Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 12,568 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me what the law is about driving with car insurance? i don't have a car but my girlfriend does and i was wondering if it is legal for me to drive her car even though I'm not insured? she has insurance and liability under her name but not my name. thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,307 times
My understanding is that her insurance would cover her car and other cars you might damage as long as she gives you permission to drive it. However, there is also the issue that you could be personally sued if, for example, you injure someone. I assume her liability would cover that up to her limit?

I would have her call her insurance company and check on all of the above. Good luck

Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 AM

588 posts, read 1,801,116 times
You are fine as long as you have a valid license and her insurance doesn't have any exclusions. The car is basically what's insured in simple terms. As an example, if your girlfriend were to drive a car of a friend and the friend doesn't have insurance on their car. Your GF's insurance does not now cover this car.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
You are fine as long as you have a valid license and her insurance doesn't have any exclusions. The car is basically what's insured in simple terms. As an example, if your girlfriend were to drive a car of a friend and the friend doesn't have insurance on their car. Your GF's insurance does not now cover this car.
So, acknowledging that you're not an attorney, what happens if you borrow a car that you believe to be (and maybe even are told is) insured but are stopped and only then find out the car doesn't have insurance? How far do you have to go in verifying insurance to avoid legal problems if you borrow a car?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM

588 posts, read 1,801,116 times
Basically make sure there is, or what appears to be, a valid insurance card in the car. The person operating the vehicle is still the one ultimately held responsible for the vehicle even if not the vehicle owner. So if you are borrowing a car make sure all equipment is working (lights, no loud muffler, etc), and there is insurance because the driver will be held accountable, not the owner. If stopped and unable to produce insurance, a ticket would/could be written.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM

264 posts, read 280,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
So, acknowledging that you're not an attorney, what happens if you borrow a car that you believe to be (and maybe even are told is) insured but are stopped and only then find out the car doesn't have insurance? How far do you have to go in verifying insurance to avoid legal problems if you borrow a car?
You think a Chicago police officer will let you go because you thought the car was insured, but it wasn't? I don't know the answer, but I would want to see the insurance card before driving that car. Jail sucks!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
You don't go to jail for lack of a valid insurance card. You get a ticket. If you get insurance by the time your court date rolls around you're fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Why bother getting insurance and paying all that money when we have people like the OP going without insurance? who cares if i cause an accident? the other person's "uninsured motorist" insurance will cover me. Why bother???

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

264 posts, read 280,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You don't go to jail for lack of a valid insurance card. You get a ticket. If you get insurance by the time your court date rolls around you're fine.
You go to jail if you hit and injure or kill somebody and don't have insurance. It isn't a good idea, my man.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Pretty sure your insurance status is not the issue under those circumstances...

Not sure how things work in Denver but in Illinios vehicular homicide is a whole different class of offense -- felonies generally involve an indictment, trial, sentencing. In contrast violations of the vehicle code are generally handled with a traffic ticket and a possible appearance in traffic court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now What View Post
You go to jail if you hit and injure or kill somebody and don't have insurance. It isn't a good idea, my man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago