Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:26 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,255,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
this is funny. my experiences are like yours: in a few times, and each one was a walk through (for the record: only because it is on the pedway and, for what it is worth, going though it is the easies way to get to Millennium Park since there is no south walkway at the intersection of Randolph and Michigan)

plates, I'm not sure if Macy's on State was a store or a morgue. You could roll a bowling bowl straight through from State to Wabash and not hit a customer. Question is, for all the gains was supposed to get from combined advertising through the conversion, didn't they really turn what could have been a profitable store (but only if Marshall Field's was on the door) into a white elephant?
Macy's would have done better if they had just kept the name Marshall Fields and if they really wanted their name out there they should have said that it was part of Macy's. Changing the name, especially in Chicago, was a horrible business move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,327,549 times
Macy's sucks. It has nothing to do either with them getting rid of Marshall Fields. The quality is less in my opinion. I dont do Macy's just Nordstroms now which IMO is the best department store chain.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

832 posts, read 1,734,007 times
I wonder if the CEOs really knew anything about Marshall Field's other than the fact that it's a dept store in Chicago. It was way more than that and changing the store (esp downtown) to some generic dept store (Macy's) was an insult and and (probably inadvertent) jab at this city's history. Aside from being a nice store, the Field's family was big in funding 2 of our most important institutions--U of C and the Field Museum.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I wonder if the CEOs really knew anything about Marshall Field's other than the fact that it's a dept store in Chicago. It was way more than that and changing the store (esp downtown) to some generic dept store (Macy's) was an insult and and (probably inadvertent) jab at this city's history. Aside from being a nice store, the Field's family was big in funding 2 of our most important institutions--U of C and the Field Museum.
So how about we buy Macy's and rename all of the stores to Marshall Field's?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,833,537 times
Fields? I left Chicago and haven't looked back since Speigels left. The Walnut Room around Christmas was one of the creepiest things on earth.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,861,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Macy's would have done better if they had just kept the name Marshall Fields and if they really wanted their name out there they should have said that it was part of Macy's. Changing the name, especially in Chicago, was a horrible business move.
but don't you agree that Macy's could have had its cake and eaten it, too. What would have been wrong with converting some Field's stores to Macy's while keep State Street and those other special locations (I'd say WTP, Old Orchard, Oakbrook, Woodfield, and possibly Northbrook Court) as Field's?

Here's another question to think about: if Macy's Inc. wanted to consolidate its companies so that it didn't have separate chains in each market, couldn't it have consolidated on the basis of 3 brands rather than 2? Those three would represent different type of department stores:

Macy's: middle/upper middle market with full array of departments

Bloomingdale's: upscale, trendy, more limited in scope than Macy's or Field's, but more full service than speciality chains like Neiman's and Saks

Field's: upper middle/high end, full array of departments, service oriented (Nordstrom like), traditional

In other words, it could work not just in Chicago but throughout Macy's Inc. In the Twin Cities, it could have kept Field's in its downtown Mpls location and converted the suburban Field's into Macy's. In other cities, it could have taken some branches of Macy's and made them into Field's; even in metro NYC that could have worked. and Macy's Inc. could even have opened a WTP sized Field's in midtown Manhattan to go along with Macy's and Bloomingdale's already being there.

in other words, Macy's Inc could have gotten creative and actually made things profitable rather than using the short sighted approach that dominates business today.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
but don't you agree that Macy's could have had its cake and eaten it, too. What would have been wrong with converting some Field's stores to Macy's while keep State Street and those other special locations (I'd say WTP, Old Orchard, Oakbrook, Woodfield, and possibly Northbrook Court) as Field's?

Here's another question to think about: if Macy's Inc. wanted to consolidate its companies so that it didn't have separate chains in each market, couldn't it have consolidated on the basis of 3 brands rather than 2? Those three would represent different type of department stores:

Macy's: middle/upper middle market with full array of departments

Bloomingdale's: upscale, trendy, more limited in scope than Macy's or Field's, but more full service than speciality chains like Neiman's and Saks

Field's: upper middle/high end, full array of departments, service oriented (Nordstrom like), traditional

In other words, it could work not just in Chicago but throughout Macy's Inc. In the Twin Cities, it could have kept Field's in its downtown Mpls location and converted the suburban Field's into Macy's. In other cities, it could have taken some branches of Macy's and made them into Field's; even in metro NYC that could have worked. and Macy's Inc. could even have opened a WTP sized Field's in midtown Manhattan to go along with Macy's and Bloomingdale's already being there.

in other words, Macy's Inc could have gotten creative and actually made things profitable rather than using the short sighted approach that dominates business today.
No, I think it was a bad move to rename any of the stores.

They could have renamed some stores and not had such a fallout, but it would have been in their best interest to keep the names. Change scares people.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,903,993 times
let's call a spade a spade here though - when Dayton Hudson bought Field's it immediately starting going downhill. I hadn't been in Field's for years before Macy's bought it out.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM

715 posts, read 1,076,043 times
When I was young, my aunt would take me downtown to Field's to eat on the 7th flr as a part of visiting one of the museums, taking a boat ride, or just doing general shopping. She was a Field's regular and loved getting Frango mints as well. Later in life, when I needed seasonal work one year, I worked a holiday season at Field's on State St and it was the most memorable experience. Had I been interested in a career in retail, I would have wanted to work there long term. I truly enjoyed the co-workers, the shoppers, browsing the different departments, the food both downstairs and on the 7th floor.

I was heartbroken and upset when Macy's was taking over. I had not stepped foot into a Macy's prior to this year when I was on the hunt for a nice (but affordable) dress to wear to a wedding. We were going to the Apple store in Oakbrook and we parked near Macy's. So I said I would take a look to see what they had to offer. I couldn't believe the poor selection available. It was prom season, so a lot of dresses for teen were to be expected, but wedding season is practically at the same time and THAT was all they had to offer? I lamented the demise of Field's once again and headed myself straight to Von Maur as planned. I have not returned since. Mainly because the store has little to offer that can't be found at other similar stores (or even at TJ Maxx) from what I could tell.

Macy's is the equivalent of Carson's back when it used to have a larger selection of brands. Nothing will replace Field's and I am still sad that it is gone. I personally believe that it was better that Macy's did change the name since they didn't plan on upholding the traditions of Field's. No need to taint the name and reputation of the Field's brand if you were going to half-a$$ it.

I'm glad I at least have my memories.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
Nothing will replace Fields for most chicagoans. It was a stupid idea for them to get rid of the fields name and trademarks. However, times have changed and most people have moved on. Still I have yet to shop at Macys. I now go to Nordstroms if I want to shop a department store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago