Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 75,552 times

Advertisements

I moved over a month ago. I changed all my addresses on ebay but wasn't aware that the sellers take an address to send packages from paypal and I had my old address on paypal. The first package arrived over two weeks ago and it was just a small book. Then I bought a jacket for my friend. I was wondering why none of the items are coming and went to check delivery confirmation numbers. It clearly stated that they arrived and when, and finally I realized about the paypal thing.

So today I went to my ex-landlord and his wife opened a door (after I rang doorbell like five times and waited about 15 min). I said that I'm so sorry for the trouble but I wanted to pick up my two packages. She said that there were no packages and I was like but it says that they arrived. And she was like:"I don't know anything, I work all day" (She's at home till 4, 5 pm). Then I was like:"Can you ask your husband, maybe he knows something about them?" And she said that he's in their other home in Michigan and he also didn't see anything. And then she was like, I don't have time, I have to go to work (it was after 4) and said why I'm crying (I got nervous because I was confused) and also that we weren't fair for them because we didn't clean up after we moved out. I was like:"But we did!" (my mom and I cleaned an apartment very well and it was MUCH cleaner than when we were moving in that place). She was like:"If you say so". And then she told me to leave, I was really nervous and forgot to ask for her husband's cellphone number. But I don't think she would give it to me anyways... She was like why would I take your items, I don't need them etc. And she said that they always were giving us our mail and I was picking up the packages by myself or they were doing it.

I really want to contact a landlord, I don't know what should I do. He probably is going to return from M., on Monday or Tuesday like he always did (they live in the same building as our previous apartment). But he's that old stubborn Polish guy who complains about everything and he's mean and rude(my grandpa is the same I was so happy when I moved to States so I won't have to see him no more but looks like I have a bad luck with people) so I don't know if he's gonna give them back to me or if he'll even open a door. Or when he opens a door he's gonna yell at me and call me crazy and complain that he has no packages.

Also when we lived there he would either make us "boil" in the summer or freeze in the winter. We had to argue so he would turn AC/heat on and he kept turning it off when there were like few days which were warmer/colder than normal. Also he wasn't paying taxes for renting out first floor apartment (the one that we lived in) and was also renting out an illegal basement apartment. We always used too much water, too much electricity etc and a cold water is free in Chicago and they pay for hot one like every three months if I'm not mistaken. Light is not expensive etc. And he always had issues with our cars, we're family of five and we all drive and have different schedules so we have four cars. They were complaining that neighbors didn't like it and constantly were telling us to park somewhere else, we were like:"Uhm, where?" People who lived in basement had two cars. I mean, in Chicago, sometimes you won't get to park in your usual spot and that street wasn't as packed as the other streets in this area and trust me, I paid attention to that. But they had to have some kind of problem... People who live on this street are also mean and they have too much time for finding new "problems".

So given all that I'm really worried that I won't ever get my packages back. Right now I have bad headache after a panic/anxiety attack, I always had them since childhood. I don't know what should I do, I filled a claim to post office that the package is stolen (since landlord's wife said she didn't receive any...). I'm really worried, the book was $5 but a jacket was $100...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
They may eventually be returned to seller. Although sometimes this takes awhile.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astilbe View Post
I moved over a month ago. I changed all my addresses on ebay but wasn't aware that the sellers take an address to send packages from paypal and I had my old address on paypal. The first package arrived over two weeks ago and it was just a small book. Then I bought a jacket for my friend. I was wondering why none of the items are coming and went to check delivery confirmation numbers. It clearly stated that they arrived and when, and finally I realized about the paypal thing.

So today I went to my ex-landlord and his wife opened a door (after I rang doorbell like five times and waited about 15 min). I said that I'm so sorry for the trouble but I wanted to pick up my two packages. She said that there were no packages and I was like but it says that they arrived. And she was like:"I don't know anything, I work all day" (She's at home till 4, 5 pm). Then I was like:"Can you ask your husband, maybe he knows something about them?" And she said that he's in their other home in Michigan and he also didn't see anything. And then she was like, I don't have time, I have to go to work (it was after 4) and said why I'm crying (I got nervous because I was confused) and also that we weren't fair for them because we didn't clean up after we moved out. I was like:"But we did!" (my mom and I cleaned an apartment very well and it was MUCH cleaner than when we were moving in that place). She was like:"If you say so". And then she told me to leave, I was really nervous and forgot to ask for her husband's cellphone number. But I don't think she would give it to me anyways... She was like why would I take your items, I don't need them etc. And she said that they always were giving us our mail and I was picking up the packages by myself or they were doing it.

I really want to contact a landlord, I don't know what should I do. He probably is going to return from M., on Monday or Tuesday like he always did (they live in the same building as our previous apartment). But he's that old stubborn Polish guy who complains about everything and he's mean and rude(my grandpa is the same I was so happy when I moved to States so I won't have to see him no more but looks like I have a bad luck with people) so I don't know if he's gonna give them back to me or if he'll even open a door. Or when he opens a door he's gonna yell at me and call me crazy and complain that he has no packages.

Also when we lived there he would either make us "boil" in the summer or freeze in the winter. We had to argue so he would turn AC/heat on and he kept turning it off when there were like few days which were warmer/colder than normal. Also he wasn't paying taxes for renting out first floor apartment (the one that we lived in) and was also renting out an illegal basement apartment. We always used too much water, too much electricity etc and a cold water is free in Chicago and they pay for hot one like every three months if I'm not mistaken. Light is not expensive etc. And he always had issues with our cars, we're family of five and we all drive and have different schedules so we have four cars. They were complaining that neighbors didn't like it and constantly were telling us to park somewhere else, we were like:"Uhm, where?" People who lived in basement had two cars. I mean, in Chicago, sometimes you won't get to park in your usual spot and that street wasn't as packed as the other streets in this area and trust me, I paid attention to that. But they had to have some kind of problem... People who live on this street are also mean and they have too much time for finding new "problems".

So given all that I'm really worried that I won't ever get my packages back. Right now I have bad headache after a panic/anxiety attack, I always had them since childhood. I don't know what should I do, I filled a claim to post office that the package is stolen (since landlord's wife said she didn't receive any...). I'm really worried, the book was $5 but a jacket was $100...
Please calm yourself. Reporting to the post office is the right thing. You do not have to go back and talk to the Landlords, you have spoken to them, and since they don't know anything about your packages, you then reported the possible theft of mail to the Post office. That is all you can do. Check all your mail addresses, so this doesn't happen again. It may have been stolen by anyone, mail packages, unless they were signed for, might be hard to trace. Leave that to the postal service, and follow-up with post office. I am sorry that your experience w/ this Landlord has left you feeling so worried. But, again....You do not need to confront this man, you already asked his wife, so don't put yourself thru talking to him. Hope you get the package issue taken care of through the postal service. I would suggest for you to go to a counselor to help w/ your anxiety issues. I personally have had to use counseling when I was younger, and I was very benefited by the process of talking to someone professional, and gaining personal insights and ways to help myself. these are just my opinions, Good luck to you.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:20 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Firstly, the ethnicity of the landlord shouldn't enter into your comments. Secondly, the landlord isn't responsible to accept packages on your behalf, especially so when you don't live there anymore. Thirdly, if the landlord did sign for the packages he/she accepted responsibility and has a legal obligation to either give them to you or return them to the sender. Fourthly, maybe you said this and I've overlooked it, did the packages come via UPS, FedEx or the U.S. Mail? If there's a tracking number and a signature required at delivery then you should be able to track them. Lastly, if you did not receive what you paid for notify the sender and also PayPal and ask for a full refund. These are things I would do.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,499 times
astilbe, your landlord is commiting a federal crime. call the police and or the post office. even opening someone elses mail box is a crime.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM

I know that I should not enter landlord's ethnicity to the post but I was so upset and told how it is. I'm also Polish and believe me, I've seen or heard of many cases where Polish people would not keep up with each other but rather look for ways to do something bad only to their fellow countrymen just because. It's so sad... I'm not saying that all Polish people do that because it would be a big lie, I just wanted to explain the case Don't get mad at me please

Both packages had tracking number, they were sent via USPS. It says exactly what time they arrived to that house. I sent an e-mail to post office and it said that they're going to contact me in 2-3 business days. I want to definitely make a police report. But I'm also worried that both police and post office are gonna say:"We can't prove that they have stolen it and we can't do nothing else about it"... That's my biggest concern...Also I was thinking about contacting the seller but doesn't seller pay from her own packet for missing package? I don't want to be a biotch to her. If I would be sure that paypal is going to cover her expenses I would open the case, other than that it doesn't fit in my code of ethics, I don't care how irrelevant it sounds, that's how I am Also I would return anyone's packages if I'd be a landlord, it's basic human reaction of a normal person isn't it?

I should do something about my anxiety issues long time ago but I'm so busy with school and work. I won't go to school next semester so I want to finally do something about it I just don't know if I'll be able to go through the therapy. I'm so tired of getting attacks all the time. I wish I was not having them in front of everyone which means keeping my composure when I want to. I'm afraid that it's not possible and basically I would be a different person if I'd be able to do that:/

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astilbe View Post
I know that I should not enter landlord's ethnicity to the post but I was so upset and told how it is. I'm also Polish and believe me, I've seen or heard of many cases where Polish people would not keep up with each other but rather look for ways to do something bad only to their fellow countrymen just because. It's so sad... I'm not saying that all Polish people do that because it would be a big lie, I just wanted to explain the case Don't get mad at me please

Both packages had tracking number, they were sent via USPS. It says exactly what time they arrived to that house. I sent an e-mail to post office and it said that they're going to contact me in 2-3 business days. I want to definitely make a police report. But I'm also worried that both police and post office are gonna say:"We can't prove that they have stolen it and we can't do nothing else about it"... That's my biggest concern...Also I was thinking about contacting the seller but doesn't seller pay from her own packet for missing package? I don't want to be a biotch to her. If I would be sure that paypal is going to cover her expenses I would open the case, other than that it doesn't fit in my code of ethics, I don't care how irrelevant it sounds, that's how I am Also I would return anyone's packages if I'd be a landlord, it's basic human reaction of a normal person isn't it?

I should do something about my anxiety issues long time ago but I'm so busy with school and work. I won't go to school next semester so I want to finally do something about it I just don't know if I'll be able to go through the therapy. I'm so tired of getting attacks all the time. I wish I was not having them in front of everyone which means keeping my composure when I want to. I'm afraid that it's not possible and basically I would be a different person if I'd be able to do that:/

Thanks for all the replies!
From what you're telling us, I think you have problems to resolve much more important than a missing package or two.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM

49 posts, read 136,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
From what you're telling us, I think you have problems to resolve much more important than a missing package or two.

Thanks.
Ethnic comments aside, I completely disagree, and feel she has a legitimate complaint. Stealing a package delivered by the United States Postal Service is a federal felony, and attempts to trivialize the seriousness of such a crime by placing blame on the victim is just wrong, and not very nice.

Oh, I'd be far more than irate. First, I'd dispute the charges with paypal on the basis that I never received the package. Then I'd go to the post office and request a copy of the signed delivery receipt, which I would then take to the police department and file a report.

If I honestly believed my landlord had intentionally stolen my package, especially if I thought he might regard himself as somehow being "above the law"? Boy, oh boy! I'm not just a biyotch, I'm fairly effective. So the first place I'd start is by checking into the landlord's background, and finding out whether anyone else had ever lodged any type of similar complaints against him, checking first the public records and asking the police, followed by envoking the "Freedom of Information Act" to obtain any and all information on that individual, to find out whether there were other complaints against that landlord, especially from former tenants, who I would try to find, and invite for a nice lunch to get their story. Truth is, I've never had anyone turn down a free lunch and finding people is usually not much of a problem for me.

If I got enough good info, I'd then see if I could get an audience with the local prosecutor. This is close to impossible in bigger towns and cities, but I live in a small village, where prosecutors don't always have their hands full with far more serious matters. I've had some good luck just walking in the door, smiling and asking nicely if they could spare 5 minutes of their time. I've had prosecutors respond by exerting a little pressure, which has sometimes produced the desired results. Other times, at least some additional guidance or at minimum, a sympathetic ear.

If they don't have time though, I thank them, and follow up with a letter, and see who else in my local government I might be able to appeal to, always nice, polite, respectful. I'd see how many complaints I could lodge, and letters I could write, to make sure my complaint was a matter of public record. If for no other reason than to have the information available for the next person that Landlord does something bad and illegal to, and with any luck, I'd be there when he does.

Regardless though, if you don't receive those items, dispute the charges, and don't pay.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 AM

@gomexico

There is no need to bashing me. I always try to be nice to people but if they don't give me back the same then I stop. You're such an ignorant. And yes, your attempt of being sarcastic failed. You're just mean, that's all. Maybe $100 is not a big deal for you and you have a toilet paper made out of hundred dollar bills but for me it's a lot of money.

@sarabeth1111

Thank you for your support. I'm trying to solve the case but right now I don't see the end yet. Paypal won't return me money because it wasn't sellers' fault that I didn't receive the packages. But I want to call them again. The problem is that that I ordered a jacket on my brother's account, I forgot to log him out (he sometimes uses my laptop) He doesn't speak English very well. He tried out but got scared by little homework which drives me nuts, like how he wants to learn how to read and write w/o any practice I'd definitely help him with homework but he'd just want me to do it for him... Anyways, I don't want to deal with all that:"Oh we have to talk to your brother and then we'll see if we can talk with you since this is his account".

And also USPS is so messy. First time I called they gave me a case number for wrong district. They should give me case number for Chicago district and I got the one for suburb that I live at now. Then I got my correct number and I told them that I want to make a complaint about mail theft. I told them everything and then week later I called them back. They were like:"Oh, the packages were delivered and there is no change of address on file for your name". That pissed me off.

They transferred me to inspection department (like they should in first place) and suppose to call me back this week. Right after I said that my landlord stole the packages blah blah the lady said that just because I didn't receive them doesn't mean that they stole them. Like, please. I know them for three years, no packages were ever missing and suddenly right after I moved out there are two missing and they had both tracking numbers. It doesn't make any sense, they are just dishonest people

I don't think that post office will find anything. First of all, landlord's wife never opens a door when she's home unless you call her. When I went to ask about the packages she opened a door after I rang a bell five times in about 15-20 minutes. Second, I know that she speaks English (can't read and write well though) but I'm pretty sure when somebody from post office is gonna come she suddenly will "forget" all the English she knows IF she's gonna open a door.

They not only rent out basement illegally, they did it with our apartment too, my mom told me recently. So they won't ever open a door when somebody from city comes because they are afraid that their neighbors complained about them. Right now no one lives in our previous apartment (my parents drove by twice because they were curious and it's all dark and no cars) but there are still same people in the basement (my dad saw their car). No wonder why nobody wants to live there. He probably asks at least $1200 for small 3-bed (one bedroom has no closet) with one bathroom, very outdated kitchen, old, hard to open and close windows, and paid for laundry. He even changed the temp. so you won't ever get a hot water in a laundry machine. One time we asked him why the water is almost cold there and he was like:"Do you really think that I changed anything, it's not possible to do it!". Lies, lies, lies. He was a "do-it-all" contractor for long time, he owns home and he has no idea about it You can't also regulate the temp. inside the house on your own (plastic cage with a lock over a thermostat). Also apartment is not in a fancy neighborhood by any means, it's not dangerous but super boring and not close to anything special.

I also found out (yes, I called again) that post office should change the address on my packages (the yellow sticker with new address that they put on mail). I changed the address for the whole household on October 14, the first package was mailed in November and second one in December. The lady said that they change address on EVERYTHING. So it's their fault. I'll complain about it after they call me back with my newly opened case. Then probably a trip to police department again (they told me to check out with post office first which means that they don't really care).

Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I think filing a claim with the PO for a lost package is a good idea. There is no way you can really prove your ex landlord stole the packages. Nothing will come of any complaint on that front. It will be a waste of time and there will be no way to find out. My suggestion is to chalk this up to a loss and maybe hope it turns up somewhere. Make sure you have your address changed in paypal. Do not interact with your old landlord and do not come into any contact with the curmudgeons again. Keep in mind there was a ring of people stealing packages in chicago during the holidays so how do you know they were not stolen by someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: