Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong is one of the world's great airports. After flying 15 hours I'm not delighted to be standing in a long immigration line, but I kind of expect it. The drive to HK through the mountain and ocean scenery is refreshing, not exhausting.

Toronto seems like it should be easier - it's no farther away than Kansas City or Pittsburgh - but getting through it, including the various customs and immigration bottlenecks, is just awful. That's if you don't get diverted by immigration officials when you say you're there to attend a business meeting. Finally, when you get to curbside, you're an hour from the city in rush hour traffic. No wonder Americans rarely go to Toronto.

Next time, I'm going to fly to Toronto City Airport even though to do so, I have to go from Midway, which is out of the way (I live in Wilmette) and, as you say, not all that uncrowded. I just might get to my meeting on time, or somewhere close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I would not drive in Canada simply because they are European and I am not comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road in a country where I have to know French if I get lost.
What???? Canada drives on the right-hand side of the road just like the U.S. does. As does most of Europe BTW.

And there are no predominantly French-speaking areas in Canada on your route to Toronto.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What???? Canada drives on the right-hand side of the road just like the U.S. does. As does most of Europe BTW.

And there are no predominantly French-speaking areas in Canada on your route to Toronto.
I think that was a joke. I hope.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Hong Kong is one of the world's great airports. After flying 15 hours I'm not delighted to be standing in a long immigration line, but I kind of expect it. The drive to HK through the mountain and ocean scenery is refreshing, not exhausting.
When I arrived it was long too, but it moved quickly since they had many windows open and that was after 8 pm. The only thing that delayed was filling arrival white card and waiting again for my window since the airline crew for some reason did not give it to me before landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

Toronto seems like it should be easier - it's no farther away than Kansas City or Pittsburgh - but getting through it, including the various customs and immigration bottlenecks, is just awful. That's if you don't get diverted by immigration officials when you say you're there to attend a business meeting. Finally, when you get to curbside, you're an hour from the city in rush hour traffic. No wonder Americans rarely go to Toronto.

Next time, I'm going to fly to Toronto City Airport even though to do so, I have to go from Midway, which is out of the way (I live in Wilmette) and, as you say, not all that uncrowded. I just might get to my meeting on time, or somewhere close to it.
They're getting express train that will run from Pearson's to downtown but it opens not till 2015. But such large, big city should have gotten some sort of direct rail connection long time ago. In addition price tor taxis is little insane, why it costs $55-$70 for one way to the city? We are lucky we can take from Ohare or Midway $2.50 subway to the city or $30-40 taxi. It seems to me the only cheapest and most simple option at YYZ is airport bus/shuttle that charges $26 one way or $40 both ways.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Learn something new everyday!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM

50 posts, read 56,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I would not drive in Canada simply because they are European and I am not comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road in a country where I have to know French if I get lost.
What in the Sam hill are you talking about Willis?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
My wife and I drove from Chicago-Toronto and back last summer. Aside from it being an extremely boring drive, it wasn't bad at all. I would say it was definitely easier than Chicago to Denver, which was tear-inducing boring. We're also planning a drive to Montana next year, which we're definitely not going to enjoy.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
My wife and I drove from Chicago-Toronto and back last summer. Aside from it being an extremely boring drive, it wasn't bad at all. I would say it was definitely easier than Chicago to Denver, which was tear-inducing boring. We're also planning a drive to Montana next year, which we're definitely not going to enjoy.
As I posted earlier, I went with flight choice partially due to working night shift and less tolerance for non-stop long drives. I am little nicely surprised that the embraer jet I will be flying, has single window-aisle seats on one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago