Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,905 times

Advertisements

Right now we have AT&T but with the phone bill and cable bill we will save $70.00 per month. I am wondering if there is a catch because I don't really trust Comcast. Also I am wondering if their internet is as good as AT&T?
Any information would really be appreciated.
Also now that they call themselves Xfinity was there a change?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM

60 posts, read 127,924 times
I work for comcast in tech support so I hear both sides of it. It is genuinely a good service. Xfinity is just a new branding for more hd options, more ways to access your services away from home (through cell and internet), faster internet speeds, and more vod selections. It doesn't cost anything extra. You are going to get the best bang for your buck w/ the double play or triple play (the double play promos last for 6 months and the triple play is for at least a year) There is no contract unless there is a great offer like a free netbook or $200 giftcard. I see some people paying 2 times as much as they should on their bills b/c they say they don't 'trust' comcast. I would recommend the professional install w/ any services you get though. Just to make sure everything is set up properly and you are getting good signals. Not only does that eliminate most future problems w/ the service, but you don't have to deal w/ the headache of setting it up yourself if you are not 100% tech savy.

As far as who has the faster speed the last time I checked ATT's info, their fastest speed that they offer is lower that the lowest speed that we have. Comcast has done major upgrades so I see some people that are only paying for 8mbps service but are getting close to 16mbps or higher - ATT can't match that. DM me if you have any other questions - happy to help...no not a sales rep - I don't even know what commission is lol

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

60 posts, read 127,924 times
To determine if they have completed upgrades in your area - just call and ask if they are using Docsis 3 compliant modems in your area yet. Then you will know for sure you are getting the best bang for your buck

Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM

71 posts, read 92,270 times
Infinity is just a fake name for Comcast because they have such a bad rep for customer service in the past that just mention of "Comcast" sends people insane. And it was well deserved. That said, Comcast has got much better at both product and customer service in recent years.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM

483 posts, read 843,308 times
I extensively and heavily use both Comcast and AT&T internet (both in the middle-tier of their offerings) and have yet to really notice a difference.

The only time I notice a relative lag with AT&T is Netflix through the wireless network (but I usually use a wired connection for that), and even then it's hardly an issue. It could be a router issue though since I'm using a base model router with AT&T versus a higher tier router with Comcast.

Getting AT&T hooked up was slightly more horrible than for Comcast, but that's to be expected with both of these reckless organizations. Both generally have atrocious customer service but AT&T would win in that area by a little bit overall (in my opinion/experience).

Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM

3,936 posts, read 6,851,282 times
Ive had ATT Uverse and I have Xfinity Currently. I enjoyed the customer service with ATT much much more, but I enjoy the actual service better with Comcast. The techs that have come out to help me fix issues with Comcast never actually fix anything. Also, they charge you $33 each time somebody needs to come out. Basically here are my pros and cons to each.

ATT
Pro
-Technical Service is awesome and FREE.
-Setup was fairly easy and free, using phone lines so you dont have coax running through hallways.

Cons
- Internet is very slow. Not noticeable for standard internet use, but for gaming it sucks big time.
- No ON DEMAND or anything like it. We did have a DVR though, so that made this point irrelevant.
- Require the use of their proprietary Modem/router all in one. So you cant use an N router if you wanted. (well you could, but it would be redundant)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Comcast
Pros
- Internet ROCKS. Very fast, and fairly affordable.
- ON Demand is awesome. I love watching the free movies, etc.

Cons
- Horrible customer service. Waited once for an hour and half to swap out boxes at the comcast store on North Avenue. The boxes I swapped out didnt fix my issue.
- I have had 3 service calls in 6 months for the same issue. I have been charged $66 and the issue still isn't fixed. I gave up and learned to deal with my shotty service.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,198,229 times

Comcast speed and reliability have been great for me. i use vonage for phone and have had zero problems.

i use directv for tv so i have no idea about the cable service

Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM

588 posts, read 1,802,007 times
Currently have Comcast Triple Play for about 3 years and gotta say zero complaints except just recently they tried to sneak a $30 a month rate increase. All it took was a 5 minute call with a threat to cancel and they gave me the introductory rate advertised. Obviously no $200 gift card new customers get though. It went out 1 time for an hour or 2 in 3 years. Just stay on top of them for rates and you'll be fine.

Before Comcast I had Directv and hated them. At one point my service was out, was out for 3 days and was told it would be 7 days before a tech would be out! Called Comcast to switch and my Directv was still out even after 5 days.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM

928 posts, read 1,716,000 times
Comcast is Satan. That is an objective fact.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,905 times
Thanks so much for all of the reply's!
"Lorielicious"? What was your experience?

I called them yesterday to talk about this service and found out that for the last 3 years I have been charged for 3 boxes instead of 2. It started off bad but when I insisted on getting the nbr for Corporate, they gave me all of my money back which came to $156.00. It took about 3 hours on the phone though. All I have to say is CHECK YOUR BILL!
I usually never did because I don't always understand all of the charges and when I would call about something everybody usually has a different answer.
Like for instance, a few people explained things away by saying I was paying for 2 On Demands (one for each TV). I found out yesterday that On Demand comes FREE with our package.
After all the time on the phone I didn't have the time or energy to pursue this.
Another thing, the supervisor tells me there is a $29.00 fee for them to come out and switch things BUT she "forgot" to mention that the fee was only for the phone and there would be another $29.00 fee for the internet.
I really wanted to get the package but it seems risky because then its like you are at their mercy.
I will keep investigating, I would really like to speak to Corporate, they should know the problems but I couldn't get the nbr. They gave me my money back instead.

"ChiGuy2"?
The supervisor told me there is usually not a charge to fix things because they can fix it without coming out.
She said they charge for something like if your dog chews your line on the inside.
??????
I don't know if they are to be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago