Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

I have a huge issue - especially on a rainy day like today - when the bus is the 2nd or 3rd bus from the actual bus stop. Does he consider that the bus stop while waiting for the traffic light to change to green, or will he actually pull forward to the actual bus stop? Especially when he is 2-3 bus lengths from the actual bus stop & he lets people out of the bus, because they don't want to wait for the light to change, so they get out early,,, so I always wonder if he is really going to take me forward to the actual bus stop so that I don't have to get rained on (or snowed on that much more).

I asked the bus driver to please let me out at the bus stop itself, and I was worried that he didn't hear me and then proceed past the bus stop, just because some people are too much in a hurry and want to get off sooner.

This happens when the bus driver stops because the traffic light is red, and there's a bus or two ahead of him.

I hate that! This is the 2nd day in a row that they did it.

The other thing is the opposite - when you are waiting at a busy bus stop - like downtown - there are 2-3 buses that stop at the bus stop, and yours is the 3rd one. So, do you wait till he gets to the actual bus stop or do you run for it, and sometimes he lets you on, and sometimes the driver waves at you to wait at the bus stop.

The other thing is - when I AM waiting at the bus stop, and 2-3 buses line up, I take a chance that the 3rd bus is going to pull up to the bus stop, because that's the one I need. However, because no one ran to him, he thinks no one wants the bus. So he does not actually come to the bus stop but when the traffic light turns green, he then goes around the other buses, and does not pick me up! I then see what is happening and have to go running out in the middle of the street and scream at him that I really wanted his bus! But obviously he feels that since he was the 3rd bus that came to a stop at the bus stop, then he thinks I should have run all the way back to him!

The other thing I get annoyed with is when the bus does not stop close to the curb, and if you get out of the back of the bus, to avoid puddles or snow drifts, you are too far from the curb, and you have to step in the mush. This is when they pull up to the bus stop at an angle and the back exit is too far from the curb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
All valid points, I've had all these happen to me as well.

Another CTA pet peeve of mine (sorry this one is about passengers) is people who don't take off their back pack on a packed bus, they take up extra space, take them off. Today dud comes on bus from rain and he's rubbing his wet backpack on my dry shirt, a*#hole, open ur eyes and realize the other people!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
All inherent problems with buses on overloaded routes, and fixing it would require either moving some of the buses to nearby streets or make them even slower.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
All inherent problems with buses on overloaded routes, and fixing it would require either moving some of the buses to nearby streets or make them even slower.
Or put sensors in them so that they turn lights green.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I've always liked it when the bus lets you off one or two bus lengths before the stop if the light is red. You don't have to sit and wait to get off, and if you're on the bus, you won't have to risk losing out on the green light because the bus waits through a red, then pulls forward 20 feet, then you sit there and miss that green. I've asked the bus drivers many times to "just let me off here" when we're almost to the stop but not quite - and had them say no. Very annoying. I get it if they're not fully pulled over or there are parked cars right there - but if it's just curb.....come on. Save us all time. We can walk 20 feet.

If I'm at a stop on Michigan or somewhere with multiple buses I will always wander down to the bus if it's 2nd or 3rd in the line to board. Makes it easier to board at crowded stops than if EVERYONE waits together in one little spot and then every buses have to pull up one at a time. Very pointless and a waste of time for the 2nd and 3rd buses. I'm always annoyed again when I walk 15 feet to get the 2nd bus and the driver points to the actual stop with a bus in it and 50 people waiting to get on. You just end up waiting through at least one light cycle, then you get your bus at the stop, then you wait again.

So much easier to load or empty 2 or maybe even 3 at once near a stop.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
This would cause absolute chaos on overloaded routes if you have 3-4 buses lined up, all holding the light green, all different numbered buses, each having to stop and unload on the far side of the light but only room for one at a time. It's simply not practical in situations like those that occur on Michigan Avenue, Lasalle St and State Street during rush hour. It's great for streets with one bus route and not a lot of bus bunching for improving bus travel times, but it does little to nothing to fix some of the problems described here and would cause many others.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've always liked it when the bus lets you off one or two bus lengths before the stop if the light is red. You don't have to sit and wait to get off, and if you're on the bus, you won't have to risk losing out on the green light because the bus waits through a red, then pulls forward 20 feet, then you sit there and miss that green. I've asked the bus drivers many times to "just let me off here" when we're almost to the stop but not quite - and had them say no. Very annoying. I get it if they're not fully pulled over or there are parked cars right there - but if it's just curb.....come on. Save us all time. We can walk 20 feet.

If I'm at a stop on Michigan or somewhere with multiple buses I will always wander down to the bus if it's 2nd or 3rd in the line to board. Makes it easier to board at crowded stops than if EVERYONE waits together in one little spot and then every buses have to pull up one at a time. Very pointless and a waste of time for the 2nd and 3rd buses. I'm always annoyed again when I walk 15 feet to get the 2nd bus and the driver points to the actual stop with a bus in it and 50 people waiting to get on. You just end up waiting through at least one light cycle, then you get your bus at the stop, then you wait again.

So much easier to load or empty 2 or maybe even 3 at once near a stop.
its when it is bad weather that walking that little bit if you have packages (nor not).. and they let you out too far back. I know I understand why you appreciate getting off sooner. Luckily the bus driver did both today.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
What happens when there is a bus going down the cross street at the intersection? Does the world end?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
This always drove me crazy with CTA bus drivers on Michigan, State, or Marine Drive. It would be great if they were at least consistent. Some will sit there as the third bus in a line, let people out, wait for whoever walks over, and then leave without ever pulling up to the actual bus stop. Some basically make two stops--one at the back of the line, and one at the actual bus stop. So you kind of have to guess what kind of bus driver you have.

I have definitely been the guy waiting at the actual bus stop, only to see the third or fourth bus in line pull back in to traffic, leaving me stranded. So I usually just chase my bus like a mad man as soon as it stops. Sometimes they won't let you on at the back of the line, so then I just follow it up to the front. It shouldn't be this complicated! And it seems really unfair to seniors or the disabled who might have trouble chasing buses around.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This always drove me crazy with CTA bus drivers on Michigan, State, or Marine Drive. It would be great if they were at least consistent. Some will sit there as the third bus in a line, let people out, wait for whoever walks over, and then leave without ever pulling up to the actual bus stop. Some basically make two stops--one at the back of the line, and one at the actual bus stop. So you kind of have to guess what kind of bus driver you have.

I have definitely been the guy waiting at the actual bus stop, only to see the third or fourth bus in line pull back in to traffic, leaving me stranded. So I usually just chase my bus like a mad man as soon as it stops. Sometimes they won't let you on at the back of the line, so then I just follow it up to the front. It shouldn't be this complicated! And it seems really unfair to seniors or the disabled who might have trouble chasing buses around.
I agree with these statements. Especially on Michigan Ave it's annoying. I would almost think it's best to have two bus stops back to back designating it as a "BUS LOADING ZONE". Put the bus stop signage with the stop listed on two different poles in the middle of this painted off area on the curb. At least then you would know you can have two buses loading at the same time, and if you're the 3rd then just wait your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: