Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

What's a land line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,157 times
I'm glad you brought this up. In driving by it, I've always wanted an emergency backup plan for Metra late at night, and I will remember to avoid Green Line at any price. I've considered Cottage Grove before, but I also am concerned about the crowd there. I live in Hyde Park and wish the 6 bus ran just an hour or two later.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM

16 posts, read 38,545 times
Actually it's not in Hyde Park. If it's west of Cottage Grove Avenue it's in Washington Park.

Oh and as for the reference to Hyde Park's ****hole status, you might want to tell leading natural and organic grocer Whole Foods about that, since they've signed on to anchor the new commercial structure going up at 51st and Lake Park Avenue.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabellaK View Post
Oh and as for the reference to Hyde Park's ****hole status, you might want to tell leading natural and organic grocer Whole Foods about that, since they've signed on to anchor the new commercial structure going up at 51st and Lake Park Avenue.
Well it certainly took them long enough!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well it certainly took them long enough!
I agree! Us poor HP'ers used to have to go all the way to the Gold Coast WF until they opened WF in the South Loop...now will not even have to go that far, can't wait!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM

121 posts, read 216,709 times
Before Whole Foods existed, where did HPers go for groceries? Or did they go hungry?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
Before Whole Foods existed, where did HPers go for groceries? Or did they go hungry?
Hyde Parkers always seemed thin to me....

Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
There was a legendary food co-op for decades, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but my understanding is they overexpanded and ended up needing to close down.

I shop at the Dill Pickle Co-op in Logan Square for produce, coffee and dairy (not so much for canned and boxed foods), co-ops could be a much better solution for the "food desert" areas in Chicago that seem to think it's either Wal-Mart or eating fast food. With the co-op the food is local, the decision making is done by your community, and more money circulates in your community as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
We have a Treasure Island at 55th and Lake Park Ave...this site was the former home of the 'Co-Op' which was voted out of existence due to it's archaic ownership and management structure, and the space which is owned by U. of Chicago was then leased to Treasure Island.

We also have 'Hyde Park Produce' on 53rd and Kimbark, 'Village Foods' on 51st and Lake Park (this is where the Whole Foods will be located) and 'Michael's Fresh' on 47th and Lake Park.

One of the reasons that WF decided to open in Hyde Park is that they saw from their South Loop and Huron St., store receipts that many Hyde Parkers were coming north to shop at their other stores.

Many retailers are under the false impression that there is no purchasing power on the south side...and paint the whole south side with one broad stroke...they are definitely missing out on a lot of $$$ with this attitude. The good news is that this is slowly changing...the 53rd St., business district is currently under construction...new Hyatt Hotel, LA Fitness, Akira Clothing, PJ Clarkes 24 diner, and a theater all coming soon

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
There has always been a few decent sources of food and produce in HP .. 57th street had 2 smaller Neighborhood groceries .. Kimbark Plaza has always had a supermarket of some sorts ( I recall Mr. G's) , The Co-op , Village Center which began with a 24 hour A & P .. We never had a Jewel or Dominicks, but we didn't really need one .. I would never have lumped Hyde Park in with 'food desert' communities .. 47th Street/ North Kenwood and Oakland was pretty sparse until recent renewal .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago