Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Saw this last night:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...en-food-trucks

It's a start...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
wonderful so now you can grab a lunch fully prepared in the back of an F-10 pickup..

sounds like a great plan...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:48 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
wonderful so now you can grab a lunch fully prepared in the back of an F-10 pickup..

You have apparently not seen the extent to which food trucks have developed in many major U.S. cities in recent years. I've had outstanding food from food trucks, and have wondered why Chicago doesn't really have them. This is a move in the right direction.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I hope you're kidding about an F10 pickup truck. You must not know what a food truck actually is.

1) Food truck doesn't refer to pickup trucks. It refers to big industrial sized trucks that are already operating as food trucks that can actually fit griddles, grills, refrigeration, etc in them with people that can stand up and freely move. There are already food trucks in Chicago, the difference is that they can't cook on board here.

There really is no difference between a very good food truck and a small kitchen, except the food truck is on wheels.

2) The VERY SMALL number of food trucks that operate out the back of a pickup truck you and me can afford, don't cook on board and they would never. The only possible thing they could do is grill, which I'm pretty sure the city would go against. They are right now used for transporting food already made elsewhere and it's kept warm in the truck.

3) Chicago is behind the times. Go to Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, etc. This has been WILDLY popular for awhile and it works perfectly fine. Chicago has food trucks, but the problem is that it requires you to either own/lease or rent out a public kitchen elsewhere to prepare your food, thus greatly increasing the startup cost and reducing the number of businesses that could operate and own a truck.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
We will certainly see , hope I am wrong.
Yes there was a small hint of sarcasm.

I am sure there is an opportunity for the food vendors as well as the city to grab some revenue.

Now I can get a freshly made Elephant Ear and a Lemon Shake up right on the street .

IDK seems like we have fine establishments already in buildings. vs on the back of a truck...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You have apparently not seen the extent to which food trucks have developed in many major U.S. cities in recent years. I've had outstanding food from food trucks, and have wondered why Chicago doesn't really have them. This is a move in the right direction.
Chicago has a number of food trucks, but the food is prepared at a kitchen elsewhere first. The extent of cooking on board food trucks nowadays is equipment to keep the food warm/cold.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
We will certainly see , hope I am wrong.
Your F-10 pickup comment is absolutely ludicrous. I've seen probably about 2 food trucks in Chicago operating out of a regular pickup out of probably 50. Both are pizza restaurants, and there's a cab in the back with equipment to keep the pizza warm.

Again, THIS is a food truck

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Actually, one of the food trucks in town, which is amazing, 5411 Empanadas, has been so popular they're about to open up a store (not a truck) near Clark & Diversey.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago has a number of food trucks, but the food is prepared at a kitchen elsewhere first.
Right. Which is why I said we don't really have them. That's more like a food delivery truck than a proper food truck.

On another note, wtf is an "F-10 pickup"?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
On another note, wtf is an "F-10 pickup"?
Ford F-10

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...10_1600x0w.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago