Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,438 times

Advertisements

I've been debating this for awhile. I'll be turning 21 soon, and and currently attend college at IUPUI in Indy. (a downtown "commuter college") I'm single, and I've lived in the Indianapolis metro area my entire life. I'm not very happy here at the moment, and never really have been here. I have had quite a bit of difficulty finding and meeting people my age. I also find that there isn't really much to do here and I am always going to Chicago for things like concerts anyways.

I don't really have anything tieing me down at the moment and am able to transfer to a school in the Chicago area. I am in love with that city and have been there over 50 times. At this point I have two options that I am considering.

1. Stay in the Indianapolis metro area, and move to Broad Ripple (which is an area I've always liked, It's kind of a little hipsterish walkable enclave with a bunch of small independent shops, and bars, but still doesn't even compare to an area like Logan Square in terms of scale, and is mostly a weekend destination) and be able to buy a huge house there, because Indy housing so cheap, and now is the best time to buy.

2. Move to Chicago, my dream city. (I like it more than NYC, and I've been to almost every east coast city) live in an apartment/2-flat/3-flat in a vibrant neighborhood such as Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park, because I can't afford to buy a house in Chicago. (likely miss out on the best time to buy real estate) I feel like I'd never get bored in Chicago, and I'd be like a tourist in my own city. Have so many opportunities to meet people. My living quarters would change drastically from what I'm used to here in Indy, and I'd have to downsize and get rid of a few things or put them in storage. Also I have a dog so that might be a little more difficult for Chicago living.

Last edited by karmapolice2009; 11-25-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
It sounds like you already know what you need to do.

Life's short, and you'll find you regret the things that could have been as much as the bad choices you made.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
Your post pretty much sums it up. You aren't happy in Indy and you are loving the idea of living in Chicago. As long as you have the cash to move/live here do it. End of discussion

I think you will love it. I am familiar with Indy and there simply is no comparison. Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world and you are just the right age to start building a new life here.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
The way you've laid it out, it's really not a choice.

Option One:
Having a big house and no one to share it with and not much to do outside of it

Option Two:
Let go of a few material things and live in areas that have more to do and more people to share your life with

A big house is over-rated, ESPECIALLY when you're young. And there are these things called condos - you can own and get in on a depressed real estate market without having to buy an entire house.

Move to Chicago. If you stay in Indy, you'll be setting yourself up for a life of regrets. Even if you live in Chicago for a few years and decide it's not what you really though it would be, the regret of trying something and it not working out is a lot easier to deal with than the regret of never even trying.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
Do it. I would leave Indy in a heartbeat. there are many transplated Hoosiers here.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
I'm in agreement with everyone else. I'd definitely get over to Chicago. If things don't work out, your hometown is really only like 3.5 hours away by car or bus lol. It's not like you're moving coast to coast or something. Plus you are young and seem relatively unattached. May as well take the chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapolice2009 View Post
I've been debating this for awhile. I'll be turning 21 soon, and and currently attend college at IUPUI in Indy. (a downtown "commuter college") I'm single, and I've lived in the Indianapolis metro area my entire life. I'm not very happy here at the moment, and never really have been here. I have had quite a bit of difficulty finding and meeting people my age. I also find that there isn't really much to do here and I am always going to Chicago for things like concerts anyways.

I don't really have anything tieing me down at the moment and am able to transfer to a school in the Chicago area. I am in love with that city and have been there over 50 times. At this point I have two options that I am considering.

1. Stay in the Indianapolis metro area, and move to Broad Ripple (which is an area I've always liked, It's kind of a little hipsterish walkable enclave with a bunch of small independent shops, and bars, but still doesn't even compare to an area like Logan Square in terms of scale, and is mostly a weekend destination) and be able to buy a huge house there, because Indy housing so cheap, and now is the best time to buy.

2. Move to Chicago, my dream city. (I like it more than NYC, and I've been to almost every east coast city) live in an apartment/2-flat/3-flat in a vibrant neighborhood such as Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park, because I can't afford to buy a house in Chicago. (likely miss out on the best time to buy real estate) I feel like I'd never get bored in Chicago, and I'd be like a tourist in my own city. Have so many opportunities to meet people. My living quarters would change drastically from what I'm used to here in Indy, and I'd have to downsize and get rid of a few things or put them in storage. Also I have a dog so that might be a little more difficult for Chicago living.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
don't do it

Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 AM

289 posts, read 897,354 times
You'd get to live in a city with a better football team!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:12 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,543 times
No one can 'convince' you...
But, they can 'reaffirm' what you are looking for, (the answer that is right in front of you, but, your terrified that it may come to bite you in your toilet region, and then you can blame someone else).

Nada... This is 'your' decision alone. Be a 'big girl' and do what you think is 'right' for you....

Letting others make up your mind, can be disasterous... Making up 'your' mind, is the only way that you will be happy, to bear out the consequences that you may face, and accept the reallities for your own actions. Its what College is preparing you for, to make your own decisions, and be an adult .

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Chicago is only a 3 hour drive from Indy. (3.5 in traffic). You can always go back to visit friends and family on selected weekends. Its not that far.

Also, check into Megabus if you move to Chicago. It might actually be cheaper than Greyhound, and maybe a little nicer anyways. I've never taken it, but it can be a bit of a party atmosphere there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: