Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Sadly, that baby girl was doomed from the moment of conception.

Why, oh why would the mother not move after being shot last year? Why, oh why would this "family man" not move to a safer location given his gang affiliation?

Unfortunate stories like these just remind me why it's important to not date and hang around w/ gangbangers, never mind marry and have kids with one.

Oh, and of course, despite this happening on a clear Monday early afternoon, no one is coming forth with information. Typical. Honestly, as sad as this is, there's a point where you just stop feeling bad for the grown adults living there are allowing this to happen. If the mother and father aren't cooperating w/ the police or willing to name names, then why should I feel bad for them? I feel bad for the baby born into this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
wow!! this is ....bad

Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Although much of these events are somewhat restricted to certain sections of the city, it does give an outsider some pause as to whether Chicago really is something to strive after, in terms of a place to live. I know that most of the city is perfectly fine ( outside of the more rudimentary urban dramas), but I do wonder if some of the attractions that Chicago offers could be found elsewhere, without this stuff happening. And warm weather has yet to arrive...

Sometimes, you see things through the prism of a visitor/tourist, forgetting that you don't actually live there, and can safely ignore all other events as "out-of-sight, out-of-mind". If you expect perfection wherever you go, you'll be eternally disappointed, and that's no way to live, either..

Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I am ashamed to live in a country where 1st graders get shot at school, and gang members shoot babies. I'd be fine with melting down all of the firearms in a furnace... And the gang members too. And the loner losers who think that killing kids will make them powerful or notorious or whatever stupid f___ing satisfaction they get from it. We can control the deer herds some other way.
I don't want to discuss the banning of firearms in this thread however I found it necessary to let you know that the argument FOR guns is not just about Deer Population Control. It is about exercising our freedom to protect ourselves. Whether we are protecting ourselves from fellow citizens, dangerous animals, foreign invasion, zombies, or our own government even. I find it important that we have the option.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I don't want to discuss the banning of firearms in this thread however I found it necessary to let you know that the argument FOR guns is not just about Deer Population Control.
If you don't want that debate, don't start that debate. I am fully aware of the arguments for guns, including self-defense and as a check against unlimited government power.

As long as there are millions of guns in America, I can fully appreciate the self-defense argument. As long as criminals have guns, law abiding citizens should have the right to own guns. And criminals flaunt gun control, so simply passing laws won't work. The only thing that would actually work is a massive all out ban of guns and an actual phyiscal elimination of them. And this just isn't going to happen in the United States of America. It's impractical and would take hundreds of years to melt down the current private stock, and would require broad support to repeal the 2nd Amendment. It seems unlikely that Americans would willingly surrender the guns they already own, and it's easy to stash them away. I put those odds at 1,000,000 to 1. We will always live in a version of the U.S. that is heavily armed.

But as far as the "power to the people" argument is concerned, I find it a bit ridiculous and paranoid. Even the most well-armed survivalist gun nut is no match for our federal government in this modern age. Every time one of them tries to confront federal authorities, it ends badly for them (Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc.). And if there is an attempt at an armed revolution, I don't think there would be broad support for the current right-wing tea party militia members.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you don't want that debate, don't start that debate. I am fully aware of the arguments for guns, including self-defense and as a check against unlimited government power.

As long as there are millions of guns in America, I can fully appreciate the self-defense argument. As long as criminals have guns, law abiding citizens should have the right to own guns. And criminals flaunt gun control, so simply passing laws won't work. The only thing that would actually work is a massive all out ban of guns and an actual phyiscal elimination of them. And this just isn't going to happen in the United States of America. It's impractical and would take hundreds of years to melt down the current private stock, and would require broad support to repeal the 2nd Amendment. It seems unlikely that Americans would willingly surrender the guns they already own, and it's easy to stash them away. I put those odds at 1,000,000 to 1. We will always live in a version of the U.S. that is heavily armed.

But as far as the "power to the people" argument is concerned, I find it a bit ridiculous and paranoid. Even the most well-armed survivalist gun nut is no match for our federal government in this modern age. Every time one of them tries to confront federal authorities, it ends badly for them (Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc.). And if there is an attempt at an armed revolution, I don't think there would be broad support for the current right-wing tea party militia members.
I am glad you are well aware of the current issue and debate at hand. Next time if you want to make a clear concise point towards the gun argument I suggest you say more than just "We can control the deer herds some other way." THAT is why I replied. Somebody may read your post and assume that is why us "gun nuts" want to keep and bear arms, is to fulfill some sort of hobby. Personally, I feel better keeping guns for my protection. Of course the government could overthrow the citizens with helicopters/bombs/whatever other firepower they have, but at least guns make it a whole lot harder to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
It makes me sick to the stomach that we are in a situation in this country where a 6 month old baby can be shot. It also makes me sick that there is a lesser amount of national public outrage over this... as if a poor, black baby that happens to have a gang affiliated father, is someone less worthy of mass scale public morning and outrage than white kids in a rich area. The country should be equally shaken by EVERY child victim, regardless of race of economic standing.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It makes me sick to the stomach that we are in a situation in this country where a 6 month old baby can be shot. It also makes me sick that there is a lesser amount of national public outrage over this... as if a poor, black baby that happens to have a gang affiliated father, is someone less worthy of mass scale public morning and outrage than white kids in a rich area. The country should be equally shaken by EVERY child victim, regardless of race of economic standing.
Welcome to America.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I don't think there's a lack of outrage, but there's certainly a lack of suprise. Obviously a baby getting gunned down is tragic, but when you read her dad's arrest record/gang affiliation and you hear that her mom (who I'm sure has a lengthy arrest record as well) was shot while 8 months pregnant (and probably affiliated with a gang), it's hard to sympathize with these people for not changing their ways knowing they'd be putting the child in danger.

Also, the fact that no one, including the shooting victims themselves, are willing to talk to police just makes is another "tough day on the southside" story.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Derrick Rose Offers To Help Pay For Some Of Jonylah Watkins’ Funeral Expenses « CBS Chicago

Derrick Rose offers to help pay for the funeral expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago