Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
... "Do you want to come with?" is not. You sound like a moron when you do this. Please stop it. Thank you.
I'm told it's perfectly correct syntax ... if you're speaking Swedish or another Scandinavian langauge. Which is probably why it seems to be prevalent in the upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
and then we drink "pop" not soda pop.
I think that's more of a regional thing than a Chicago thing. We always called it "pop" when I was growing up in Cleveland.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
it makes way more sense to just drop the word "with" and ask, "You wanna come?"
I only use that one in certain, er, intimate situations.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I only use that one in certain, er, intimate situations.
As long as you don't say "with" at the end. That's a surefire way to make your partner cringe right out of bed.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM

46 posts, read 55,652 times
hmm,, why not?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Where did you get that I was lonely in Chicago or having a bad time from my statement? I'm in a funk?
because you said this - " I don't have any family ties to the area. No neighborhood loyalty at all. No history other than the 5 years living here at the same time I feel like I've truly been able to enjoy the city like most natives don't ..."

so I perceived you were feeling lonely and in a funk about chicago. I know you already told us about your bad experiences in lakeview a while ago.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
It's slang Mr. English

I posted it and wrote it that way for those who are not native Chicagoans. Gangway is between one
building - used gangways (plural) because the city if filled with them.
What about the nasal "a" did that disappear where you are? Plus you made my point about the
south side....which is part of - you know Chicago.
You can call the "DMV" whatever you want but there are other ones not just on Elston Ave.
Yeah! Well since I live near the one on Elston, thats what I call it myself.

I think i have the nasal "a" because people from other cities like in New York have told me i got that when they hear me talk on the phone and they tell me I have an accent and I started listening to myself, and i detected it

Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Yeah! Well since I live near the one on Elston, thats what I call it myself.

I think i have the nasal "a" because people from other cities like in New York have told me i got that when they hear me talk on the phone and they tell me I have an accent and I started listening to myself, and i detected it
I lived by the Elston one too but it was always so busy so I drove out to a suburb (which at that time
wasn't as developed) & got out quicker.
When ever I'm not in Chicago people would always ask me if I were from Boston although the Boston
accent does sound out the "a" too but there is a difference.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
because you said this - " I don't have any family ties to the area. No neighborhood loyalty at all. No history other than the 5 years living here at the same time I feel like I've truly been able to enjoy the city like most natives don't ..."

so I perceived you were feeling lonely and in a funk about chicago. I know you already told us about your bad experiences in lakeview a while ago.
There is nothing lonely about Chicago. As my statement says I've enjoyed living in Chicago. Nothing else needs to be said.

Every city has its positives and negatives. IMO, one of the negatives with me and Chicago is the horrible racial climate & segregation. That doesn't mean this has been a horrible place nor does it mean everyone here is a racist.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Check out the history of Chicago, very interesting. Chicago has always been a segregated city from the start.
There was a excellent PBS series about how Chicago started first from Ft. Dearborn to now. One example; when the Irish came
they were so despised that Mr. M. Fields wouldn't hire any immigrants especially the Irish. He recruited women who
were from country and farm areas. When the Irish started to spread out, people fled those areas (african americans too).
If a German walked into an Irish bar, they would throw him out or beat him up. If an Irishman went to a German bar
same thing. This was typical for any nationality. Sad, bad, yes it was. Is it still a segregated city - yes but there
are several areas in the city where there is a diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago