Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So what do you propose we do, limit the supply of guns? I'm sure that'll work marvelously, like the time we limited the supply of illegal drugs and nobody got high anymore.
The production of cocaine isn't regulated. It is outlawed. Stop being a mindless parrot.

Illegal drugs aren't produced by big companies. It doesn't take a factory to produce a large quantity of cocaine or marijuana. It does take a factory to produce a ton of guns. One guy can grow a pot plant in his basement. One guy is probably not gonna be able to produce a thousand guns in his basement - it takes a large operation. So yes, regulating the production of guns will have an affect.

Regulation already has an affect on pharmaceutical companies.. Pharmecitical companies aren't putting THC in thier pain killing medication. There are restrictions and guess what, there would be harmful drugs on the market if these restrictions didn't exist. It worked. If you actually look at a comparable analogy (pharmaceutical companies), you realize that regulation of the market works. It doesn't go on the market.

It's alao.kinda like how there there are laws about the additives that can be put in cigarettes. And what do you know? Tobacco companies obey them. And the cigarettes without said additives aren't being smoked.

And anyway, why are you goin there? No one said anything about making all guns illegal. But assault rifles should be illegal. No one should have then - not cops or the public. And the only reason why anyone has them is because a company produced them.

Big companies aren't thinkin about the next drug for recreational use. They are thinking up the next powerful gun. This should be restricted, yes. If it doesn't go on the market, it doesnt to on the market.

I wish gun rights activists would actually think before speaking thier asinine augments as if they were fact.

Last edited by urza216; 03-23-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Over generalising may be your perception, but its certainly not to the massed of people who've been at the hand of it. Nt all police are abusive, and some, especially the few that live in these communities, truely want to helps, but plenty see it as going to where "the animals" are. some residents do want more police, many dont trust them, again it goes back to how theyve been treated as a community. If Rahm gave a damn about these communities, why are there more cops per capita in Lake View than Austin? Does he turn on the TV at night, see all the shootings, assaults, rapes etc... In these communities and say, hey, places like Austin need fewer cops. Notice Rahm didn't even start to address the problems in Austin until a cop was shot there, then suddenly he was all about stopping the violence there, and now that that news has blown over he's been pretty quite on that front.

How do you know residents don't do anything other than vigils? There are many anti violence efforts and developmental program's to offer activities for kids to get off the streets in many of these areas, the problem is money and resources are limited. These are the people who are trying to change these communities, not the mayor. The cops come along when the bodies start to fall, and to tackle some crime, but a lot of it goes unaddressed.

You want to talk about over generalising? You make it sound like the majority in places like Austin are criminals and dysfunctional members of society, when its the opposite.
You're still describing the results of the problem which is violent crime. I think you have to go back and ask yourself again, why is there so much violent crime in the BC? I don't believe it's a survival mechanism "If I don't rob/shoot this person, I can't eat". I don't think you see that in a lot of poor white areas. Sure, you get some methheads and some trailer trash beatin on his old lady in a drunken rage, but you don't have (for the most part), multiple shootings every single night and 90% of it over drugs/gangs.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You're still describing the results of the problem which is violent crime. I think you have to go back and ask yourself again, why is there so much violent crime in the BC? I don't believe it's a survival mechanism "If I don't rob/shoot this person, I can't eat". I don't think you see that in a lot of poor white areas. Sure, you get some methheads and some trailer trash beatin on his old lady in a drunken rage, but you don't have (for the most part), multiple shootings every single night and 90% of it over drugs/gangs.
You are actually talkin about urban poor and rural poor not white poor and black poor.

Believe it or not, there are, in fact, white URBAN poor people with that mentality. Not just meth heads in rural areas. This isn't the only deviant group of poor white people.

You should spend a month living and talking to people in Steger and South Chicago Heights. Another place you may want to spend some time in is Hammond, Indiana. You may be astounded at some of the things you will find white people doing and saying.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
by the way, talk to any chicago policeman, and they will tell you there is much news that is not reported. Plus, if a policeman does his job, he can get accused to racism if he a white policeman, arrests a black guy for example, (when it is clearly right to do so) or the police are told they cant do this and that because of political correctness gone amuck, in some places the police hands are tied and they cant do what they can do because they will be accused of racial profiling. Police used to be able to "stop and frisk" when a person looked suspicious, but now they can be sued or accused of racial profiling. Political correctness gone amuck is some of the problem.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Urza beat me to it. The problem is, you're trying to make this into a some kind of arguement where the black man and woman are somehow genetically predisposed to act dysfunctionally while the white man and woman aren't under the same circumstances. Like Urza said, you have to go and look at the societal differences between urban poor and rural poor. Then look at the societal differences of how policy has affected different racial groups. You are over simplifying complex and multifaceted problems that have grown out of decades of systemic, social and cultural dysfunction.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
by the way, talk to any chicago policeman, and they will tell you there is much news that is not reported. Plus, if a policeman does his job, he can get accused to racism if he a white policeman, arrests a black guy for example, (when it is clearly right to do so) or the police are told they cant do this and that because of political correctness gone amuck, in some places the police hands are tied and they cant do what they can do because they will be accused of racial profiling. Police used to be able to "stop and frisk" when a person looked suspicious, but now they can be sued or accused of racial profiling. Political correctness gone amuck is some of the problem.
No. It was always a complete violation of our 4th Amendment rights - regardless of what constituted the "suspicion".

Get right. The cop is a FASCIST, regardless of the skin color of the person he frisks for the crime of walking down the street.

I refuse to give my two cents about the racial profiling aspect of it. It's like if someone had a gun to someone'e head and I said "don't kill him!". I'm not gonna get into a discussion about "Are you sure you'd still have a problem with me killing him if he wasn't black?" WTF? No, it's just not okay. Period.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Funny you should mention this, because not long ago I talked to a cop I've known for some time, and he was telling me about some of the crazy stories some of the old timers told him about how back in the 60s and 70s they'd get some "animal", toss him in the trunk and drive around for the whole day, then let him go. There were plenty of other equally, some more disturbing, stories. It was just a way to torment the guy. I'm not saying there were no good cops, nor that even bad cops didn't do good things at times, but people either unaware of the treatment towards the BC over the years, or have a very short memory, and are fixated on the police having their hands tied. Lets not forget the police here have been significantly Irish for the longest time, and it doesn't take a history buff to know the Irish influence on this city and how it affected the poor black community.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It's like how you can say something negative about your mother but you're gonna get over-sensitive if someone else does. Chicago South Sider can say very negative things about the south side but he's still gonna get over-sensitive if some north sider who doesn't know what he's talking about starts talking s***.
This.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Well, he is from Woodlawn. Give the poor guy a break, already.
I actually grew up in Calumet Heights in the Pill Hill neighborhood. You don't know anything about me or my situation so you you need to ****, really. Honestly, you're they type of person that I would hate to run into in real life. You'll get me in trouble. I literally cannot stand people like you.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So what do you propose we do, limit the supply of guns? I'm sure that'll work marvelously, like the time we limited the supply of illegal drugs and nobody got high anymore.
you don't think anything could be done about straw buyers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago