Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM

771 posts, read 1,397,873 times

Advertisements

If you were 18 I would say College town. However, you are 21, hands down Chicago. There is plenty of college life in Chicago, you just have to seek it out more.

First hand experience here, went to DePaul for undergraduate and UIUC for graduate. Once you reach 21, those college towns and college parties become less and less fun. I for one was sick of the nightlife in Chambana after a month or so in grad school. Why is that? Because as 21+ year old there are so many better opitions and more like minded people in a place like Chicago than in a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do both -- the college experience now, and the big-city experience when you graduate. I wouldn't give up the college experience I had when I was your age (though I'd never have done it again any time after my mid-20s), and you can't really duplicate that experience on an urban campus, even one as relatively self-contained as UC or UIC. It's harder to form a common experience with your fellow students when everyone has a million other things going on around them. When the campus is the major focus of the community, the students are more apt to relate to each other. That's been my experience anyway having attended school both at a "traditional" college town and here in Chicago.
You just have to seek it out more. The college experience in Chambana you don't have to put any effort, but places like DePaul, Loyola, NU etc, you just have to put an effort to get that experience. If anything I found the atmosphere in Chambana to be fun but gets old really quick. There really is not much to do there other than party and creates a wolf pack mentality. That is what I loved about DePaul, I had more opitions being in the city.

At DePaul I lived on and around campus during my time there. Went to plenty of DePaul parties, went to plenty of bars in the DePaul neighborhood, that had plenty of DePaul students and friends from there as well (especially McGee's Thursday nights), met tons of people. Many of my neighbors in LP were DePaul students however many were not either. As much as DePaul sucks in BB I went to games with friends, we would have get togethers to watch the games, drink, went to FEST. I had a traditional college town like experience in Lincoln Park, however I did have to seek it out more.

The point is it, you can have a similar college experience (while it won't exactly be the same) as you could in a college town, however you just have to make some more effort.

I do have problem with certain college towns like Chambana that are very homogenous and have an overall wolfpack mentality where everyone does the same thing on the weekends. I also think cities such as Chicago, LA, NYC, cities so big can also dilute a "traditional" college experience (if that is what you are seeking). I think cities like Madison, Ann Arbor, Berkeley and Austin are pefect places. They are small enough that the university is very significant in the make up of the place, but also large enough or at least part of a large metro, where there are tons of opitions of things to do and it's not so college dominated either.

Last edited by ChikidII; 12-07-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,873,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
I'm single, I'm tired of where I live now, and go to a boring commuter college. I have a good 2-3 years of college left to go. I have the opportunity to move and transfer to a college in a "small" college town with 11k students...

I have the opportunity to move to the great city of Chicago, which I have always loved, with a friend of mine, live in a cool neighborhood, Enjoy the numerous city amenities, and go to a commuter college 30 mins away from where I plan on living.

I'm torn. I really love everything about Chicago more, but my biggest worry is being such a small fish in the huge sea. I also feel like as far as dating goes, I'd have so much competition from all the rich yuppies. I also feel like city life is maybe more for the upper 20s crowd? Maybe there would be more young, accessible women, in the small college town where I actually have an edge over people? I mean I know their are quite a few colleges in Chicago itself, but I'm still not quite sure.

I went to a college town of about 50,000 (70,000 with residential/commuter students and faculty) and I currently live in Chicago and I am in my mid 20's. Before going away to do the whole college campus and education thing, I lived in a small town.

First and foremost, go where you are going to get the education you want and can afford. Where there is a place of higher learning, there will be a place to drink and meet women. Don't worry about that. What matters is you get the education you want and need to keep advancing through life in the direction you want to go.

Like others have mentioned, you can get the campus feel in Chicago because there are colleges with campuses. Not redundant at all, I know . The main difference between your two options is once leaving the boundaries of one you're in a town; leaving the boundaries in the other, you're in Chicago.

The place I went to was fairly "Liberal" given the area, but stepping outside the boundaries of University influence, the rather Conservative city was not designed with college kids in mind. Getting around with the bus was sufficient, but cars are the preffered mode of transit. Sure, some stores and restaurants welcomed the college crowd, and may have actually enjoyed their patronage, but the rest of the city gave off the vibe of, "We don't want you here." That was my experience with one city, this could very well be the opposite of that where you're looking.

Chicago, on the other hand, is something for anyone, no matter the qualitative descriptors used for it's citizens. The amount of bars, restaurants and stores is enough to keep a college kid plenty busy. I hope you have money that will be available to you, or you know, you could get a job, because living a "traditional" collegiate lifestyle (Cigarettes, Late Night Delivery, Alcohol with a $2.50 tax slapped onto every half gallon even after the *normal* taxes are paid) in Chicago can be a lot heftier than in a smaller city/town.

I wouldn't trade my college experience for the world because it has brought me to where I am today, BUT everytime I ride by DePaul University on the Red or Brown Lines, I can't help but think of how incredibly awesome it would have been to attend school, and live, in Chicago. Looking out your dorm room to see the train roll by. Walking outside at anytime and being able to find something to do, someplace to go, something to eat... and be able to get there by any means you want (walking, biking, car, taxi, bus, train). In fact, you can just ditch the car before you leave unless you plan on making FREQUENT trips back to see family, friends, etc.

But I also agree with Drover (I believe?), to an extent.

Going to school there and then coming here could be just as suitable a decision for you. But... living in Chicago at legal drinking age with a job (money) and no other *real obligations* besides school, you couldn't ask for more.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I went to a college town of about 50,000 (70,000 with residential/commuter students and faculty) and I currently live in Chicago and I am in my mid 20's. Before going away to do the whole college campus and education thing, I lived in a small town.

First and foremost, go where you are going to get the education you want and can afford. Where there is a place of higher learning, there will be a place to drink and meet women. Don't worry about that. What matters is you get the education you want and need to keep advancing through life in the direction you want to go.

Like others have mentioned, you can get the campus feel in Chicago because there are colleges with campuses. Not redundant at all, I know . The main difference between your two options is once leaving the boundaries of one you're in a town; leaving the boundaries in the other, you're in Chicago.

The place I went to was fairly "Liberal" given the area, but stepping outside the boundaries of University influence, the rather Conservative city was not designed with college kids in mind. Getting around with the bus was sufficient, but cars are the preffered mode of transit. Sure, some stores and restaurants welcomed the college crowd, and may have actually enjoyed their patronage, but the rest of the city gave off the vibe of, "We don't want you here." That was my experience with one city, this could very well be the opposite of that where you're looking.

Chicago, on the other hand, is something for anyone, no matter the qualitative descriptors used for it's citizens. The amount of bars, restaurants and stores is enough to keep a college kid plenty busy. I hope you have money that will be available to you, or you know, you could get a job, because living a "traditional" collegiate lifestyle (Cigarettes, Late Night Delivery, Alcohol with a $2.50 tax slapped onto every half gallon even after the *normal* taxes are paid) in Chicago can be a lot heftier than in a smaller city/town.

I wouldn't trade my college experience for the world because it has brought me to where I am today, BUT everytime I ride by DePaul University on the Red or Brown Lines, I can't help but think of how incredibly awesome it would have been to attend school, and live, in Chicago. Looking out your dorm room to see the train roll by. Walking outside at anytime and being able to find something to do, someplace to go, something to eat... and be able to get there by any means you want (walking, biking, car, taxi, bus, train). In fact, you can just ditch the car before you leave unless you plan on making FREQUENT trips back to see family, friends, etc.

But I also agree with Drover (I believe?), to an extent.

Going to school there and then coming here could be just as suitable a decision for you. But... living in Chicago at legal drinking age with a job (money) and no other *real obligations* besides school, you couldn't ask for more.
Well put.

College towns will not give you many opitions. Going to the school in the city will. The reason so many more college students drink and party harder in small college towns is because there is nothing to do but that. If you are looking to just party and have fun a college town could be great. If you are looking for something more, then I suggest sticking to the city.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 AM

622 posts, read 1,198,229 times
don't be worried about competing with the rich yuppies for dates. one of the more amazing things i've encountered here is the massive amount of young people living here on basically nothing. i always thought you had to be rich to live in the city. not so. they don't have cable, cars, new clothes, etc. but they seem to be really enjoying the experience living off of their laptops, public transportation, and using what's left on beer.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM

665 posts, read 1,244,576 times
People have gave you some great advice, but I will give you some advice on the dating scene.
The dating scene in a small college town will be better,eventhough there is less people.
like you said before you will have to compete with rich yuppie guys for girls.
In college a campus tends to have the abililty of equalling everybody.so a poor small town boy
might have a shot at associationg with a hott rich girl. If you met that same girl on the redline in chicago or at a river north night club she probably is not going to give you time a day.

also college campus has girls from all kinds socio-economic back grounds,particular
working class white girls,so not being rich is not as a hinderous in chicago most of the chicks
are from middle to uppermiddleclass midwestern suburbs and are not really going to talk someone who does not have alot money. There are some hott girls who are transplants from working class towns
but they are harder to find because they are spread out in a big city,and you still have to compete with the rich yuppies guys for those same demographics of girls in addition to some of the girls are college graduates and are already making good money hanging out with the corporate yuppy crowd at their jobs.

I am a graduate make good money but I have not been able to replicate the quality
of females I dated in college while I have been living in chicago ,and I was considered a ladies man in college

Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
People have gave you some great advice, but I will give you some advice on the dating scene.
The dating scene in a small college town will better,eventhough there is less people.
like you said before you will have to compete with rich yuppie guys for girls.
In college a campus tends to have the abililty of equalling everybody.so a poor small town boy
might have a shot at associationg with a hott rich girls. If you met that same girl on the redline in chicago or at a river north night club she probably is not going to give you time a day.

also college campus has girls from all kinds socio-economic back grounds,particular
working class white girls,so not being rich is not as a hinderous in chicago most of the hott chicks
are from middle to uppermiddleclass midwestern suburbs and are not really going to talk someone who has alot of money. There are some hott girls who are transplants from working class towns
but they are harder to find because they are spread out,and you still have to compete with the rich yuppies guys for those same demographics of girls in addition to some of the girls are college graduates and are already making good money hanging out with the corporate yuppy crowd at their jobs.

I am a graduate make good money but I have not been able to replicate the quality
of females I dated in college while I have been living in college ,and I was considered a ladies man in college
Wow. We all have our own experiences, but I have to say I whole heartedly disagree. I found the girls in the city to be much more dateable. I think for instance in schools like UIC it is mostly made up of middle class to lower middle class students. Places like UIUC are made up mostly of middle class and upper middle class. Now for the private schools like DePaul, Loyola, NU, UC, I can agree that their is a higher percentage of people that come from money. However, wealthier students does not equate expectations that your fellow students will have money when dating.

I have been living in Chicago for most of my 20's during college and post graduate school and I haven't had an issue competing with yuppie corporate guys. If a girl is willing to pick someone else over you because of $ first she is not worth it and second those can be found anywhere, DePaul, UIUC, U of M, NU, Wisconscin, etc.

If anything I found the girls in Chambana to be more about partying/getting drunk and the girls at DePaul willing to take things more seriously.

Unless you meant that girls are just easier to sleep with in college towns....

Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do both -- the college experience now, and the big-city experience when you graduate. I wouldn't give up the college experience I had when I was your age (though I'd never have done it again any time after my mid-20s), and you can't really duplicate that experience on an urban campus, even one as relatively self-contained as UC or UIC. It's harder to form a common experience with your fellow students when everyone has a million other things going on around them. When the campus is the major focus of the community, the students are more apt to relate to each other. That's been my experience anyway having attended school both at a "traditional" college town and here in Chicago.
I agree with this whole heartedly. I definitely think you should move to Chicago -- just not yet!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM

665 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Wow. We all have our own experiences, but I have to say I whole heartedly disagree. I found the girls in the city to be much more dateable. I think for instance in schools like UIC it is mostly made up of middle class to lower middle class students. Places like UIUC are made up mostly of middle class and upper middle class. Now for the private schools like DePaul, Loyola, NU, UC, I can agree that their is a higher percentage of people that come from money. However, wealthier students does not equate expectations that your fellow students will have money when dating.

I have been living in Chicago for most of my 20's during college and post graduate school and I haven't had an issue competing with yuppie corporate guys. If a girl is willing to pick someone else over you because of $ first she is not worth it and second those can be found anywhere, DePaul, UIUC, U of M, NU, Wisconscin, etc.

If anything I found the girls in Chambana to be more about partying/getting drunk and the girls at DePaul willing to take things more seriously.

Unless you meant that girls are just easier to sleep with in college towns....
Most woman tend to date people with in there on socio-ecomonic class.
or marry up its been happening for centuries.
You dont see rich chicks from Park Ridge or Wheaton dating guys from mount greenwood or even ashburnpark or justice. they are definently not going to date some working class guy from springfield atleast not frequently there are always exceptions. Once owman get accusmtoned to a certain lifestyle (eating at 5 star restaraunts she is not going back to applebee's and 5 dollardrinks at he bar.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Most woman tend to date people with in there on socio-ecomonic class.
or marry up its been happening for centuries.
You dont see rich chicks from Park Ridge or Wheaton dating guys from mount greenwood or even ashburnpark or justice. they are definently not going to date some working class guy from springfield atleast not frequently there are always exceptions. Once owman get accusmtoned to a certain lifestyle (eating at 5 star restaraunts she is not going back to applebee's and 5 dollardrinks at he bar.
Right, my point though is this has nothing to do with if you go to a school in a city or to a college town. It just seems you that are saying you go to school in the city = expensive tastes as opposed to going to school in a college town and you don't. I don't find that true at all. I came from a very middle class background and have dated chicks at DePaul that are significantly wealthier than me. I just feel you are overgeneralizing.

Last edited by ChikidII; 12-08-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago