Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

I don't get it.....why wouldn't you fly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Porter Air flies from Toronto City Airport to Midway, bypassing two of the world's busiest airports. I don't know the price, but it seems worth checking out.
Not worth it, plus for me it takes longer to drive to mdw through worse traffic from where I live, with more expensive parking, flight and the airport is not really less busy, have you forgot southwest and how many regional destinations it reaches?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't get it.....why wouldn't you fly?
No need to rush to airport, follow timetable, because it's more like medium long range , though I realize I will be probably very tired from working night shift over weekend into Monday morning and my adjustment to daily mode. At this point I doubt it's worth saving $130-150 bucks. And my departure is next day !

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Fly.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
which would you prefer?

I live in suburbs, to me it will take 9-10 hours, over 294-94-through michigan port huron. or I could just take AA flight from Ohare to Toronto Pearson AND cut whole trip in half time. Drive will cost me around $130 (being little conservative with gas price) while flight would cost me extra $170 but eliminate parking that will cost me $60.

With that said, there may be cheaper option to BUF but I ain't gonna bother with time consuming transfer to bus or train and I hate buses!

If I choose car, I hope there are some few rest stops in Canada along 402/401. I found on recent road trip to PA last year having many of them along i-90 in indiana, ohio was very convenient. Anyway what do you think?

A few factors:

1) Porter from Chicago-Midway to Toronto City Airport is a great option in that you are close to the city. Do realize that you will need to take a water shuttle to get downtown. If you need a rental car, you can get one at a city location. Porter has had some good fare sales recently.

2) Parking in Toronto is almost as costly as in DT Chicago. Having a car is a true liability in Toronto. Unlike the CTA, the TTC actually services the entire Metro Toronto area.

3) The 401 between Detroit and London is the most boring stretch of highway that I have driven.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
I've made the round trip drive 3 times. Wasn't too bad, and I liked having my car available. I was able to find parking lots near my hotel that'd cut me in-and-out deals over multiple day stretches. The drive from Windsor to about Brantford on 403 is as equally dull as any trip down I-57. Only had a snafu one time crossing the border due to some bizarre circumstances beyond my control. I have never flown, but wouldn't object to it. The preference may be influenced by what you're planning to do once you get there.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Whatever you do, don't fly to Buffalo and take a bus to Toronto. My husband is from the area, and we made the mistake of taking the bus once--the border check on a bus is pure hell. It took us nearly 5 hours to get to Toronto (should be under 2 hrs).

Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A few factors:

2) Parking in Toronto is almost as costly as in DT Chicago. Having a car is a true liability in Toronto. Unlike the CTA, the TTC actually services the entire Metro Toronto area.

3) .
But at least CTA, has direct subway connection to both airports. I just looked at YYZ website and as of now only taxi/limo or shuttle bus are only most direct options. More than likely I'll take bus because its frequent, cheaper and I will have plenty of time, my only beef it requires transfer at westin harbour castle to another shuttle to my hotel (Bond) but at least its only 3 stops in between.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Not worth it, plus for me it takes longer to drive to mdw through worse traffic from where I live, with more expensive parking, flight and the airport is not really less busy, have you forgot southwest and how many regional destinations it reaches?
No, I haven't forgotten SW. Have you ever been to Pearson? It makes O'Hare look like a playground.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, I haven't forgotten SW. Have you ever been to Pearson? It makes O'Hare look like a playground.
I have been to HKG airport and it's definitely bigger in terms of building space. They even have in town check-in counters for airlines that print boarding pass and take checked-in luggage in some subway stations. Then you board express train, relax, go through security, immigration exit control (still faster than single point with TSA) and shop at airport "mall" before your flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago