Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times

Advertisements

also, as I titled the thread I'm a chauvanist. (A Chauvanist is not a bad thing and it's not un-PC*, athough current dictionary definitions have changed over the years)

When getting on a bus and approaching a limited number of empty seats I will always offer it to a standing female first.
It may be unusual and strange. I'm OK with that. I also get into a short converstation about once a week with very nice people. Yesterday I even got a Christmas card given to me from a young lady I had helped out last Friday. It even said; "Merry Chistmas" on the card. Evidently I'm not the only chauvanist out there

*Its oroginal meaning was to refer to Nicolas Chauvin. One might consider him the patron saint of lost causes. Continuing to do what he thought was right despite the situation or current sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM

If I take one thing away from this thread discussion it's basically; "The world is what you make it", or, as the Buddhists say; "You are what you think"

I give up my seat for the elderly, infirm, burdened and defer (not give up) to a female. I smile when I do it and actually, enjoy doing it. It feels like the right thing. I also often end up in converstations with nice women, they smile at me, I know know some by name and I recently got a Christmas card.

Others are cranky, beligerant, block seats etc. and spend their time in their self isolated world, sure that their fellow man is gready and selfish. Just look at the posts from the "*********" people as opposed to the "We are all equal but I will help those in need".

Merry Christmas
and
"Get off my lawn!!"

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I'd rather look like a fool for being polite than look like a dick for being a dick.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'd rather look like a fool for being polite than look like a dick for being a dick.
Also an old Buddhist saying.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Also an old Buddhist saying.
LOL. And a good one.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Do you even ride the Cta? If you are not able bodied you sit in the ****ing handicapped seat. I know.. novel concept, right?

If you want to take your wanna be Donald Draper-Mad Men self around holding doors open for women and getting up to let some stranger have your seat, knock yourself out. That crap went out with the 60's, where it belongs.

You want equal rights? How about the equal right to wait the **** in line for an open seat like a normal person? What the **** ever happened to that? Your gender, race, income, age(infants/toddlers would be the exception) does not entitle you to my seat which I got fair and square.

This conversation remindes me of these morons who tried to take my seat on an AIRPLANE. I'm sitting at a window seat I pay for, and some lame couple DEMANDS I switch seats with them. I told them, buy your tickets on time like normal people and you won't be sitting seperated from each other. I payed for my seat, and I'm sitting in it.

I don't get where the **** people got the idea that they are entitled to an occupied seat, simply because they want it. If you want to make your own rules, buy a god damn car.
I dont get you. Have you ever done something nice for someone without them doing something for you first. I guess a random act kindness is beneath you. Whatever raised you must be proud. Lol

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM

5 posts, read 11,628 times
I almost never sit in the Priority Seating (only as a last resort if the other seats are full). When I do sit there, I definitely give my seat up for the elderly and disabled.

If I'm not sitting in that area, I'm much more hesitant to give up my seat, but if the people sitting in the designated section refuse to give up their seats, I'll give up mine.

I have a bad knee that hurts fairly often (and almost always hurts by the end of a train ride when I've been standing), but I'm not elderly or disabled, so I will give my seat up since I see them as needing it more than I do. I won't give up my seat for anyone else, though.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I dont get you. Have you ever done something nice for someone without them doing something for you first. I guess a random act kindness is beneath you. Whatever raised you must be proud. Lol
I run into angry people like this occasionally.

I just remember that a person may be mean to me for a short period of time. But that person has to live with themself every day. That thought usually dissapates the anger I have about being treated poorly.

I have ridden on planes where my wife and I can not book together. The two times I've asked people if they would switch so I could sit with my wife they have said yes. Of course, now that I've been married for a while it's no longer a hardship to be seperated from my wife for the plane ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago