Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times

Advertisements

A lot of people get assaulted during these muggings. It's not 'hand over your money or else', it's a crack in the head with the butt of the gun, or a broken nose before the belongings are stript from you type of thing. Having muggings like that once a week is a little more worrisome compared to muggings where your not assaulted.

Why do you think they got rid of the over passes at uic? Because people were getting raped and mugged. It was a hot spot for voilent crime, and yes, it was a regular occurrence for the larger body of people. Student are the ones typically targeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
A lot of people get assaulted during these muggings. It's not 'hand over your money or else', it's a crack in the head with the butt of the gun, or a broken nose before the belongings are stript from you type of thing. Having muggings like that once a week is a little more worrisome compared to muggings where your not assaulted.

Why do you think they got rid of the over passes at uic? Because people were getting raped and mugged. It was a hot spot for voilent crime, and yes, it was a regular occurrence for the larger body of people. Student are the ones typically targeted.
You are exaggerating the problem. I don't know what your motivation is, but the UIC area is not particularly prone to crime relative to the type of urban environment it is in.

In 2010 there were 7 sex crimes reported in the UIC vicinity. I don't have data on exactly what each of those were, but statistically not all of those were opportunistic, violent stranger rapes. 7 in an area with that population is in line with what you would expect based on the low end of the national average annual rate for reported rapes since 2000.

For the same year, there were a total of 170 reported aggravated robberies, assaults, batteries or non-aggravated robberies. The city-wide average incidence for those kinds of crimes is about .6%. So if the 170 crimes covers the 30,000 people I previously mentioned than you'd expect there to be 180 of those crimes, based solely on city-wide rates.

So, you can fear-monger all you want, but the hard facts are that the UIC area is not more dangerous than the city as a whole.

Stats pulled from UIC's reporting page.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Its always refreshing when some uses hard data to support their arguments. Bravo.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Is that supposed to be re-assuring?

Somehow I doubt that all those crimes were committed against folks that lacked "street smarts"...

Some folks have any awfully wide blind spot when it comes to crime, why is that?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suppose it depends on what you use as your baseline.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:

Somehow I doubt that all those crimes were committed against folks that lacked "street smarts"...

Some folks have any awfully wide blind spot when it comes to crime, why is that?
A "blind spot" would be walking around not knowing or caring what the actual data was and pretending that there are places without any crime or that not knowing about crime somehow means you'll be safe. If you're of the "ignorance is bliss" mold then there's nothing to say to you. But if you're a rational person who recognizes the value of knowledge and can live without his head in the sand then, yes, those numbers should be re-assuring.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 88,654 times
Quote:

Those folks with so-called blind spots may have extended first hand experience with areas under discussion.

Unlike other types, who see fit to make things up from their keyboard.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Ive lived in Pilsen, WickerPark, 'East UIC' and 'West UIC'. Personally Ive never felt uncomfortable in any of the areas, well maybe Pilsen somewhat, but I was also too far west IMO. I wouldnt go for a jog at 2am in Pilsen or West UIC, and wouldnt want to use the Western Blue line at that time either. If money is no objection and you dont mind a longer commute I would go for WP, otherwise UIC and Pilsen are worth looking into.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You are exaggerating the problem. I don't know what your motivation is, but the UIC area is not particularly prone to crime relative to the type of urban environment it is in.

In 2010 there were 7 sex crimes reported in the UIC vicinity. I don't have data on exactly what each of those were, but statistically not all of those were opportunistic, violent stranger rapes. 7 in an area with that population is in line with what you would expect based on the low end of the national average annual rate for reported rapes since 2000.

For the same year, there were a total of 170 reported aggravated robberies, assaults, batteries or non-aggravated robberies. The city-wide average incidence for those kinds of crimes is about .6%. So if the 170 crimes covers the 30,000 people I previously mentioned than you'd expect there to be 180 of those crimes, based solely on city-wide rates.

So, you can fear-monger all you want, but the hard facts are that the UIC area is not more dangerous than the city as a whole.

Stats pulled from UIC's reporting page.
I'm not "fear-mogering", and I have no "motivation" to crap on UIC. 170 reports of "reported aggravated robberies, assaults, batteries or non-aggravated robberies" pretty much is in line with the number I mentioned. Yes, it's not K-Town, but I never suggested it was.

As for the 7 violent rapes of 2010, it was obvious I was talking about a time when they have the over passes.

You can cite the population all you want, and put the raw data up against other local percentages, but it still doesn't change the fact that those types of robberies happen on a weekly basis, with violence involved, in an around the UIC area.

The perception of what is or is not safe is up to the individual to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago