Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,442 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher, and it is much easier driving than taking public transit with tons of teacher bags! So no, I won't be taking public transit to work anymore! Not taking three bags on buses and trains again. I don't have tenure hence why I don't want to assume I will be working in the same school in five years, but I like where I work and currently have no desire to switch.

The specific area of Portage Park I like is along the Irving Park border, that's why I said they seem equally close to the Kennedy to me. I wouldn't want to live much further west than Six Corners, for the same reasons you mentioned. I want to stay near the Kennedy and within a couple miles of fun things. And yes, the northwest side restaurants I like are in Irving Park.

I am also considering just renting in the area too for a couple years to see how I like it. My job is on the southside, near Back of the Yards, but close to the Dan Ryan. So even if I still am working south, I can get to work via the Kennedy. I'll just have to leave earlier than 7:00 am to get to the southside on time!

Last edited by cmhllama; 10-28-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,322,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhllama View Post
I am a teacher, and it is much easier driving than taking public transit with tons of teacher bags! So no, I won't be taking public transit to work any more! Not taking three bags on buses and trains again. I don't have tenure hence why I don't want to assume I will be working in the same school in five years, but I like where I work and currently have no desire to switch.

The specific area of Portage Park I like is along the Irving Park border, that's why I said they seem equally close to the Kennedy to me. I wouldn't want to live much further west than Six Corners, for the same reasons you mentioned. I want to stay near the Kennedy and within a couple miles of fun things. And yes, the northwest side restaurants I like are in Irving Park.

I am also considering just renting in the area too for a couple years to see how I like it. My job is on the southside, near Back of the Yards, but close to the Dan Ryan. So even if I still am working south, I can get to work via the Kennedy. I'll just have to leave earlier than 7:00 am to get to the southside on time!
Ok this makes more sense. I think renting is a good idea to start off with. And just FYI six corners is known for getting horrendous traffic. It can literally take you about 15 minutes to go from the Kennedy to six corners on Irving Park. My dad lives by Laramie and Irving Park and I have been stuck in that traffic jam frequently. Just want to give you a heads up on that.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 AM

924 posts, read 2,105,147 times
cmhllama, just out of curiosity, if you're working over near the Back of the Yards/Canaryville area, what would be the advantage of going anywhere on the Northwest Side's Bungalow Belt? You mentioned briefly in your initial post that Bridgeport was a possibility, and that would seem to me like a much more natural fit. Or, given your stated preferences, I think the McKinley Park area might be even better. I had lived there at one point a while back, and I thought it was possibly the best-kept secret in Chicago. Since then, it has shown some signs of "gentrification," but is a long way from being overrun with hipsters like some of the North Side neighborhoods. It's a generally pretty quiet and safe area, but still with quite a bit of life and personality, and in fact to me feels kind of like some parts of some of the Northwest Side neighborhoods like Irving Park or Portage Park. It's also incredibly conveniently located, easy to get downtown, the North Side, or most of the rest of the city or inner suburbs either by car or public transportation, and yet your housing dollar still goes a little further there than on the North Side. I think I'd consider looking there if I were in a situation like yours.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,471,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Mind you, the six corners are basically at the eastern border/end of Portage Park along with Irving Park. So if anything Irving Park residents probably have more access to Six Corners than do most Portage Park Resdients, with the exception of the ones that leave in the immediate area.

You said you don't know where life might take you in 5 years, which I am assuming means you could have another job, which I am assuming means you might have to take the train in the future. It would suck to live in Portage Park and have to deal with it. I mean it's doable, but you have to take the bus and train, and like I said traffic can get really bad on Irving Park and Addison.
On that note I'll throw in the obligatory plug for Berwyn :-) Similar charming bungalow housing stock as Portage but excellent transportation situs. You're right between I-55 and I-290 and within walking distance from the Blue Line (north Berwyn) or Metra (south Berwyn). My Metra ride to the Loop is just over 15 minutes. The NW side is cool but not convenient to all job bases like direct west areas like Berwyn/Oak Park/Forest Park.

I also think it's going in the right direction. There's a growing influx of people from places like Logan Square, Pilsen, Wicker Park, and similar buying their first house. Check it out.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 AM

439 posts, read 955,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
On that note I'll throw in the obligatory plug for Berwyn :-) Similar charming bungalow housing stock as Portage but excellent transportation situs. You're right between I-55 and I-290 and within walking distance from the Blue Line (north Berwyn) or Metra (south Berwyn). My Metra ride to the Loop is just over 15 minutes. The NW side is cool but not convenient to all job bases like direct west areas like Berwyn/Oak Park/Forest Park.

I also think it's going in the right direction. There's a growing influx of people from places like Logan Square, Pilsen, Wicker Park, and similar buying their first house. Check it out.
They work as a CPS teacher, so not an option.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,890,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhllama View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. FYI I have a car so proximity to expressways and good parking is more important to me than public transportation options. I drive to work. Portage and Irving seem to be equally close to the Kennedy.

I am a single female (in my late 20's), and I don't assume to be married any time soon, so safety is a concern too. I also like ethnic diversity and proximity to vegetarian-friendly restaurants, and by proximity I mean within a few miles.

Avondale is another area I've considered because I like the vibe around there currently, but not if it turns into Logan Square! Don't want to live in a highly-gentrified area or area highly-saturated with people. Pilsen is fun for now, but ideally I want to move someplace more quiet (and safe) when I get a house or condo. I work for the city so I have to live in the city. But I haven't ruled out Pilsen totally for when I go from a rent to a mortgage.

In terms of nightlife, I would like to live within a couple miles of places that are open late for the rare times I do go out. But I prefer good neighborhood bars over anything douchey, like in River North or Wrigleyville. I also want to live in an area with a lot of native Chicagoans, as opposed to someplace with a lot of out-of-towners as residents.
Come to Avondale and you can help us keep it from becoming the "next Logan Square," which to me translates as staying off of the Chicago Reader's radar as long as humanly possible.

I love the political writers, but the arts/music/food critics, having ruined Wicker Park to the extent that now they apparently can't afford to live there, so a few have moved to Logan Square and now pimp it every damn week.

I have several teachers who bought old fixer uppers on my block in the past few years, you'll be quite happy here.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,471,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
They work as a CPS teacher, so not an option.
Yup, see that now. My bad sorry! Galewood may be one to check out too. Nice area, Metra, and borders Oak Park, which has good restaurants and other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago