Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place in Chicago:

a) with cheap apartments ($300 - $500 / month)
b) that's safe, reasonably safe, or safer than most areas
c) access to the metro (for commuting to work)

I am 26 year old, half-Asian half Caucasian, with four years of college, experience in food service, enjoys walking big cities (explored Rome and other cities in Italy and part of Washington, D.C. and New York), loves architecture (would visit some old architecture, such as cathedrals -aren't they grand?!), and wouldn't mind trying to pick up Italian from Italian speaking people in Chicago.

I'm smart, hard-working, and can well I think in any job. If you're looking for someone with prior food service experience (cooking, serving, bussing) or with + 4 years of college, B.A. in theology (theology, + history, + philosophy), please also give me a reply and maybe we can discuss a mutual business venture, via phone or in person.

Last edited by patton137; 11-29-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton137 View Post
I'm looking for a place in Chicago:

a) with cheap apartments ($300 - $500 / month)
b) that's safe, reasonably safe, or safer than most areas
c) access to the metro (for commuting to work)...

I'm smart, hard-working, and can well I think in any job. If you're looking for someone with prior food service experience (cooking, serving, bussing)...
If I'm off base with this, someone let me know (I haven't lived here long).

I think, maybe, maybe that could be done if you happen to find two other people willing to live with you (and vice versa). And it probably won't be as spacious as what, I'm assuming, you would consider "cramped" to be coming from Arizona. If you could bump your price range up, and still have a roomate or two, then you could also fulfill B and C as well.

Finding a job in food service, I would suspect, is not that hard given the large number of restaurants just in the city.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM

771 posts, read 1,397,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
If I'm off base with this, someone let me know (I haven't lived here long).

I think, maybe, maybe that could be done if you happen to find two other people willing to live with you (and vice versa). And it probably won't be as spacious as what, I'm assuming, you would consider "cramped" to be coming from Arizona. If you could bump your price range up, and still have a roomate or two, then you could also fulfill B and C as well.

Finding a job in food service, I would suspect, is not that hard given the large number of restaurants just in the city.

Good luck.
On your own $300-$500 is going to be tough, but not impossible. Finding a studio between $400-$500 is very possible. Finding something below $300, very tough. Now, if you get a roommate, you can definitely find places where you would paying $300 or even somewhat less.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM

124 posts, read 219,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton137 View Post
and wouldn't mind trying to pick up Italian from Italian speaking people in Chicago.
The people of Chicago generally speak 1 of 3 languages: English, Polish or Spanish. Italian is used only in families now really. And if they've even passed it down.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
On your own $300-$500 is going to be tough, but not impossible. Finding a studio between $400-$500 is very possible. Finding something below $300, very tough. Now, if you get a roommate, you can definitely find places where you would paying $300 or even somewhat less.
True, but even then would a price of $400 in a studio alone satisfy his B and C demands?

Like I said, I'm new here, but I didn't think there was ANYWHERE inside the city where $500 could get you more than 300 square feet (if that), a "Not THEE Sketchiest Place in the City" award, and close to a CTA station.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,711,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
True, but even then would a price of $400 in a studio alone satisfy his B and C demands?

Like I said, I'm new here, but I didn't think there was ANYWHERE inside the city where $500 could get you more than 300 square feet (if that), a "Not THEE Sketchiest Place in the City" award, and close to a CTA station.

Right, at least one roommate will be required.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,302,504 times
I live in what is quite possibly the cheapest studio in LP, and it is still quite a bit more than that. That price range would relegate you to the burbs and probably not even the nice ones. Your choices would pretty much be nice exurb, crappy suburb or ghetto. It would help if you found a roommate situation, but even then...

That being said, Chicago is pretty cheap, as far as big, dense, cosmopolitan cities go.

I'm from AZ too and I've really enjoyed the change of pace. Chicagoans tend to be very familiar with AZ, but perplexed as to why one would move from there to here, lol.

There are obviously tons of jobs here, but I feel like the job market is really hard to break into. It seems to require a ton of knowledge and savvy about "how Chicago works," and I think it just takes time to really get that.

Basically, compared to east or west coast cities, Chicago is a bit off the radar, which is both a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because this town is not afflicted with the whole trendy-competitive-touristy-aggressive "important" mentality (for lack of a more succinct description), it's a bit more low-key than all of that.

But it's a curse because people are a bit set in their ways, and not exactly embracing of newcomers. You'll quickly notice that almost everyone is either local or from somewhere in the Midwest, and you'd better learn how to blend in with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: