Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

It only takes a small minority of those living in a neighorhood to turn it into a living hell. C Maurio is naive for not acknowledging this. The only way he can imagine a neighborhood being that bad is if almost everyone in it was behaving a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Not to be off topic, but do you think the obama's are using the teenager shot (mother named Cleo).... they are being invited to the White House for the easter egg hunt, and the parents seem to be the poster child for no guns.. but i hope they are not being exploited by the White House. I am sorry I cant remember names...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The reason that this wasn't as big a national story as it should have been is people are desensitized to violence on the southside of Chicago. It's so common that even when a baby gets caught in the cross fire, sure, people are upset about it, but that goes away pretty quickly because it's only a matter of days or weeks until another child gets killed. That's just reality. Why were the Obamas all up in arms about that Pendleton girl and not making a peep about this baby?

And, if this had happened in a white neighborhood, there would have been a national uproar because usually, those things don't happen in a white neighborhood.

It's not that people care less because it was in a poor black neighborhood, it's that people are like "well, what do you expect when you deal drugs, are involved with gangs, etc"
Unfortunately, the chances of this baby growing up and becoming something better than her parents were slim. It's tragic that she won't get the chance but she certainly was going to have really bad role models.
What you're describing is that people are not surprised at the fact the baby was killed. That's a whole different thing from caring. People don't care enough about poor black people, kids and babies getting shot up because it doesn't affect their affluent quality of life. Saying "we'll their probably going to get shot anyway cause there are gangbangers close by" is just a way to justify the fact that they just don't care enough. Another example is the fact that you don't have huge portions of the nation pushing for gun control when poor minorities get shot, but when rich white kids get shot, you have the nation banding together to try and change the world... What, people are fine with not caring enough to have the same amount of out rage when minority kids and babies are getting massacred, just because they are not surprised? Disgusting!

Yes, poor black people getting shot up is reality. Another reality is that rich white people don't give **** until rich white kids start getting shot up.

So what if the babies parents were bad role models? Thats horrible for the baby, but it doesn't in anyway lessen the murder of this baby. We have no idea what the future of this baby was going to be if the baby survived. Some rich white kid could come from a rich white family and end up becoming a serial rapist. Who is anyone to lessen someone's future just because they are poor and black?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
race race race race race race race race race race race race race race race

All that stuff you wrote is such crap. Instead of focusing your rage at the gangbangers who shot the kid, or the kid's parents (especially the father) who seem to have gang ties and share some of the responsibility of her death, or the overall culture of these low income neighborhoods, you angrily blame the "white community" (whatever that is) for not caring. Who the hell is fine with minority kids and babies getting massacred? It's a shocking story, and everyone I know, regardless of their race, is heartbroken over it.

Your agenda is so goddamn obvious here.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
What you're describing is that people are not surprised at the fact the baby was killed. That's a whole different thing from caring. People don't care enough about poor black people, kids and babies getting shot up because it doesn't affect their affluent quality of life. Saying "we'll their probably going to get shot anyway cause there are gangbangers close by" is just a way to justify the fact that they just don't care enough. Another example is the fact that you don't have huge portions of the nation pushing for gun control when poor minorities get shot, but when rich white kids get shot, you have the nation banding together to try and change the world... What, people are fine with not caring enough to have the same amount of out rage when minority kids and babies are getting massacred, just because they are not surprised? Disgusting!

Yes, poor black people getting shot up is reality. Another reality is that rich white people don't give **** until rich white kids start getting shot up.

So what if the babies parents were bad role models? Thats horrible for the baby, but it doesn't in anyway lessen the murder of this baby. We have no idea what the future of this baby was going to be if the baby survived. Some rich white kid could come from a rich white family and end up becoming a serial rapist. Who is anyone to lessen someone's future just because they are poor and black?
It's not that white people don't care, it's that (at least in my circles), white people want the black community to help themselves and get themselves out of this mess. No amount of white rage or white people marching through a southside hood is going to change the fact that the black community has problems it has to deal with itself.
IMHO, it all starts with the culture in the black community saying that it's OK to have babies if you're an unmarried, uneducated, unemployed teen because grandma, great-grandma, auntie, the government etc will help take care of them. Blame goes to the guys to because they want to get some booty, but they won't use birth control and if a girl does get prego, they take no responsibility.
This is the beginning of a cycle of children growing up in fatherless homes with no positive male black role models and that usually leads to bad behavior.
I'd be willing to bet that if you polled all the black inmates in Cook Cnty jail, that a vast majority, 80+%, come from single parent (mom) homes, in which the mother had children as a teen, had multiple kids from multiple men, she didn't finish high school, etc.
I imagine some people are upset at what I'm writing, but it's just my opinion and what I see having worked in those communities.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
It's not that white people don't care, it's that (at least in my circles), white people want the black community to help themselves and get themselves out of this mess. No amount of white rage or white people marching through a southside hood is going to change the fact that the black community has problems it has to deal with itself.
IMHO, it all starts with the culture in the black community saying that it's OK to have babies if you're an unmarried, uneducated, unemployed teen because grandma, great-grandma, auntie, the government etc will help take care of them. Blame goes to the guys to because they want to get some booty, but they won't use birth control and if a girl does get prego, they take no responsibility.
This is the beginning of a cycle of children growing up in fatherless homes with no positive male black role models and that usually leads to bad behavior.
I'd be willing to bet that if you polled all the black inmates in Cook Cnty jail, that a vast majority, 80+%, come from single parent (mom) homes, in which the mother had children as a teen, had multiple kids from multiple men, she didn't finish high school, etc.
I imagine some people are upset at what I'm writing, but it's just my opinion and what I see having worked in those communities.
So, only Black people can fix "Black" problems, and consequently only White people can solve "White" problems? So white people are responsible for fixing the meth problems in the rural communities across this country. White people are responsible for solving the problems of illiteracy and extreme poverty in Appalachia? Only Natives can solve the poverty and alcoholism on reservations?

None of these are America's problem - each group is on their own, huh?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
The violent crime rate in Chicago actually isn't that high. 10.3 per 1000 residents which is about the same as London. London has a much lower murder rate (due in part to people not having guns like they do in the US), 1.5 (actually 1.1 in 2012 but that was less than usual) compared to 16 for Chicago, although if you're not involved in gang activity/don't live in a bad area the rate is only about 4, and if you're a white person the rate is under 1, so lower than London.

In general, violence/murder is spread out pretty evenly among all demographics (age, sex, race, etc. aren't that important) in England, in America it's horribly skewed against poor black and Hispanic people. However, I'm from a town which is about 90% white, 2% black, and it has just as much crime and violence as anywhere. It's the same root cause though: poverty, imbalance of wealth and just a general lack of work put in to help vulnerable members of society.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM

237 posts, read 440,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So, only Black people can fix "Black" problems, and consequently only White people can solve "White" problems? So white people are responsible for fixing the meth problems in the rural communities across this country. White people are responsible for solving the problems of illiteracy and extreme poverty in Appalachia? Only Natives can solve the poverty and alcoholism on reservations?

None of these are America's problem - each group is on their own, huh?
That's how it goes on the land, every man for himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
These people are 'zombies'. They are spiritually dead men walking. Only the very bottom of the barrel would open fire on a man changing his child's diapers and not care.
Demons in my mind

Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM

126 posts, read 219,374 times
Quote:
I don't think there's a lack of outrage, but there's certainly a lack of suprise. Obviously a baby getting gunned down is tragic, but when you read her dad's arrest record/gang affiliation and you hear that her mom (who I'm sure has a lengthy arrest record as well) was shot while 8 months pregnant (and probably affiliated with a gang), it's hard to sympathize with these people for not changing their ways knowing they'd be putting the child in danger.

Also, the fact that no one, including the shooting victims themselves, are willing to talk to police just makes is another "tough day on the southside" story.
This is very sad regardless of the parents' gang affiliation. I am extremely sad and sorry for the baby that was gunned down. That is what I am dealing with. An innocent baby was killed violently is alarmingly disturbing.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 998 times
Default Gang Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Of course, gang related. Perhaps I am disconnected from reality, but why in the world do these people mess around with gangs? Drugs? Money? Why do they not see there is no "value" in gangs anymore?
I agree there is no future in that life but the Bar or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago