Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) Chicago is very walkable in many areas. Driving everywhere is not needed.
2) You don't need a car depending on where you live/are going. Chicago has the 2nd most extensive mass transit system in the US. Everyone takes it..I've ever seen the Mayor taking the train home before. Especially if you live within reasonable distance to 600 w chicago, you might need a car every once in awhile depending on what you're doing but you'll probably find yourself not needing it very often (happens to a lot of people).

3) Easy street parking or a driveway/garage? Not going to find that within reasonable distance to 600 w chicago. Sounds like you'd do better off in the suburbs.
I find the difficulty of street parking to be very overrated, I almost never have issues parking on the street in the most densely populated areas of the city. Additionally, having a car is plenty useful in Chicago, you may not need one, but from my 27 years living here, I find driving is more convenient far more than walking, especially East-West Trips or Trips that take me far from my home neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I find the difficulty of street parking to be very overrated, I almost never have issues parking on the street in the most densely populated areas of the city. Additionally, having a car is plenty useful in Chicago, you may not need one, but from my 27 years living here, I find driving is more convenient far more than walking, especially East-West Trips or Trips that take me far from my home neighborhood.
It depends on the time of day and where you are basically. Can you find street parking without a ton of luck in Lakeview at 3pm on a Wednesday? Yes. Can you find street parking there at 8pm on a Thursday or pretty much any day? Yes ,but it's a hell of a lot harder.

Yes a car can be useful but you don't *need* one for many areas, even if you are going east-west. It might not be as fast as a car or train, but it's still easily doable with a bus.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Street parking in Ukrainian Village shouldn't be too bad. I did it for years in some of the busiest parts of WP/Bucktown with minimal problems, often in areas that didn't even need the zone sticker, so I imagine it would be even easier in Ukrainian Village. And you would be able to take the bus to work if you don't have parking there, the car's in the shop, etc.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Street parking in Ukrainian Village shouldn't be too bad. I did it for years in some of the busiest parts of WP/Bucktown with minimal problems, often in areas that didn't even need the zone sticker, so I imagine it would be even easier in Ukrainian Village. And you would be able to take the bus to work if you don't have parking there, the car's in the shop, etc.
Exactly..and the "crowd" in UK Village is not as "rowdy" (overstated) as an area like say parts of Lincoln Park.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It depends on the time of day and where you are basically. Can you find street parking without a ton of luck in Lakeview at 3pm on a Wednesday? Yes. Can you find street parking there at 8pm on a Thursday or pretty much any day? Yes ,but it's a hell of a lot harder.

Yes a car can be useful but you don't *need* one for many areas, even if you are going east-west. It might not be as fast as a car or train, but it's still easily doable with a bus.
I lived on Burling and Diversey in LP (which is one the densest areas of LP) for a few years, and parked on the street everyday, hardly ever had a problem. Did I have to circle the block every now and then, sure, but never had issues.

Of course you don't need a car, but it sure as hell comes in handy most of the time (at least for me personally). Chicago isn't New York City, where it is damn near impossible to even own a car, Chicago is the best of both worlds, it is doable in many areas without one, and is convenient to have one.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I lived on Burling and Diversey in LP (which is one the densest areas of LP) for a few years, and parked on the street everyday, hardly ever had a problem. Did I have to circle the block every now and then, sure, but never had issues.

Of course you don't need a car, but it sure as hell comes in handy most of the time (at least for me personally). Chicago isn't New York City, where it is damn near impossible to even own a car, Chicago is the best of both worlds, it is doable in many areas without one, and is convenient to have one.
I agree with you here and I now know why the OP needs a car, which came after the message of mine you replied to. I still think Ukrainian Village is a good area. The street parking is not a huge hassle like it *can* be in other areas, you can get a lot for your money, the crowd is older (but not too old), and it's a short bus ride over to the OP's work (and if they have parking available for employees, then it's a short drive likewise).

I think though it depends on the OP's personality..the area isn't right for everyone, but to 600 W Chicago it's a good strategic location for a fairly painless commute. Gold Coast you'd have to take two buses to get there basically or your drive would be longer (but not by much).

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I agree with you here and I now know why the OP needs a car, which came after the message of mine you replied to. I still think Ukrainian Village is a good area. The street parking is not a huge hassle like it *can* be in other areas, you can get a lot for your money, the crowd is older (but not too old), and it's a short bus ride over to the OP's work (and if they have parking available for employees, then it's a short drive likewise).

I think though it depends on the OP's personality..the area isn't right for everyone, but to 600 W Chicago it's a good strategic location for a fairly painless commute. Gold Coast you'd have to take two buses to get there basically or your drive would be longer (but not by much).
Agreed. Though Old Town could work too with the Sedgwick Brown Line to Chicago Ave (which is a about a 10 min walk to 600W, though many workers do that walk there).

I am not at all anti transit, I actually think it is stupid to drive into the loop for work if you have access to the CTA, but outside of business hours I personally rarely use PT.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I am not at all anti transit, I actually think it is stupid to drive into the loop for work if you have access to the CTA, but outside of business hours I personally rarely use PT.
For the Loop and the greater "downtown" area? In general I think it's stupid unless you can find cheap parking deals or your company pays your parking. There are places that are $35+/day. Even a round trip cab ride from Lakeview is probably less than that and less stressful even.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
For the Loop and the greater "downtown" area? In general I think it's stupid unless you can find cheap parking deals or your company pays your parking. There are places that are $35+/day. Even a round trip cab ride from Lakeview is probably less than that and less stressful even.
agree.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM

413 posts, read 832,744 times
The answer here is obvious. Anything around Chicago avenue to the immediate west is perfect for the OP's needs. This would include river west, west town, noble square, east Ukrainian Village and Ukrainian Village. If the OP checks a map, basically anything near Chicago between Halsted and Western. Live far enough east and the OP can walk to work. Further west and its a 5-10 minute bus ride on the 66 bus.

Street parking is easy in this neighborhood. Rents are reasonable too. And there is plenty of activity and the area is relatively safe. My friend just rented a reasonable 1BR at Chicago and Noble for $975. You will be able to find less updated 2BR for $1300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago