Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 AM

20 posts, read 64,067 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old college graduate who has had my heart set on living in a city. I would be by myself (no friends/no family), most likely looking to live with a roommate(s), and most likely looking for an entry-level job with a Bachelor's Degree. College was amazing and the best times of my life. But I'm not looking to settle down yet. At all. I'm still ready to experience so much and be YOUNG!

I have heard over & over again how expensive, dangerous and "it's NOT sex & the city" living in a city, like Chicago is. NYC is extremely too large and fast-paced for me, but I think I'm still interested in a CITY, nonetheless. I am desperately looking to meet other young professionals like me, entertainment and a good experience for my 20s, especially my early 20s, as a single. Can anyone offer the realities (cost of living, career opportunities, expenses, transportation, making friends, nightlife) of living in Chicago for 20 somethings in my same situation???

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,904,557 times
Prepare to get down on your knees for a job. Chicago employers are jerks.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,253,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Prepare to get down on your knees for a job. Chicago employers are jerks.

Wow. Don't listen to him. What kind of job? I moved to Chicago when I was 21 and LOVED it!!! There are plenty of good neighborhoods where you can live that are not "dangerous." There are also a TON of good ways to meet people. I can also say that after living in Chicago for 5 years, I went to a few clubs in Andersonville and still met about 10 new people in a night. Expenses, you would need to plan for at least $700-900 in rent (can be more if you want a REALLY nice place or less if you find a roommate). If you don't know anyone, you could try to find a roommate through craigslist or something. Other expenses include gas (for heat...unless you find a place that includes it, can be about $100/month), electricity, cable/internet (if you want them), parking if you have a car, public transportation (About $75 for a monthly pass).....food, going out, etc. Nightlife is great and there are a ton of ways for a young, single girl to meet people!!! Bottom line, if you want to do it, go for it and don't let others disuade you.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM

20 posts, read 64,067 times
thanks jessiegirl for the response. i appreciate it. I am in the journalism/communications industry. When you moved, did you find a job and then move - or - did you move and then find a job. I guess I don't have much connection to the city right now. I'm having issues with my parents about moving without a job (financially dangerous) and my chances of getting an interview/interviewing without living near the job to being with. Any past experiences of friends who have made the transition?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,253,759 times
I actually moved for graduate school, so it wasn't an issue. I do have several friends who secured jobs before moving (before graduating), as well as those who came without a job (key being, they had financial support). I'm sure you can find a job, but it wouldn't hurt to start looking now and say that you are in the process of moving. You could even look for a "filler" job (food service, retail, etc) if to hold you over until you get to chicago and find a job. Look in the chicago tribune, craigslist, sun times, and the chicago reader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago