other things in life, this boils down to personal responsibility. If the individual isn't vigilent then the problem will continue/increase. I was in Rio de Janeiro in March. I'd rented an apartment via the internet. Upon arrival in the apartment I pulled-back the sheets and inspected the mattress. Though didn't see bedbugs I saw what I believe was markings they'd been there. I immediately left the apartment to find someplace else to stay. This is what it takes when we travel. Not fool-proof, but a start. And rather than be ashamed/embarassed if we have an investation at home ... we have to report it and allow the landlord/association deal with it. Problem is ... it's expensive for everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: