Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
The thing is places that he is mentioning as overrated aren't even overrated. Berlin overrated? You never really here anything about Berlin as a tourist destination. If anything you here A LOT more about Prague than Berline for visiting. And Prague is not underrated, it gets PLENTY of love and attention as a tourist destiantion. Vienna and Budapest don't get too much attention though.

I don't understand how he comes to the conclusion that Hawaii is UNDERRATED? More people go to Hawaii than Costa Rica from my experience. Hawaii gets a lot more attention than Costa Rica. It's just really a stupid list.

Buenos Aires overrated? Since when? It's actually the complete opposite. You rarely hear anything about Buenos Aires. But then Rio is underrated?
Agreed. A lot of it did seem a little strange. I will say Berlin is very popular among the more hip, artsy crowd. But yes, totally in agreement here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
By the way, on the news, they were showing pix of Detroit and talked about how bad it was, i thouht chicago was bad, thats a worse place.. they have some of the most interesting graffiti and burned out houses.. sheesh.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
The author has accomplished his/her goal.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
But the ruins of Detroit are so much more spectacular, even post-apocalyptic, compared to anything here.
Post-apocalyptic? Spectacular? Sounds like a video-gaming adolescent view of things.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Chicago is the 3rd most popular city for tourists in the US (behind NY and LA), clearly there's something that keeps drawing people back.

Obviously people who are from there aren't going to see the appeal. People like places that are different, and Chicago is different to a lot of places.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Chicago is the 3rd most popular city for tourists in the US (behind NY and LA), clearly there's something that keeps drawing people back.

Obviously people who are from there aren't going to see the appeal. People like places that are different, and Chicago is different to a lot of places.
I'm not sure Chicago slots in before Vegas and Orlando but I could be wrong.

Conventions are a big part of our tourist numbers. Being the major "urban" draw for the entire Midwest helps too. I think Chicago's tourism is a lot more regional than LA's or NY's.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
A few are, but really there are chunks of Chicago every bit as bad as the bad parts of Detroit. We may not have anything quite like Michigan Central Station, but a lot of other things are totally comparable. Someone should do a "Chicago or Detroit?" photo thread and I bet it could be made such that you couldn't tell unless there was a landmark building in the photo.
I've never seen anything in chicago that even approaches the worst of detroit...

Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm not sure Chicago slots in before Vegas and Orlando but I could be wrong.

Conventions are a big part of our tourist numbers. Being the major "urban" draw for the entire Midwest helps too. I think Chicago's tourism is a lot more regional than LA's or NY's.
Actually, from what I can tell Chicago is usually in the top 3 for most visited in the US. In fact, according to to this, Chicago beat out New York in 2011. I wonder if this has something to do with Chicago being such as large transportation hub.

But you're also right, most of it is regional. It becomes especially obvious when you look at international tourists and Chicago just makes the top ten.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Yeah, I'm sure it's different for international. Pretty much every English person I know has visited Orlando at some point in their lives (although ironically visitors rarely visit Orlando itself, they visit Lake Buena Vista/Kissimmee where the theme parks are).

Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I've been talking to friends who live in FL that are moving to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago