Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz0 View Post
This. If you're Section 8 and raising a kid alone, why give yourself a terrible commute to school on top of it?

Find somewhere on the north side near the Brown or Red lines and you'll be fine. Just avoid the problem pockets like Uptown etc.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in Humboldt Park? Is your job or family/SO there? Unless you absolutely need to be close to HP for something like that, I'd recommend avoiding the area entirely and choosing a neighborhood with a public transit line to DePaul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
another poor quality post, problem pockets like Uptown are exactly where she will find Sec 8 apartments. Some people just don't read.
In the grand scheme of things, a problem pocket is still better than an entire problem neighborhood. Still, you can find section 8 housing outside of problem neighborhoods and problem pockets if you look diligently enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In the grand scheme of things, a problem pocket is still better than an entire problem neighborhood. Still, you can find section 8 housing outside of problem neighborhoods and problem pockets if you look diligently enough.
Of course, but when it comes down to it, dismissing an entire neighborhood like Uptown for someone in need of affordable Sec. 8 housing close to DePaul was terrible advice.

I've never recommended Uptown to someone with a nice budget or someone looking for a hip area but it gets so tiresome when people on razor budgets are constantly told Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, River North etc and reasonable options like Uptown in this case or dismissed.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Of course, but when it comes down to it, dismissing an entire neighborhood like Uptown for someone in need of affordable Sec. 8 housing close to DePaul was terrible advice.

I've never recommended Uptown to someone with a nice budget or someone looking for a hip area but it gets so tiresome when people on razor budgets are constantly told Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, River North etc and reasonable options like Uptown in this case or dismissed.
good point. in fact, one of my oldest friends who grew up just off of Halsted & Armitage recently bought in Uptown.

my feeling is let the goofs keep quarantining themselves, it helps keep some north side neighborhoods affordable for the rest of us.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
I hope you see this! I passed by the Fullerton Court Apartments last night & believe they do accept section 8. These are the apartments that are on the east side of Ashland Ave between Fullerton & Clybourn. You could pretty much walk to DePaul from there, and it is a good neighborhood, considering it is the western end of Lincoln Park. Here is their info:

Fullerton Court Apartments
2303 N. Clybourn Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 871-8505
Office hours: Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri 9am-5pm

Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,369 times
Mister Mappy: Thank you so VERY much for your suggestion! Not to sound to dramatic, but you have no clue how much I appreciate your even bothering to try and help with my search! I will contact them tomorrow.

Aleking: I appreciate your intelligence! It can be very frustrating when your looking for housing using section 8, and people keep directing you to areas that aren't generally accepting of it. With your suggestions, I have actually found three addresses in the Rogers Park area, two in uptown, and one in what I believe is called Old Irving (???) willing to work with section 8. Places I never would have really known to look.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Stick to Uptown and Rogers Park. Old Irving may actually be nicer but it's not terribly convenient to DePaul.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
As I said, I just happened to be passing by those apartments on my way home yesterday, and remembered that I thought I heard they took section 8, and also remembered this thread. Good luck!

ETA: Old Irving is definitely further out from DePaul, but it is also most likely safer than the parts of Uptown & Rogers Park where the Section 8 apartments in those area would be. Just a thing to keep in mind since you have a 2 year old.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 55,238 times
Leave Humboldt Park its not for sale, this is our future and community, and we want to have a strong base for our kids to grow up and understand our culture, alot of Puerto Ricans don't havve that thanks to genterfication and other social and political issues.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanIndependence View Post
Leave Humboldt Park its not for sale, this is our future and community, and we want to have a strong base for our kids to grow up and understand our culture, alot of Puerto Ricans don't havve that thanks to genterfication and other social and political issues.
So whose neighborhood was it before y'all took over? Or are you simply not shamed by such obvious hypocrisy?

If you want your kids to grow up steeped in "your" culture, you can always raise them in Puerto Rico.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanIndependence View Post
Which 'block' do you live on?
Not the one you grew up on, but the one you live on now? You know, just to keep it real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago