Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

The OP graduated from DePaul and is ready for the next phase of their life...

The sorts of tackiness that once did exist in Old Town is long gone. There is a whole lot of other tacky crap still in places like River North (and even the various twisted ego driven stuff like (re)naming of museums in Lincoln Park or sports facilities in Evanston...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Thats true I was there a week or so ago and it looks better than it did. I am still not a fan. You know I have my opinions and biases.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM

At some level everything does come down to personal taste...

The various shifts in "pre-trendy" to "hot" to "passe" are something that effects lots of places. The OP is looking to rent and if they find something in their price range the thing that'll matter is what is going on now and from what I gather Old Town is probably kind of perfect for where they are at right now in their life.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM

147 posts, read 164,730 times
I always thought of Old Town as the OTT, but people have been counting the part of Wells between Division and North for a long time. It was kind of seedy when I was young, but the the last few times I was down there, it definitely seemed to have gentrified a bit- the adult book store was still there, for instance, but it looked a lot more respectable. The area along North seems to have improved, but when I've been a couple blocks southwest of, say, North and Sedgwick, it still looked rather shabby.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM

The longer history of Old Town has always been more oriented toward the eastern side --

Old Town Dining - Old Town Merchants & Residents Association

Chicago's Old Town Self-Guided Walking Tour and Sightseeing Map | MetroWalkz

The clean up of the former public housing has revitalized the western parts.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
I currently live off the Irving Park stop of the Brown Line and really enjoy the area, but I want to be a more local.
Wait..what? Are you kidding me? There's great stuff near the Irving Park brown line stop. That's right in the heart of the city. You're like 5 minutes from Lakeview. I guess I don't understand your point here.. just sounds like you haven't explored your own area enough yet. Let's get real now. It's not like you are living in Mount Greenwood..

In any case..Old Town? Meh. You can do a lot better. Old Town is not bad. There's some good stores, restaurants, and a few good bars (although run by dbags now). Not my favorite part of town in the least bit personally. Depends on what you're looking for though.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wait..what? Are you kidding me? There's great stuff near the Irving Park brown line stop. That's right in the heart of the city. You're like 5 minutes from Lakeview. I guess I don't understand your point here.. just sounds like you haven't explored your own area enough yet. Let's get real now. It's not like you are living in Mount Greenwood..

In any case..Old Town? Meh. You can do a lot better. Old Town is not bad. There's some good stores, restaurants, and a few good bars (although run by dbags now). Not my favorite part of town in the least bit personally. Depends on what you're looking for though.
Thank you for the links. I really like Irving Park, but I like the highrise lifestyle better. It feels more like home to me since I grew up in a highrise in NYC. Plus, the bus that runs west/east is not 24 hours, nor is the Brown Line. I have already run into several instances where it was a little more difficult to get home since I don't drive.

That was the other problem, I arrived in December and found that there were not a lot of people out and about along Irving Park. All though the bars were full, a lot of people seemed to already be in their little groups. I am really looking forward to summer when there are more people out and about and more opportunities to explore the different neighborhoods.

Is Lakeview basically the area where everything is at in terms or bars, art, music venues etc?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 28,788 times
Student to Student I would live in either LP or Wrigley/Lakeview, preferably the latter as Lakeview is far more edgy than LP which seems to me to be filled with old money and families. By edgy I mean more young, gritty feeling, boystown etc. Old Town is expensive and home to more people in their 30's 40's

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM

19 posts, read 24,055 times
Old Town can be great for a student. Think of all the nice bars and restaurants on Well St. between Division and North Ave. North of North Ave. is home to Adobo, Wells on Wells, Corcoran's and Second City. When I was in grad school and lived in Gold Coast, I actually spent a lot of my time on the nights and weekends in Old Town. It's a bit more mature but also can be more expensive.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Thank you for the links. I really like Irving Park, but I like the highrise lifestyle better. It feels more like home to me since I grew up in a highrise in NYC. Plus, the bus that runs west/east is not 24 hours, nor is the Brown Line. I have already run into several instances where it was a little more difficult to get home since I don't drive.

That was the other problem, I arrived in December and found that there were not a lot of people out and about along Irving Park. All though the bars were full, a lot of people seemed to already be in their little groups. I am really looking forward to summer when there are more people out and about and more opportunities to explore the different neighborhoods.

Is Lakeview basically the area where everything is at in terms or bars, art, music venues etc?
If you want to be around younger people, I'd live in Lakeview to be honest. There are high rises near the lake if you wish to live in one.

Really I'd try and get around to find places that you like. The fact that you're looking for a fun nightlife but are talking about moving from a middle-age neighborhood to an old-money part of town suggests that you have much more to learn about the city than I can explain here. Even still, you're a mile or two from the heart of Lakeview and are on the internet asking what the neighborhood is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago