Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 13,124 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to the Chicago land area (to include NWI) and I am looking for ideas as to places that I can work. I am currently a Domestic violence advocate and am looking to stay in the same field for now. From my research, it looks like Chicago has many different circuit courts and not just municipal and common pleas where I am from. So any help on where I should look would be great. I once heard the Chicago PD was starting a human trafficking task force, anybody know anything about that?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,308,235 times
If the member called Drover is around he can probably tell you about the Chicago courts.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If the member called Drover is around he can probably tell you about the Chicago courts.
Can't say I know much about how to get employment there. I only know of one of my former classmates who works in the county court system (I'm sure there are many more) but I don't have any contact with him. I was actually shocked to learn he was working there -- I'm surprised he was permitted to sit for the bar after committing a serious ethical lapse as an intern. But that's another story for another day.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,308,235 times
The history of the Chicago courts will probably be as useful at this point as any. But there is a little backstory that might make some of the references a little more clear,

By the time Illinois Country attained Statehood in 1818, Chicago was well formed, and the largest percentage of Illinois belonged to what would be called Fulton County. What would become Peoria County and Tazewell County were pulled out of Fulton to form Peoria County. Between circa 1823 to when Cook County was formed, Chicago was a city in Peoria County. Chicago simply had to have a county seat for practical reasons. It was close to a 160 mile ride (14-15 days by horseback through wilderness and farmland to conduct county business in Peoria. Distnce and isolated communities is one of the reasons that Illinois had lawyers assigned to ride a specific Circuit. Abraham Lincoln successfully argued to move the State Capitol from Vandalia to Springfield for the same reason. His Circuit was between Sangamon and Woodford Counties.

Court System

Last edited by linicx; 08-06-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,684,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The history of the Chicago courts will probably be as useful at this point as any. But there is a little backstory that might make some of the references a little more clear,

By the time Illinois Country attained Statehood in 1818, Chicago was well formed, and the largest percentage of Illinois belonged to what would be called Fulton County. What would become Peoria County and Tazewell County were pulled out of Fulton to form Peoria County. Between circa 1823 to when Cook County was formed, Chicago was a city in Peoria County. Chicago simply had to have a county seat for practical reasons. It was close to a 160 mile ride (14-15 days by horseback through wilderness and farmland to conduct county business in Peoria. Distnce and isolated communities is one of the reasons that Illinois had lawyers assigned to ride a specific Circuit. Abraham Lincoln successfully argued to move the State Capitol from Vandalia to Springfield for the same reason. His Circuit was between Sangamon and Woodford Counties.

Court System
Blah blah blah, Chicago has always been the most important part of the state.

Why is Springfield so damn far -- and why did they bust Blago's balls when he spent most of his time in the State of Illinois building across from city hall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago