Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
and illegal immigrants instead of those that came by way of the laws provision.
If there were no illegals in the "golden past", then why were the Mexican Repatriation (which deported even U.S. citizens) and Operation ******* run?

The oddest thing about those is that prior to 1965, there was no limit on immigration from the Western Hemisphere, the only limits being that you couldn't have an infectious disease, and you couldn't be illiterate (literacy wasn't limited to only English literacy). So basically, for Latin Americans in 1950s and 1960s to be "legal" all they had to do was pay a token fee at an official border crossing. Most probably did, some may not have, but enforcement was generally so lax, and the bar so low anyway that many of the immigrants saw no reason to keep meticulous paperwork records.

That's basically how Operation ******* and the earlier Mexican Repatriation operated - by forcing people who looked Mexican to prove they had paid the fee and come through an official border crossing. There was little or no due process, and no accommodation to find misplaced paperwork, so many citizens or people who had come via legal means ended up being deported.

If you actually read the history of immigration to the U.S. instead of just soundbites from demagogues, you'd know that it's quite complex and the U.S. government has repeatedly violated and capriciously changed its own laws - sometimes retroactively (Immigration Act of 1924) - in ways that can hardly be considered moral or legal in any sense that should apply in a civilized country based on immigration.

EDIT: If you think our immigration policy is so great, notice how the *official* name of the immigration "Operation W.e.t.b.a.c.k." is so offensive that this forum software won't even allow it to be printed. Yet that was the real title fifty years ago.

Last edited by emathias; 12-06-2011 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: irony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Oh, yeah, losing an amusement park with a game "affectionately" called "Dunk the Nig**r" and the site of racial fighting is a huge loss for Chicago ... /sarcasm
That wasn't the name of the attraction, it was called the African Dip.

What I liked about Riverview was that you could go on the spur of the moment; no entrance fee, pay by the ride and get there on the bus. It was a place a kid could go to on his own WITHOUT his damned parents unlike modern parks which are inaccesible to kids not old enough to drive and are usually gone to on planned family expeditions.

And it was in the city not in Gurnee.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
• When grand movie palaces like the Chicago, the State Lake, the Granada, the Uptown, etc., stood and awed their customers....and people dressed up to go to the Chicago, the State Lake, and other downtown movie palaces?
I love going to movies but I'd rather not dress up to go there. I like my movie popcorn drenched with plenty of extra butter, and there's always the chance I might get some of it on my clothes.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The first time I walked into Marshall Fields I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was awesome! The newspapers, and I don't care if it is the Sun or the Trib, they were different 50-years ago. And yes, men wore white shirts and ties to dinner and movies and women's dresses were below the knee and her hats were in fashion too.

The war was over, America was mobile and in many ways it was a more gentle time.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The first time I walked into Marshall Fields I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was awesome! The newspapers, and I don't care if it is the Sun or the Trib, they were different 50-years ago. And yes, men wore white shirts and ties to dinner and movies and women's dresses were below the knee and her hats were in fashion too.

The war was over, America was mobile and in many ways it was a more gentle time.
Most Americans dress like slobs today, myself included. The sixties started all this "dress for personal comfort crap" and unfortunately I followed the herd. Men don't dress like men, they dress like kids. Knee pants, baseball caps and pullovers are the new suave couture. And ladies well,... let's just say that those pastey, gnarley, boney feet of yours don't need to be put on display all summer long, day and night. Throw all those flip-flops and open toes in the garbage so that the rest of us can keep our dinner down.

All that aside, this saturday I will be dining at a nice pricey restaurant just off Michigan avenue and I will be somewhat neatly dressed for a change. It's time to dust off all the pressed slacks and collared shirts in my closet and dress like an adult for a while. No matter how much it hurts.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
Is this regulated only to Chicago or any American city?
every one of them.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Everyone wants the good old days ... but with cell phones and the internet.

Time marches on.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Most Americans dress like slobs today, myself included. The sixties started all this "dress for personal comfort crap" and unfortunately I followed the herd. Men don't dress like men, they dress like kids. Knee pants, baseball caps and pullovers are the new suave couture. And ladies well,... let's just say that those pastey, gnarley, boney feet of yours don't need to be put on display all summer long, day and night. Throw all those flip-flops and open toes in the garbage so that the rest of us can keep our dinner down.

All that aside, this saturday I will be dining at a nice pricey restaurant just off Michigan avenue and I will be somewhat neatly dressed for a change. It's time to dust off all the pressed slacks and collared shirts in my closet and dress like an adult for a while. No matter how much it hurts.
bold: second.

They're just going to call you a conformist and snotty, which I find ironic. I don't mind pullovers since it depends on how they fit the body. Baseball caps are rather stupid in terms of fashion - unless its urban fashion - but then again I only wear a baseball cap to sunny games or if it's really sunny in general, but I'm trying to convert to sunglasses for the latter. And I'm going to purchase a handsome, inexpensive wrist watch so I can stop relying on my mobile for the time.

I follow this site for some tips: dappered.com

Last edited by TheSunshineKid; 12-06-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
every one of them.
That's it, I'm moving to Europe or South America for uniqueness!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
To Hell with Field's, if you want to be nostalgic about Chicago shopping then talk about the Sears on Homan or Weiboldt's and Goldblatt's; more Chicagoans shoped in those places than at Field's which used to be VERY snotty and when I was a kid refused service to Blacks and working class Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago