Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM

359 posts, read 549,211 times

Advertisements

I work from time to time in Waukegan, but live in the city...it is NOT a good drive, at all...especially during the winter time when the roads ice up/snow over etc. All your energy will be depleted by the time you get home at night. Sorry for the bad news, but you are not going to enjoy living in CHI if you have to drive to WAU to work and back every day. I'm just telling it like it is. Waukegan is almost in Wisconsin; you are better off living in Milwaukee and doing their version of city living. Try the Milwaukee forum.

Best of luck,

Link N. Parker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manigault View Post
i suggest deerfield or lake zurich. There's more nightlife in evanston, but it is well know that no roads go there.
lol...

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,610 times
I never though of Deerfield of Lake Zurich as having nightlife, but it's worth looking into. I'm currently in the Libertyville/Gurnee area and I'd really like to get away from that. I don't have friends in the burbs anymore as all my college friends are spread out among the Chicago area. I feel like if I stay in the burbs I can't make friends or meet anyone because it's all families or just a few people in their 20s who live with their parents. At this point in my life, I really don't mind sacrificing the short commute in order to live in an area of young professionals. Now it's just a question of how far I'm willing to go. I've seen some places in Evanston that would take 40-50 mins (according to google maps). In my opinion the drive would be worth it because I won't be happy living in a true suburb.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I really doubt you'd be happy in Evanston -- just plan out your drive from Ukranian Village with care.mif you are a teacher you'll generally be able to get on the road home before the peak of rushhour...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Haha. What time do you consider to be rush hour?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ames222 View Post
Haha. What time do you consider to be rush hour?
As someone who commutes by car between Wicker Park and Arlington Heights....the commute does suck. I spend on average 2.5 hours a day in the car. Sometimes I'm able to take the metra and that's about 40 min one way and it's sooo much better. It's always on time and you save hours of your life. It will always take the same amount of time, never a guessing game between a 45 min drive or 1 hour 45 min drive.

Waukegan is not close at all to the city, you're over halfway to Wisconsin at that point. I'd say move to Waukegan for a year or so for this job and then try to focus on finding a job in the city and move there. CPS pays ridiculously high wages and the benefits are criminally great. They should be, the union rakes the city and taxpayers over almost anually on getting more money and more benefits. If I were a teacher I'd take advantage of that school system.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^That's for bringing politics into the discussion for no useful reason at all!

Anyway, what are your teaching hours? Sometimes they're a bit off from the heaviest commuting times which could conceivably help you.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM

hahahaha. I appreciate the advice, dcubs, but I completely disagree. I don't want to "take advantage" of that school system. The system takes advantages of teachers, at the expense of the students.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on where to live.

Aragx6, the kids leave at 3:38 but I leave when I'm done working. It varies day by day. I usually try to leave by 5:30 though.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Wow that is odd, do you coach?

When I was teaching I often got to school well before the kids especially when I needed to setup labs or demonstrations. I sponsored a club that met during the after school activity time, but that wrapped up by 4:30 or so. I know some of the coaches would have practices that ran later...

Sticking around till 5:30 is going to be peak rush hour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames222 View Post
hahahaha. I appreciate the advice, dcubs, but I completely disagree. I don't want to "take advantage" of that school system. The system takes advantages of teachers, at the expense of the students.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on where to live.

Aragx6, the kids leave at 3:38 but I leave when I'm done working. It varies day by day. I usually try to leave by 5:30 though.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
If you don't have any specific clubs or appointments after class ends I would consider leaving and then doing your work at home. The difference in traffic between 3:45 and 5:30 is going to be immense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago