Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

I think I do. Depending upon the poster the area seems to be primarily PR, with Mexican and perhaps a smaller goup of others. A former poster spoke often of his Mexican girffriend and how bad HP was. I don't know it to be a fact. I've had vast experience in other sections of the country that had a large low pay Latino population. Some of what I read about HP jives with my experience and some does not - particularly the excessive violence. It is very difficult to sort truth from disinformation in a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 AM

207 posts, read 506,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think I do. Depending upon the poster the area seems to be primarily PR, with Mexican and perhaps a smaller goup of others. A former poster spoke often of his Mexican girffriend and how bad HP was. I don't know it to be a fact. I've had vast experience in other sections of the country that had a large low pay Latino population. Some of what I read about HP jives with my experience and some does not - particularly the excessive violence. It is very difficult to sort truth from disinformation in a forum.
I was just confused as to what the southside African American population has to do with this particular thread....I completely missed the connection or point you were trying to make...thats all. Humboldt Park is mainly PR. Have you ever been to Humboldt Park?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Actually, when you get south and west of Grand, Humboldt Park becomes primarily African-American, and even north of Grand, there is a significant AA population.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
I am Puerto Rican myself and I don't think Chicago is kicking us out, rather just the troublemakers and also the poorer ones which just happen to be in Humboldt Park. You can find several Puerto Ricans in Logan Square, Avondale, Irving Park and sprinkled throughout the rest of the northwest side.

I might get in trouble for this comment but it's the truth: There is a difference in the Puerto Ricans in Humboldt Park and a difference in the ones throughout the rest of the city. From my experience many of the Puerto Ricans that live outside of Humboldt Park do not like the neighborhood and try to stay away. Many of us even hate the PR festival. From what I have also found is the Puerto Ricans outside of Humboldt Park have a better socioeconomic status. Not always true, but usually that is what I have found.

So I don't think you should say that the city is kicking out Puerto Ricans. Rather it's kicking out Puerto Ricans from a neighborhood that is rather poor and crime ridden. It's not only happening to boricuas it's happening on the southside too.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
I was just confused as to what the southside African American population has to do with this particular thread....I completely missed the connection or point you were trying to make...thats all. Humboldt Park is mainly PR. Have you ever been to Humboldt Park?
HP stops being majority Puerto Rican once you get west of, say, Kimball. Once you get west of Central Park or Pulaski, then I'm sure the Mexicans outnumber the PRs, which are, in turn, outnumbered by blacks.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Where's the OP?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 55,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
HP stops being majority Puerto Rican once you get west of, say, Kimball. Once you get west of Central Park or Pulaski, then I'm sure the Mexicans outnumber the PRs, which are, in turn, outnumbered by blacks.

Well so many Puerto Ricans being kicked out ofcourse any race would now outnumber Puerto Ricans, the city destroying out neighborhood and kicking out our people.

SMH

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanIndependence View Post
Well so many Puerto Ricans being kicked out ofcourse any race would now outnumber Puerto Ricans, the city destroying out neighborhood and kicking out our people.

SMH
Okay, we get it, please shut up now.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
You do realize Humbolt Park is a majority Puerto Rican neighborhood on the north side?
It's on the West Side.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanIndependence View Post

SMH
It's easy to hate the idea of gentrification but it's like getting mad at the sharp dude who hooked up with your ex. She didn't leave you because he stole her away. She left you because you treated her like crap and someone else appreciated her and showed her some love. instead of sitting on the couch simmering about how much he sucks, get your crap together, get a job, shave your neck beard, and value and treat the next one appropriately so that it doesn't happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: