Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,553 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'm writing a story on the governor's recent proposal to raise the Illinois minimum wage to 10$/hr by 2017. I'm looking into how the change could improve some people's living conditions while possibly making it harder to others to find work.

If you're working a minimum wage job, if you're looking for a minimum wage job, or if you have a opinion you'd like to express on the topic, please leave a comment on the topic. I'm looking out for sources so please indicate if you'd be willing to interview.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Default Hey, why stop there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . ECG View Post
It should've been increased to AT LEAST $15/ hour if you ask me.
I think that the Great and Powerful Pat Quinn should decree that the minimum wage in Illinois should be no less that the average "wage" of Sheldon Adelson -- These Americans Have Made The Most Billions Under Obama - Forbes

Mr. Adelson wages would translate to $3,461,538.46/hr

Seems fair...

(btw lest the above headline give incorrect impression of Mr. Adelson's political leanings : Sheldon Adelson Vows To 'Double' Donations To GOP After Huge 2012 Election Failure )

Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,698 times
IMO, it will just destroy the economy of the state.

Those who are already making more than $10/hour will not get an adjustment to make up for the increased costs of everything. You think employers are just going to suck up the increased cost of labor without raising prices? And even if employers did give an adjustment for those making more than $10/hour, that would just be inflation.

Meanwhile, those who are making more than $10/hour will not get an adjustment but their cost of living has gone up so they stand to lose.

Prices on everything will go up. Will those who get bumped to $10/hour really benefit when the cost of everything just goes up in proportion.

The real issue is that people are making minimum wage because minimum wage jobs are not high skill jobs. But you know what, it makes people feel good, it gets votes for politicians. People are probably poor more for their poor spending habits than they are for how much they bring home.

The high cost of labor could also drive employers out of the state. Illinois already increased the state income tax from 3% to 5% and that is a big factor when it comes to big corporations.

Of course, the state of Illinois will bring in more tax revenue but that's just more money for the government to blow on something else.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,987,247 times
10 an hr is what it should be. Most people I know make more than minimum wage.

5% payroll tax is about average. Missouri is 3 to 6% last I checked. St. Louis city residents add additional 1%. North Carolina I believe is 6 to 7%.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM

264 posts, read 280,942 times
I think that there are factors to consider both ways. I would be for an increase because I think that it is almost useless to work for less than that. Making such a small amount doesn't encourage people to want to work because government programs can give you close to this without lifting a finger. Young people are also less likely to work at these low levels and a life of crime sounds all the more appealing.
The flip side of this is that there will be less jobs in the city as companies are forced to operate leaner. In the end though, paying people ultra low wages doesn't do much for anyone.
Good luck with your paper - this is a good topic!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Does the city of Chicago have an income tax in addition to the federal and state tax?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,181,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Does the city of Chicago have an income tax in addition to the federal and state tax?
no

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,227,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
IMO, it will just destroy the economy of the state.

Those who are already making more than $10/hour will not get an adjustment to make up for the increased costs of everything. You think employers are just going to suck up the increased cost of labor without raising prices? And even if employers did give an adjustment for those making more than $10/hour, that would just be inflation.

Meanwhile, those who are making more than $10/hour will not get an adjustment but their cost of living has gone up so they stand to lose.

Prices on everything will go up. Will those who get bumped to $10/hour really benefit when the cost of everything just goes up in proportion.

The real issue is that people are making minimum wage because minimum wage jobs are not high skill jobs. But you know what, it makes people feel good, it gets votes for politicians. People are probably poor more for their poor spending habits than they are for how much they bring home.

The high cost of labor could also drive employers out of the state. Illinois already increased the state income tax from 3% to 5% and that is a big factor when it comes to big corporations.

Of course, the state of Illinois will bring in more tax revenue but that's just more money for the government to blow on something else.
For a vast majority of jobs that pay people less than $10 an hour that small increase to that amount is going to do nothing to the price of goods. $10 an hour is very little. I don't know anyone who makes anywhere near that little per hour. I know there are certainly many jobs that pay less than $10, but corporations are hardly going to go down paying their employees $10 an hour while the upper management gets well over $100 an hour.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
For a vast majority of jobs that pay people less than $10 an hour that small increase to that amount is going to do nothing to the price of goods. $10 an hour is very little. I don't know anyone who makes anywhere near that little per hour. I know there are certainly many jobs that pay less than $10, but corporations are hardly going to go down paying their employees $10 an hour while the upper management gets well over $100 an hour.
You don't think that Dominicks, Jewel, Wal Mart and fast food places that pay less than $10/hour are going to raise their prices accordingly?

I just don't see them absorbing the cost of increased labor expense.

Dominicks and Jewel are expensive enough already!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
10 an hr is what it should be. Most people I know make more than minimum wage.

5% payroll tax is about average. Missouri is 3 to 6% last I checked. St. Louis city residents add additional 1%. North Carolina I believe is 6 to 7%.
Same here. But "more than minimum" wage can still be dirt poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago