Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Logan Square the neighborhood is a smaller part of Logan Square the Community Area, sorry. Neighborhoods of Logan Square include: Logan Square, Belmont Gardens, Palmer Square, Bucktown, and Kosiuszko Park.
So what are the boundaries of Logan Square the "neighborhood"? Can you please point them out to me?

You can't make an argument on boundaries that don't even exist, just waht you think they are. One can say that Roscoe Village ends at Western Ave. Others might say that it ends at the Chicago River. Heck the area west of the rive in Avondale, is called West Roscoe Village. The point is regardless if Roscoe Village ends at Western or it ends at the river, it is still in the larger neighborhood of North Center.

Some of you are taking the word "community area" and saying it's not a neighborhood when it actually is.

So Lakeview isn't aneighborhood? Nor Lincoln Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
So what are the boundaries of Logan Square the "neighborhood"? Can you please point them out to me?

You can't make an argument on boundaries that don't even exist, just waht you think they are. One can say that Roscoe Village ends at Western Ave. Others might say that it ends at the Chicago River. Heck the area west of the rive in Avondale, is called West Roscoe Village. The point is regardless if Roscoe Village ends at Western or it ends at the river, it is still in the larger neighborhood of North Center.

Some of you are taking the word "community area" and saying it's not a neighborhood when it actually is.

So Lakeview isn't aneighborhood? Nor Lincoln Park?

Sigh. Neighborhood and "Community Area" are loosely used terms by normal people...most people think that ALL of Lakeview is a "neighborhood", and it is, HOWEVER the city of Chicago officially says they're called "Community Areas." If you have a problem with it, call the damn City Hall about it. That's the terminology for it and if you want to talk "city of Chicago" jargon, you have to know what the hell a community area is.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sigh. Neighborhood and "Community Area" are loosely used terms by normal people...most people think that ALL of Lakeview is a "neighborhood", and it is, HOWEVER the city of Chicago officially says they're called "Community Areas." If you have a problem with it, call the damn City Hall about it. That's the terminology for it and if you want to talk "city of Chicago" jargon, you have to know what the hell a community area is.
And it is.

This is the problem though. Then what is Lakeview the "neighborhood"? can you define the boundares of that "neighborhood"? Many times the community areas and "neighborhoods" are one in the same. Then you have sub neighborhoods (Roscoe Village, BUCKTOWN, Wicker Park, etc).

I am well aware that Chicago calls them community areas, but at the same time they are also neighborhoods.

Lakeview is a neighborhood/community area that has sub neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, West Lakeview, Southport Corridor, etc. Regardless they are all part of the larger Lakeview neighborhood.

I just think that it's pretty arrogant and ignorant when someone tells me Bucktown isn't part of Logan Square when it actually is.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Bucktown is actually not real when it comes to boundaries. You cannot find any official boundaries to it. Just like Wrigleyville, Roscoe Village, West Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc. The only boundaries you will find are the ones set by real estate agents which will change depending on the real estate agency.

Does an area called "Bucktown" exist. Yeah. But it has no official boundaries, just a more or less agreed upon area but nothing concerete.
So you agree that unofficial neighborhoods which aren't community areas exist. That's all we're saying. Nobody is denying that they have fuzzy boundaries. The only thing you seem to not acknowledge is that there is a neighborhood called "Logan Square," with unofficial and fuzzy boundaries just like the others you list, that is a part of the community area of Logan Square, just as Bucktown is a part of the community area of Logan Square. Yes, it's confusing to have a common usage neighborhood definition and a community area definition that have the same name, but as I mentioned with Humboldt Park, it's not the only one where that is the case.

Quote:
Nope that wasn't me.
I apologize for that, then.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am well aware that Chicago calls them community areas, but at the same time they are also neighborhoods.

Lakeview is a neighborhood/community area that has sub neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, West Lakeview, Southport Corridor, etc. Regardless they are all part of the larger Lakeview neighborhood.
Not arguing against that..... even if they are "community areas," they still fit the general definition of what a neighborhood is. Just saying that there are a few times where there is an actual neighborhood within a community area and both have the same name (i.e. Logan Square).

Quote:
I just think that it's pretty arrogant and ignorant when someone tells me Bucktown isn't part of Logan Square when it actually is.
Yep, it is BUT most people in Chicago I would wager have no idea this is true.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So you agree that unofficial neighborhoods which aren't community areas exist. That's all we're saying. Nobody is denying that they have fuzzy boundaries. The only thing you seem to not acknowledge is that there is a neighborhood called "Logan Square," with unofficial and fuzzy boundaries just like the others you list, that is a part of the community area of Logan Square, just as Bucktown is a part of the community area of Logan Square.

I apologize for that, then.
I think people are confused about what I am arguing. The one poster said that Bucktown is not part of Logan Square, and I simply states that yes it is. Then they said that when people think of Logan Square they think of Logan Square the "neighborhood" not the community area which not true. People who know Chicago well enough consider Elston and Diversey Logan Square just ast they do California and Milwaukee, Pulaski and Wrighwood and Logan Blvd and Kedzie.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I think people are confused about what I am arguing. The one poster said that Bucktown is not part of Logan Square, and I simply states that yes it is. Then they said that when people think of Logan Square they think of Logan Square the "neighborhood" not the community area which not true. People who know Chicago well enough consider Elston and Diversey Logan Square just ast they do California and Milwaukee, Pulaski and Wrighwood and Logan Blvd and Kedzie.
I agree with this statement.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I think people are confused about what I am arguing. The one poster said that Bucktown is not part of Logan Square, and I simply states that yes it is.
That's because she was talking about Logan Square the neighborhood and you were talking about Logan Square the community area. You were both right. Because you didn't specify that you were talking about the community area, though, people assumed you were talking about the neighborhood. That's how the term "Logan Square" is more commonly used, be it right or wrong.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
That's because she was talking about Logan Square the neighborhood and you were talking about Logan Square the community area. You were both right. Because you didn't specify that you were talking about the community area, though, people assumed you were talking about the neighborhood, as that's how the term "Logan Square" is more commonly used.
See but that's my whole point, and maybe it's playing devil's adovcate. but if Logan Square the "neighborhood" has no official boundaries how can one declare that Bucktown is not part of that Logan Square "neighborhood"? Just as easily she can say it's not part of the LS "neighborhood" I can say it is cause officially neither can be proved.

But I can prove the Bucktown area that is being considered is part of Logan Square the community area which also many people think of it as a neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
See but that's my whole point, and maybe it's playing devil's adovcate. but if Logan Square the "neighborhood" has no official boundaries how can one declare that Bucktown is not part of that Logan Square "neighborhood"?
Well, as long as we're playing devil's advocate, how can you argue that Kalamazoo, MI isn't part of Wrigleyville, since Wrigleyville has no official boundaries?

Boundaries don't have to be official to be generally understood. When they get fuzzy it's usually a discrpency of a few blocks, not enough that one neighborhood can completely overtake the neighborhood next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago