Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM

44 posts, read 239,610 times

Advertisements

I am a recent single transplant to the area. Moved here 7 months ago and have been living in NW burbs. I work near Schaumburg, with salary in the 6 figures. I am thinking about buying a condo in Lincoln Park because I want to be closer to all the wonderful things that the city has to offer, minus the crime part. I have good credit rating and can afford to put down 20% for anything up to $700k.

Is buying a condo a good idea at this point in time? Specifically:

1) What is the commuting going to be like?
2) What about property taxes, and appreciation? I plan to stay in there for about 5 years.

Any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 PM

96 posts, read 647,826 times
This is a very good time to buy because sellers offer incentives and the prices are below market value. Once this real estate market stabilizes ( prediction is beginning of 2008) prices will go up. To answer your question about commuting. Depending on when you start work, worst traffic going to Schaumburg while driving is between 6:30 and 9:00. Metra is an option but you have to find out if it services the vicinity of where you work.

To answer the second question in terms of appreciation, Lincoln Park is established in its appreciation and value. What I mean is that you get the annual 6% (aprox) appreciation increase vs other neighborhoods like South Loop and River North that appreciate at about 11% yearly. Neighborhoods are a matter of preference as well. At your price point, River North is a much better, newer, full of choices neighborhood and you get more for your money.

Again, it matters if you like to be close to the hippest nightlife in Chicago (restaurants, clubs) or you prefer vintage and a more settled neighborhood. Tax increase is currently being debated, but we will experience one in the near future.

When comparing to taxes in the suburbs, they don't differ by much, but you get more square footage for your dollar in the suburbs. You have the Homeowner exemption in Chicago which you qualify for only for your primary residence. So instead of paying full tax during the year, you pay less (the longer you live in a place the higher the exemption; and it is calculated by the assessors office based on assessed value of your place), but then you received a smaller income tax return at the end of the year. It evens out. It is a matter of how you manage your finances.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Last edited by mdz; 09-20-2007 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Before you buy in Lincoln Park, rent there for a year first. Lincoln Park to Schaumburg is a killer commute unless you get to set your own hours. It's enough to wear down even the most dedicated urban sophisticates, make them plead "Uncle!" and beat a path for the suburbs or an outer-ring city neighborhood. Do that commute for a year and see if you want to do it for several more years. Once you buy in, you can't just wait until a lease expires to get out if you decide you've had enough of the commute.

Since access to the city's amenities is your primary motivation, consider looking in a neighborhood along the Kennedy that's approximately equidistant from downtown and Schaumburg, starting (east to west) at about the Mayfair neighborhood, Jefferson Park, Norwood Park/Old Norwood Park/Union Ridge, Oriole Park, Harwood Heights (technically a suburb but surrounded by the city on 3 and a half sides), and the O'Hare area. You won't be living right in the middle of the action, but you'll have relatively quick and convenient access to several nightlife areas by car (if you want to fight parking) or by public transportation. The CTA Blue Line can take you to Belmont where you can catch a bus to Lakeview or Fullerton where you can catch a bus to Lincoln Park. Or it can take you directly to Bucktown and Wicker Park. Cabs are also pretty easy from both stations, particularly Fullerton.

My wife works in Schaumburg, and I go to school downtown. We settled on an "in-between" neighborhood as a compromise. It has worked out pretty well for both of us. I'm only a few minutes away from the neighborhoods/venues/hotspots that I like to frequent, our rent is cheaper, and while I got the better end of the deal, the commute is at least manageable for both of us.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 42,911 times
Drover, how far and long is your wife's commute??

I will be working in elk grove - right next to schaumburg i believe.

I'm leaning toward a jefferson park which would shorten the commute a little i believe.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Depending on traffic conditions, her commute is anywhere from half an hour to an hour-plus. That said, the inbound commute on Friday afternoons is ALWAYS over an hour, no matter what time of day she heads home. Thankfully, she only works every other Friday. I'd say an average commute for her is about 45 minutes. We could shave about 10 minutes off of that by moving to Jefferson Park, but you'd probably have to add that right back on if you're commuting to Elk Grove.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,676,327 times
Hopefully the OP waited and bought sometime in the last year!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvatasoiu View Post
This is a very good time to buy because sellers offer incentives and the prices are below market value. Once this real estate market stabilizes ( prediction is beginning of 2008) prices will go up...
My oh my how that was wrong!!! I wonder who made that prediction!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,972,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
My oh my how that was wrong!!! I wonder who made that prediction!
For real estate professionals, its always a good time to buy. Caveat Emptor.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
For real estate professionals, its always a good time to buy. Caveat Emptor.
Yeah I know.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,791,291 times
I love renting in this city but I wouldn't buy; I'm afraid the facade will crumble and the whole place will go to Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago