Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM

413 posts, read 833,053 times

Advertisements

I definitely give up my seat for elderly or pregnant. Giving up a seat for women is stupid IMO. I would think its insulting to them also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Two funny points

1. A friend and I were on the subway in new York. A woman with a child in one hand and a bag balanced on her opposite hip came in. Both my friend and I jumped up and offered our seats. The woman said she was getting off soon. No thank you.

Two minutes later she looked at us both, smiled, and said :"you are not from arounf here, are you?"
I lived in New York this past summer. Getting a seat was such a rare event that when I got one, I held onto it dearly unless I saw someone who was clearly in need of it. But in general, the New Yorkers who have trouble with mobility ride the bus. The fact that the subway platforms are down three or four flights of stairs kind of limits the people who can ride it.

On the bus, I get on and make a beeline for the back. I hate dealing with all the seat politics.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
What ever happened to equal rights? Man or woman you have an equal right to stand there and shut up and not bother asking me for my seat on the CTA. I don't care if you are on the way to the hospital, the answer is no.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
What ever happened to equal rights? Man or woman you have an equal right to stand there and shut up and not bother asking me for my seat on the CTA. I don't care if you are on the way to the hospital, the answer is no.
You wouldn't give up your seat to someone on their way to the hospital?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,777 times
I love people like that poster. They are going to be young and able bodied forever so they lack empathy for anyone that needs assistance. Boy oh boy life has a big surprise waiting for people like that. To get old is to be humbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
If I'm sitting next to an empty seat, i will also get up and move to another seat, in order to let a mother and child (or 2 friends, or family members) have the 2 empty seats side by side.

I will do the same thing, to make room for a very fat person who needs 2 seats (provided there's another seat available I can move to).

As long as there has been public transit, there has also been the problem of standees not moving to the very back, to make room for new passengers to get on. They don't ever seem to notice new passengers trying to get on, which makes the driver or other passengers invariably have to beg and prod the standees to move further back -- which wastes even more time. So much time could be saved, if people would just move to the back to begin with.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb I Have A Better Question...

Quote:
Whatever happened to not trying to make everything about how much attitude you can spit, or how big your cojones are?

Man or woman, we have an equal right not to deal with you acting like a hyperactive teenager, beating your chest and selling wolf tickets about how you're 'by-god not gonna give up your seat, and nobody can make ya!'

How about this: the majority of people in the real world, and maybe even here, don't really give a rubber-dipped rat's a** about your seat on the CTA, or your 'what's it to ya?' attitude

Somewhere as we speak, a playground is missing its' bully...why don't you apply for the job, so your seat on the CTA will be empty, and folks don't have to worry about being blown over by hot air?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I always get up if it's someone who obviously needs to sit more than I do. I don't get up for a random woman who's in the same health as I am, although I see lots of men jump up immediatly if a woman gets on. Sometimes it's almost awkward, and many times the woman jumps for the taking.

I've had a few times where an elderly person gets on and stands right next to me, but i'm involved in texting or something and don't really notice until someone else offers them a seat. Then I feel like a jerk. I've noticed a few people who will just sit right in the handicapped seat when an obviously elderly person gets on. Most people will silently stare at the person like "wow".

I really get annoyed downtown by this overpowering culture that ALL women MUST enter and exit the elevator first in the office buildings. I normally just get on in as "normal" a boarding order as possible. I really don't see why the woman in the back of the crowd has to push through to enter first. From asking, most women hate it.

Also get annoyed at people who sit on the aisle seat when there's an open window! I always make a point of pushing over them and annoying them by making them move. I like the window better anyway.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Whatever happened to not trying to make everything about how much attitude you can spit, or how big your cojones are?

Man or woman, we have an equal right not to deal with you acting like a hyperactive teenager, beating your chest and selling wolf tickets about how you're 'by-god not gonna give up your seat, and nobody can make ya!'

How about this: the majority of people in the real world, and maybe even here, don't really give a rubber-dipped rat's a** about your seat on the CTA, or your 'what's it to ya?' attitude

Somewhere as we speak, a playground is missing its' bully...why don't you apply for the job, so your seat on the CTA will be empty, and folks don't have to worry about being blown over by hot air?

Well for not giving a rats behind, you sure have quite a long winded response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If someone bugs me on end about my seat, I would be more likely to send them to the hospital.

This is America. No such thing as something for nothing, especially in Chicago.

Go ahead and give up your seat, and stand on the CTA for the rest of your life. It will make up for me sitting down.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb Y'know What? You're Right...

Quote:
Well for not giving a rats behind, you sure have quite a long winded response.

If someone bugs me on end about my seat, I would be more likely to send them to the hospital.

This is America. No such thing as something for nothing, especially in Chicago.

Go ahead and give up your seat, and stand on the CTA for the rest of your life. It will make up for me sitting down.

This IS America...and I can be as short or long-winded as I please...don't like my response? Don't read it

And what's more, you trying to bust all hard over something like a bus seat? "I'd be more likely to send them to the hospital"? If that's your idea of letting folk know what a man you are, then you've got somre growing up to do, in a hurry

Wolf tickets and attitude don't make a man, and generally don't frighten anyone with a spine and a pair of stones...you go right ahead and sit in your seat and act tough all day, the rest of us will do just fine and the world will keep on turning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago