Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
100% old housing, not too far from downtown and near neighborhoods, and people mind their own business, i.e. not ghetto and not yuppied out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
I'll take Wicker Park or Bucktown exactly as they are, but add in one cheap (but in mint condition) house so I can buy there.

Seriously, one change I would make there would be that neighbors actually speak to one another and take care of the area in front of their property (ie sweep the curbline so leaf debris doesn't accumulate). I grew up on the NW side, and people actually did both of these things up there, and it made for a better community. I always found it strange in Bucktown when I would say hello to a person walking their dog, and they would yank their dog back in fear and look at me like I was insane for actually talking to them.
Agree with 100% housing. Would and always wanted a 1920's Chicago bungalow that wasn't
modernized. A neighborhood that has a variety of people of all ages and that hasn't been yuppified
like Wicker Park, Bucktown and Ukrainian village. AND, where people actually take care of their
yards (front and back). Unthinkable now for many to sweep the curb and edge too.
**regarding saying hello.....I think it has to do with people who moved from other areas/states.
On one thread I saw, someone said that on the East Coast they found that odd & strange....said it
must be a midwest thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Now that I think about it, I'm kinda sorta already there. A nice mix of families and seniors. Little to no nightlife. Easy access to parks and public transit. Very close schools that are easy to walk to. A very large percentage of home owners. Housing architecture is a nice mix of mcm, ranches, capes.

My biggest complaint is the dismal shopping. I mean damn, how many more beauty supply stores do we really need? It would be so nice to have more furniture and home decor stores nearby. And nice real clothing stores for actual adults. Yes the neighborhood is mostly Black but we all don't desire to look like we're on our way to a rap video shoot. Other than that, yeah I'm almost there.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Very much agreed..plus add a little bit of say Pilsen or UK Village or parts of Wicker Park to the mix.
Oh gods, no. I wouldn't want the Wicker Park contingent sh*tting up Hyde Park.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
It's better than the LP and LV types. At least Wicker Park is more diverse in it's offerings and people.

IMO I think Wicker Park is the most interesting neighborhoods in the city. It's hipster, it's yuppie, it attracts a diverse group of people to it's nightlife, it's beautiful, it's grimey, it's gritty, calm but can be chaotic.

Lincoln Park and Lakeview are great in their own right, but they are almost "too nice" of places. Wicker Park at least has some edge to it.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Lincoln Park and Lakeview are great in their own right, but they are almost "too nice" of places. Wicker Park at least has some edge to it.
You should hit Belmont & Clark about 2 am on a Thursday. You'll see some edginess...

Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You should hit Belmont & Clark about 2 am on a Thursday. You'll see some edginess...
That's true. Outside of that area though not as much though.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I didn't mean all of it, just parts. For example, I would put a Double Door and Flat Iron there...and a record store. but that's just part of the story.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
100% old housing, not too far from downtown and near neighborhoods, and people mind their own business, i.e. not ghetto and not yuppied out.
That pretty well describes Pilsen. (Well, housing stock may be more like 80-90% old, but close enough.)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
My ideal neighborhood was conceived during a drunken one-night stand between Logan Square and Pilsen. The young couple realized they weren't mature enough to raise a baby neighborhood, so they gave it up for adoption to Hyde Park and Andersonville, who raised it as their own. Sometimes as a teenager it would skip school and hang out with crazy uncle Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago