Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmanak View Post
what are your thoughts on:
Washington Park by University of Chicago, or any of the prices within the neighborhoods on the map?
That part of Washington Park won't be diverse, it will be nearly 100% black. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's not diverse.

Additionally, Washington Park is part of the murder belt. No, I'm not being dramatic - I'm quite adventurous, and have been on foot in a lot of neighborhoods, including Washington Park, but I wouldn't want to live there - in the nearly 4 years since January 1st, 2008 there have been 30 homicides in that 1/2 square mile that constitutes the non-park portion of the Washington Park neighborhood. There are about 14,000 people in the neighborhood, so that's an average annual murder rate of 53 per 100,000 people (an annual risk rate of .5% per year, or about a 5% chance of being murdered in a decade), which is 3 1/2 times the city average, over 10 times the national rate, over 3 times the rate for the Near West Side where UIC is (and 95% of the murders in that large community area were outside of the blocks around UIC that I suggested looking), over 5 times the rate in the Lower West Side where Pilsen is and about 8 times the murder rate in West Town where Noble Square is.

Other violent crime, like muggings and assault, are also higher in Washington Park, as is petty crime and burglary.

So, objectively, it's really not an area you want to be living, let alone raising kids. I'm a big advocate of kids in the city - but choosing to live in such a dangerous, demoralized area with kids is really something I strongly advise against. Pilsen and Noble Square aren't perfect, but they both have a strong backbone of law-abiding citizens. They both also have a much better urban neighborhood environment than Washington Park does.

If you want a majority-black neighborhood to consider as part of your mix that has decent transit access to the city center without the insanely high murder rate, I'd recommend considering the Douglas area (not to be confused with the Douglas Park area in North Lawndale). Douglas is kind of between McCormick Place and Bronzeville, including the area around IIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Elgin:
Waukegan:
Joliet:
Although their distance certainly puts them in line with the definition of an exurb, I'd agree they're not exurbs in the sense most people use the term since they all were towns or even small cities in their own right for as long or nearly as long as Chicago has been around, and long before they were considered suburbs of Chicago (with the possible exception of Elgin, which was kind of designed to serve the needs of Chicago).

Joliet is a large river town or if you prefer, small river city that came into the orbit of Chicago and has been subsumed as a suburb.

Waukegan is a very old lake port town/small city that became subsumed as a commuter suburb but is the fifth-largest city on the western shores of Lake Michigan. Its area has had European settlers for about the same amount of time as Chicago has - over 350 years.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM

211 posts, read 501,410 times
Ironically my family is all from lawndale as we are bohemian. I know lawndale has a lot of improvements to make.

I love Douglas area , the gap, and IIT which where my father went. We are still pursuing the south and west side but it has to be on hold til I finish school. We are thinking my husband could go back in October, rent for awhile til I join him again in December. We will rent for the 10 months while actively pursuing the search then. In mean time I'm looking into amendies of things that I want like where trader joes are located and such into a map together a better sense where we want. I am familiar with south and west side much more than the north side.

The feedbacks are needed to be constructed without any predjuice to our wishes. No recomendations for outside of the city is desired, as well ignored. I already know the reputations of some of you, and already know who I want to listen to. I'm sure you understand if you had to listen to people misleading when they don't actually know the answer themselves, I want this to be a good journey not a negative one.

Last edited by msmanak; 12-25-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Removing quote

Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 PM

121 posts, read 216,682 times
Quote:
Ironically my family is all from lawndale as we are bohemian. I know lawndale has a lot of improvements to make.

I love Douglas area , the gap, and IIT which where my father went. We are still pursuing the south and west side but it has to be on hold til I finish school. We are thinking my husband could go back in October, rent for awhile til I join him again in December. We will rent for the 10 months while actively pursuing the search then. In mean time I'm looking into amendies of things that I want like where trader joes are located and such into a map together a better sense where we want. I am familiar with south and west side much more than the north side.

The feedbacks are needed to be constructed without any predjuice to our wishes. No recomendations for outside of the city is desired, as well ignored. I already know the reputations of some of you, and already know who I want to listen to. I'm sure you understand if you had to listen to people misleading when they don't actually know the answer themselves, I want this to be a good journey not a negative one.
I am VERY thankful for your post. I had to dig deep into my e-mail to find my login (it has been two years--wow!) because I wanted to respond to you.

I get so sick and tired of people on City Data steering newbies into yuppy and "safe" (read: majority white) neighborhoods, as if everything outside of Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc. means your life will be in danger 24/7. Too bad there aren't more people like you willing to move into struggling neighborhoods. Struggling does NOT have to mean dangerous! There is great housing stock in Lawndale. It would be great if the neighborhood can turn again. Actually, I'm sure that's in the current mayor's plan but that's another topic. Too bad there aren't more people with your mindset.

I mean if you read some topics here, you'd think the west side just didn't exist. Thank you for not being a yuppy. I wish you the best and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Why not consider Berwyn especially if you have bohemian roots. True the czech factor might be fading out but there is amazing cheap housing stock there and its close to city and transportation. If you go look there, stop at Vesecky's bakery for some houska.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Where to start? I don't have any loans since we have paid for school out of pocket and my desired career is actually very flexible on where I live, with eventual plans of having my own business.

Now not that I want a cheap place but places that are accessible to the loop, I do like the north side but I always loved living near Roosevelt, for it had everything I needed. We did live in river city and I was able to walk to target, grocery store etc. and was an easy bike ride to my old job at apple.

We have a significant amount of money for down payment and can easily get loans for places.

Btw I have absolutely no desire to be a yuppie who lives on Lincoln park, I am white but I want my children to love all kinds of people regardless of Their race. I am hoping to live near the train, the sounds doesn't bother me and I actually feel safer living next to tracks. Blame that on growing up in downers grove by the tracks.

I also considered hyde park, west loop, noble sq (but it's not accessible to train) ill make a snap shot of a map soon circling of areas. We have started researching areas and will be coming back for advices

Again thank you y'all for the ideas and concerns so far
I'm sorry, I'm Black and I found your post comical for its naivete. Oh well good luck to you.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry, I'm Black and I found your post comical for its naivete. Oh well good luck to you.
How am I naive? I've lived in south side and west side and I enjoyed it more than my friends who lived in yuppy areas, who then moaned how horrible ther residents were in that area. I loved my neighborhoods

Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
I am VERY thankful for your post. I had to dig deep into my e-mail to find my login (it has been two years--wow!) because I wanted to respond to you.

I get so sick and tired of people on City Data steering newbies into yuppy and "safe" (read: majority white) neighborhoods, as if everything outside of Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc. means your life will be in danger 24/7. Too bad there aren't more people like you willing to move into struggling neighborhoods. Struggling does NOT have to mean dangerous! There is great housing stock in Lawndale. It would be great if the neighborhood can turn again. Actually, I'm sure that's in the current mayor's plan but that's another topic. Too bad there aren't more people with your mindset.

I mean if you read some topics here, you'd think the west side just didn't exist. Thank you for not being a yuppy. I wish you the best and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Thank you, keep on touch and I'll let you know my journey coming back, looking forward being back to my roots

Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Have you thought of Logan Square? It is a struggling neighbourhood with a strong Polish base.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Logan Square is pretty much the hottest up and coming 'hood in the city, struggling not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago