Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It drives me crazy when people say public transportation should "pay for itself"... If you look at the vast sums of money that we put into highway and other road construction, not to mention the subsidies of the oil industries and the not-so-hidden geopolitical costs of doing business in the middle east, the single Automobile in America is perhaps the most subsidized form of transportation in the history of the world!

Public transportation is a GOVERNMENT SERVICE, just like the roads, sewers, utilities, and other essential government functions. It is not meant to be profitable, and it shouldn't be expected to be! Additionally, the economy of the entire region is largely dependent on the efficient movement of goods and services in the Chicago area, and the economic impact of greater gridlock would be felt on the regional and perhaps national level. Get it together, Illinois Lawmakers! You're messing around with a lot more than a few trains and busses here!
Yessir, our State just dumped $730 million into extending I-355 to encourage more urban sprawl. According to Sunday's Trib, 20,000 acres of new subdivisions are expected to pop up along the corridor. In other words, more than 20,000 acres of farm land will be destroyed and tens of thousands of gallons of more fuel will be wasted per year. All of this while inner city neighborhoods which could be revitalized are allowed to decay.

Ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yessir, our State just dumped $730 million into extending I-355 to encourage more urban sprawl. According to Sunday's Trib, 20,000 acres of new subdivisions are expected to pop up along the corridor. In other words, more than 20,000 acres of farm land will be destroyed and tens of thousands of gallons of more fuel will be wasted per year. All of this while inner city neighborhoods which could be revitalized are allowed to decay.

Ugh

*plugs ears*
lalalalalalalalalalala what did you say???

double ugh.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM

101 posts, read 411,190 times
So how did your elections go? I'm sure this would have been a big part in how people voted.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
j33 j33 started this thread

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
We didn't have any this time around.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
We didn't have any this time around.
since i haven't lived here very long, when DO i get to vote and try to make myself feel better? heheh.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
*plugs ears*
lalalalalalalalalalala what did you say???

double ugh.
Hehe. Triple ugh What a freakin' waste.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Even though there wasn't a vote, everyone should still be writing to the legislature, Blago and Daley. We need to keep the pressure up even when its not a week until doomsday, or else these *******s will that they can continue to kick the ball down the road, and prevent to enact any real legislation.

Each month they fail to act, the CTA loses 11 million dollars saved in labor renegotiations that do not take effect until the funding formula is revised.

on edit: I had no idea schm*ck was considered a bad word...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago