Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am new in Chicago and planning to learn driving. I have never drove a car. Could any give me any pointer. Also, any information on the cost associated will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
1) You have to take a course, even if you're over 21.
2) You have to pass your written permit test to be able to drive while someone with a license is in the car instructing you.
3) You can do driving hours with instructors sometimes, BUT
4) Either owning your own car or being able to "borrow" a friend's a lot.
5) For #5 above, to be able to practice, you have to have your permit (from #2) and a person has to be in the driver's seat who also has a license and I think they have to be over 18 (varies from state to state).

I have actually known someone who was in their early 20s who did this. Luckily you can expedite everything. He basically was able to take the course, get his permit, and pass his driving test all within 2 months. If you are 15 years old, that would never happen. Cost? Not sure. I bet the course is at least $100. Permit is probably at least $20 to get. License is $35 or $40 if you pass.

So, the thing is that if you want to have any hope of passing your test, you better have a car at your disposal and someone willing to teach you how to drive outside of your instructors, because if you don't..you aren't going to pass the final exam unless you're a complete natural IMO.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Adult driving school....

You can study the Rules of the Road on your own: http://goo.gl/BSZ0i

It is not a requirement for adults to take driving instruction, however it would be extremely unlikely that you would pass a required road test with out some kind of practice.

You should be able to get about 6hr of instruction for around $300 -- Excel Driving School - Driving Lesson Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravs1986 View Post
Hello All,

I am new in Chicago and planning to learn driving. I have never drove a car. Could any give me any pointer. Also, any information on the cost associated will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi

Last edited by chet everett; 10-01-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
A few pointers:

1. The left lane on the highway is reserved for passing only. If you are not passing somebody, move into the right lane.

2. Dont operate a phone, eat, read, apply makeup, or anything besides drive while driving.

3. Slow down and pull over for emergency vehicles, DO NOT slam on your breaks before doing so though.

4. Keep a 1 Car Length distance from the next car for every 10mph you go. For example, 60mph = 6 car lengths.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
A few pointers:

1. The left lane on the highway is reserved for passing only. If you are not passing somebody, move into the right lane.
lol depends on where you are. If you are in a complex interstate system and you merge into one interstate section and have to merge left in 1.5 miles, probably not smart to go 4 lanes to the right for 30 seconds. Also if you are in the middle of nowhere and almost nobody is around you, it doesn't matter.

But yes, other than that...this is sound advice.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
lol depends on where you are. If you are in a complex interstate system and you merge into one interstate section and have to merge left in 1.5 miles, probably not smart to go 4 lanes to the right for 30 seconds. Also if you are in the middle of nowhere and almost nobody is around you, it doesn't matter.

Well, the right lane can be any one of the 3 right lanes in this scenario. Its easy to move right 1 lane and back again as opposed to the 3 your referring to. But yes, in that case I can understand someone staying in the left lane. If the OP isn't smart enough to know the different though, they shouldn't be driving.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well, the right lane can be any one of the 3 right lanes in this scenario. Its easy to move right 1 lane and back again as opposed to the 3 your referring to. But yes, in that case I can understand someone staying in the left lane. If the OP isn't smart enough to know the different though, they shouldn't be driving.
You'd be surprised, and it isn't apparent to someone who hasn't ever driven. When the person I mentioned before learned how to drive for the first time in his early 20s, I found myself kind of saying "duh" to some things and then realizing these were things you take for granted after you've been driving long enough.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:

In Illinois it's illegal to stay in the left-most lane if you're not passing or traffic is so bad you can't get out of it, and has been for almost nine years now.

Just because you're (apparently) a scofflaw doesn't mean you should be telling a new driver to be one, too. I find it annoying as **** when people are in the left lane for no reason and I'm forced to pass them on the right.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In Illinois it's illegal to stay in the left-most lane if you're not passing or traffic is so bad you can't get out of it, and has been for almost nine years now.

Just because you're (apparently) a scofflaw doesn't mean you should be telling a new driver to be one, too. I find it annoying as **** when people are in the left lane for no reason and I'm forced to pass them on the right.
So you actually think that if you have merged into a new interstate from another one, and have less than 1-1.5 mile to merge left again to yet another interstate, that you should get over 4 lanes of traffic to the right when there's a ton of traffic, just to change back less than 30 seconds later back another 4 lanes of traffic because you're going to be merging in the left lane for a total of 30 seconds?

Yes, I completely understand that if you are on a stretch of 2+ mile freeway/highway/interstate and there's people around you, that you should GTFO the left lane unless there's nobody else on the road. But there are situations where it's completely stupid to change out of the left lane like what's mentioned above.

And although it might be illegal, if I'm in Western Illinois on a highway/interstate and there's literally no cars around me, I could care less about what lane I'm in until I come up upon some more cars.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
So you actually think that if you have merged into a new interstate from another one, and have less than 1-1.5 mile to merge left again to yet another interstate, that you should get over 4 lanes of traffic to the right when there's a ton of traffic, just to change back less than 30 seconds later back another 4 lanes of traffic because you're going to be merging in the left lane for a total of 30 seconds?

Yes, I completely understand that if you are on a stretch of 2+ mile freeway/highway/interstate and there's people around you, that you should GTFO the left lane unless there's nobody else on the road. But there are situations where it's completely stupid to change out of the left lane like what's mentioned above.

And although it might be illegal, if I'm in Western Illinois on a highway/interstate and there's literally no cars around me, I could care less about what lane I'm in until I come up upon some more cars.
A good friend of mine was pulled over on Christmas Eve several years ago by a mean cop for exactly this reason. No one was around her. I wouldn't suggest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago