Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,883,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
We are set to move from Phoenix to Chicago...Most importantly--tell me what there is to LOVE about Chicago. I've never really been outside of extended vacations. I want to get excited, I want to look forward to things. My boss got my girlfriend and I a GroupOn to Stray Boots so that will be about the only "tour" we get of the city...
The Lake.

Messing around with Google maps, it says the furthest point in the city of Arizona from a body of water of significant size is 40 miles. Roughly S. 48th Street and Chandler Blvd to Lake Pleasant.

In the city of Chicago you are never more than 17 miles away from a beach ... on a much larger lake.

From S. 48th and Chandler Blvd to Lake Pleasant, Google says:

Driving: 69.1 miles, 1 hour 9 minutes.
Public transit: It won't even give me an estimate.
Biking: 65.6 miles, 5 hours 41 minutes.
Walking: 53.1 miles, 17 hours 41 minutes.

From 65th and Harlem to Jackson Park Beach, Google says:

Driving: 17.2 miles, 21 minutes.
Public transit: 1 hour 42 minutes.
Biking: 12.8 miles, 1 hour 10 minutes.
Walking: 12.1 miles, 3 hours 58 minutes.

The lake is free to use and enjoy. If you feel like spending a little money, you can always do things on the lake or river (which leads to the lake).

Enjoy:

Chicago by boat: A timelapse journey - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,657,350 times
^^ Whoah. It's a bit alarming how little they had to drop the water level in the lock compared to years past.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,102,616 times
Quote:
Sorry about that, guess I left that out--huh?

We are pretty flexible. We are interested in trying all things--but mostly food related (I'm vegetarian), broadway shows, music (mostly country fans, but like everything). We don't go to specific bars too often, but will hit up happy hours.

While we don't generally go to sporting events, we want to in Chicago since our teams in Phoenix... well, self-explanatory.
You will find many different kinds of theater in Chicago. Expand from Broadway type shows (which are usually more expensive) to comedy and drama (serious and light). Stepenwolf Theater is fantastic and the Goodman is excellent. There is Shakespeare in the Park and there is Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind at the Neofuturian. There are also half price tickets available on the day of a show usually.

There are opera, classical music, ballet, various dance companies, art museums, etc. You will find country concerts, blues, jazz, rap, etc.

Country Music Concerts 2013 - Chicago, IL Tickets

Chicago metro area, IL Live Music Shows & Tour Dates 2013 - Eventful

There is lots of vegetarian food especially if you enjoy various ethnic foods. Try restaurants on Devon for excellent and inexpensive Indian Food.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM

846 posts, read 1,412,128 times
That video was beautiful, thank you.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a run-down on Internet providers in Chicago? We don't do much but email, social media, and classes -- no gaming or anything.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,103,305 times
Quote:
Would anyone be kind enough to give me a run-down on Internet providers in Chicago? We don't do much but email, social media, and classes -- no gaming or anything.
Stuff like AT&T, RCN, etc. Some of this will depend on your apartment. Sometimes you don't have much of a say in what you can get. For awhile, AT&T was the only option at my place. Now it's AT&T or RCN.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM

4,152 posts, read 8,014,879 times
Just do not walk down the street jabbering on your iphone or with your ear buds in. You do have to be mindful about crime, although I am sure you will be okay. Just be smart about things. Lock your doors.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Just do not walk down the street jabbering on your iphone or with your ear buds in. You do have to be mindful about crime, although I am sure you will be okay. Just be smart about things. Lock your doors.
LOL what? I do this all over the place and I've never once had anybody even remotely close try and rob me. There's only a few areas where I've done this.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 8,014,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL what? I do this all over the place and I've never once had anybody even remotely close try and rob me. There's only a few areas where I've done this.
You have been around here for a while but these folks are not from here so they need to be watchful.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,158,875 times
Quote:
You have been around here for a while but these folks are not from here so they need to be watchful.
I'm with marothisu - use your headphones. You'll be fine.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I was doing it since day 1 of moving here. Just be aware of your surroundings while you're listening to music, that is all. I think it's good to know when you're in a bad area or not and know when to not use them, but meh..you're more likely to get robbed for your iPhone here these days instead of your iPod. I would say in some weird areas, don't flash around your ipod, but wearing headphones is fine IMO as long as you're aware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: