Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,183,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Guilty pleasures: Cans
Yikes, I hope there's a special place in hell for Cans.

Charleston was mentioned, great bar.

It seems like most of us are on the same page regarding the bar scene, so how is it all those TERRIBLE bars we mentioned have lines to get in and all the great bars we've mentioned you can walk in and get a seat at the bar?

Something about the type of ppl who post to internet forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,011,636 times
Quote:
Bull & Bear gets a special nod as one of my least favorite places in America.
I can second that! How did that place escape the 25 douchiest bars list? Every time I've been there the staff is rude and it's a bad experience.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

771 posts, read 1,401,188 times
My problem with Wrigleyville is that it only has two types of people: Young 20 years olds who are just looking to get wasted or douchebags. It's a great place if you want to party hard and get drunk, but outside if that it's not fun.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 3,151,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'd love to hear your thoughts on what bars you love and hate in Chicago.

And just to start, I always loved Sheffield's outdoor area and I hated the Northsider. They wouldn't split tabs, ever. Even for food. Or let you move tables to make room for friends.
Northside used to have this great steak sandwich, but the service always sucked, so I stopped going. If you weren't a chad or a trixie, you're persona non grata there.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,584,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Yikes, I hope there's a special place in hell for Cans.

Charleston was mentioned, great bar.

It seems like most of us are on the same page regarding the bar scene, so how is it all those TERRIBLE bars we mentioned have lines to get in and all the great bars we've mentioned you can walk in and get a seat at the bar?

Something about the type of ppl who post to internet forums?
meh, it's hard to just walk in and get a seat at plenty of the places mentioned...Hopleaf, Map Room, Big Star, the Southern, etc are all jammed on the reg.

Most of the worst places just cater to 18-22 yr olds and the suburban scene.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,070,495 times
Quote:
Bull & Bear gets a special nod as one of my least favorite places in America.
Haha this is so true. Also I notice Map Room gets a lot of love but I really don't get it. I've been there a couple times and it never really did much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Wrigleyville is getting hated on a lot, probably for good reason...the stretch with Moes/Barleycorn etc really is awful. But some of the stuff nearby is pretty good...notably Toons and the aforementioned Sheffields which is an underrated beer destination.
While they are basically right around the corner, the bars on Southport usually are night and day from the ones on Clark. Toons is a nice little place.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,584,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Haha this is so true. Also I notice Map Room gets a lot of love but I really don't get it. I've been there a couple times and it never really did much for me.

While they are basically right around the corner, the bars on Southport usually are night and day from the ones on Clark. Toons is a nice little place.

Meh, I don't like a lot, they are just for slightly grown up wrigley types, same bad beer and same sysco bar food. Toons does some great food.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 3,151,232 times
Not a fan of Wrigleyville either, but Duke of Perth is a nice joint.
Local favorites: Pint, Rocking Horse, Marble, The Beetle, Bullhead Cantina.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,070,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Meh, I don't like a lot, they are just for slightly grown up wrigley types, same bad beer and same sysco bar food. Toons does some great food.
That's very true. I guess I find the grownups slightly more tolerable than the 22 year olds

Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,972,854 times
I havent been visiting places in a while, but my regular rotation involved beer bistro, three aces, square, celtic crossings, and some bar down the street I dont even know the name. I like hopleaf, its just too darn far from where I live now. Everytime I've attempted to go to the map room its been too packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago