Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

600 posts, read 755,298 times

Advertisements

I am considering possibly moving to Chicago from Miami due to Chicago's higher wages, lower costs of living, better mass transit, more cosmopolitan, carless lifestyle, etc.

I went there a few years ago during the winter time and have a generally positive view of the city. I would like to live in the urban core and near mass transit and teach in a good public school as that is what I am currently doing for a living in Miami.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,200,850 times
Chicago is a great city and the carless lifestyle is wonderful. The key will be finding and getting hired at a good school in a neighborhood that is desirable to you.

I could suggest any number of urban neighborhoods where you might want to live, however, one that has good, quick public transportation to the school where you are hired is probably important.

Personally, I love the densely populated lakefront neighborhoods on the northside. Great access to the park/lake and lots of urban streetlife/shops/restaurants/etc. I am really into Lakevew, Lincoln Park, Andersonville/Edgewater. Wouldn't consider living far from the lake. But that is just me.

good luck to you

Last edited by soulful; 10-10-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Default CPS hiring process is rather unpredicatable...

While it is possible to be hired to teach in a school that is reachable via public transit there is really no provision for that in the overall hiring process -- it would be sorta random whether you could even get an interview at a school near to a desirable / easy access to transit neighborhood vs one that is rough part of town that you'd really be better off driving to...

Not sure what you earn in Miami, nor how you choose to spend your housing dollars but there is a wide range of potential price points in Chicago, the averages may not reflect a realisitic target.

More details on what your current situation may make it easier to suggest how things might line up in Chicago...

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,584 times
Honestly our PT is very set up to get people to and from downtown. It does that job very well. It is weaker at getting people around the city(it does but driving is faster). I am not sure if school teacher is a good job that works well with transit. Schools can be anywhere. You might not be able to be as car free as you like.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While it is possible to be hired to teach in a school that is reachable via public transit there is really no provision for that in the overall hiring process -- it would be sorta random whether you could even get an interview at a school near to a desirable / easy access to transit neighborhood vs one that is rough part of town that you'd really be better off driving to...

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. Are you saying that teaching assignments / schools are assigned as opposed to being able to apply to a choice of one's choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not sure what you earn in Miami, nor how you choose to spend your housing dollars but there is a wide range of potential price points in Chicago, the averages may not reflect a realisitic target.

More details on what your current situation may make it easier to suggest how things might line up in Chicago...

I make about $43k / year & have about $45k in savings (which I could use to buy a home).

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
I make about $43k
The good news is that you'll likely make more than that working for CPS. The bad news is that you'll be working for CPS.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM

So what are some good schools / neighborhoods where I can focus my job search?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 AM

58 posts, read 138,814 times
Quote:
It's hard to suggest neighborhoods, because you haven't really told us what kind of "vibe" you like. All the neighborhoods have their own personalities. For a teacher, I would suggest the neighborhoods of Lakeview, Lincoln Park, North Center, as there are a lot of professionals living in those areas, the schools tend to be good, and you're very near to public transit.

While I agree that the transit system could use a little improvement getting people AROUND town (rather than just downtown), it is possible. The bus system can get you from neighborhood to neighborhood and fill in the gaps where the El system is lacking. I live in Lakeview and used to commute out to the Irving Park area for work (not an easy trip via the EL), but I made it work. To get between inconvenient neighborhoods, you just have to go out of your way to coordinate bus schedules. If a carless lifestyle is important, it's not hard to achieve.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times
Quote:
I would recommend trying to get a job, first, then considering commute as a factor when deciding which neighborhood to live in. Unless you have a mind-blowing resume you're probably not going to be picking and choosing for your first teaching job in the city.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
While the train system was originally designed to get people to and from downtown, it's complete BS to act like that its own function. It's not as comprehensive as a NYC, but it's just like many other systems. You can easily get from one neighborhood to another on the rail system here. The only thing is again, it's not going to take you to every spot within that neighborhood. But yeah, the system does more than take you to and from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago